PDA

View Full Version : Explain this one.........

Trinity
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
so my 9 year old brings his report card home from school he has a B in Math a B in Language arts and a D in Science and a C in study skills/behavior. Not real thrilled with this report card knowing this child should be getting at least A's and B's.

I then see they had also sent home his assessment test results so I am figuring these will not be real good because his teacher had forewarned me that he did not complete the entire test because he got stuck on a question and would go no further.

Are you ready for his test results??????

His SRI Score which is his reading level should be at the end of the second quarter a total of 550. Jesse's score was a 693! The goal by the end of third grade is 600. So That tells me he is reading at about the end of a 4th grade level or beginning of 5th grade.

Now onto the 4-sight test which is the state performance levels. At the end of the 2nd quarter Jesse scored a 433. Performance levels are as follows limited (less then 385), Basic ( 385-399) Proficient (400-414) Accelerated (415-431), and advanced (432 and above).

Do you see my dilemma. How in the hell does this child not finish the test because he got stuck and score at a Advanced level and then bring home a report card like he did?

manu1959
01-19-2008, 08:26 PM
so my 9 year old brings his report card home from school he has a B in Math a B in Language arts and a D in Science and a C in study skills/behavior. Not real thrilled with this report card knowing this child should be getting at least A's and B's.

I then see they had also sent home his assessment test results so I am figuring these will not be real good because his teacher had forewarned me that he did not complete the entire test because he got stuck on a question and would go no further.

His SRI Score which is his reading level should be at the end of the second quarter a total of 550. Jesse's score was a 693! The goal by the end of third grade is 600. So That tells me he is reading at about the end of a 4th grade level or beginning of 5th grade.

Now onto the 4-sight test which is the state performance levels. At the end of the 2nd quarter Jesse scored a 433. Performance levels are as follows limited (less then 385), Basic ( 385-399) Proficient (400-414) Accelerated (415-431), and advanced (432 and above).

Do you see my dilemma. How in the hell does this child not finish the test because he got stuck and score at a Advanced level and then bring home a report card like he did?

have you had him tested for ADD and the other learning stuff?....

sounds like a smart kid bored stiff...do they advanced classes in your area?

Trinity
01-19-2008, 08:30 PM
have you had him tested for ADD and the other learning stuff?....

sounds like a smart kid bored stiff...do they advanced classes in your area?

Not sure I will have to look into it. It's a small town though so I am not counting on it. I am actually looking into having him audition and try to get into the Cincinnati School for Creative and Performing Arts. Hopefully they have financial aid and scholarships cause I would have a tough time winging the $9,965.34 yearly tuition! :eek:

manu1959
01-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Not sure I will have to look into it. It's a small town though so I am not counting on it. I am actually looking into having him audition and try to get into the Cincinnati School for Creative and Performing Arts. Hopefully they have financial aid and scholarships cause I would have a tough time winging the $9,965.34 yearly tuition! :eek:

i ask becuase my son is fourth grade....tested perfect last year ....this year he doesn't care.....so we are testing him for ADD, hearing, etc....checking if hormones are now getting in his way and just like your child he is into acting and memorize 50 lines for his school play in less than a week....

well the wife is doing all that...i looked at him and said suck it up or you playstation is mine.....

No1tovote4
01-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Because he wouldn't pass one of the more advanced questions to see if he could answer the others to return to the one that flummoxed him.

He likely would have scored even higher had he some test-taking skills taught to him such as skipping the ones that have you stuck and coming back to them later...

My guess is he didn't finish just a small portion of one of the sections of the test.

Trinity
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
i ask becuase my son is fourth grade....tested perfect last year ....this year he doesn't care.....so we are testing him for ADD, hearing, etc....checking if hormones are now getting in his way and just like your child he is into acting and memorize 50 lines for his school play in less than a week....

well the wife is doing all that...i looked at him and said suck it up or you playstation is mine.....

I wish I could have his IQ tested I honestly think he is at a genius level, the kid just gets it, everything, it amazes me how smart he is.

My other 3 children all had to work at school and study, not my youngest that child has never reviewed for a spelling test in his life. He gets the words at school, writes them in his planner and never looks at them again, takes his test and gets an A every single time.

manu1959
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I wish I could have his IQ tested I honestly think he is at a genius level, the kid just gets it, everything, it amazes me how smart he is.

My other 3 children all had to work at school and study, not my youngest that child has never reviewed for a spelling test in his life. He gets the words at school, writes them in his planner and never looks at them again, takes his test and gets an A every single time.

you school dsitrict should be able to test his IQ if you ask.....they will do it at our school...

Trinity
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Because he wouldn't pass one of the more advanced questions to see if he could answer the others to return to the one that flummoxed him.

He likely would have scored even higher had he some test-taking skills taught to him such as skipping the ones that have you stuck and coming back to them later...

My guess is he didn't finish just a small portion of one of the sections of the test.

That's what I thought too. We have discussed that since then, about if you get stuck on a question move onto the next and come back to it later.

Based on what his teacher told me she was very concerned with what his test results were going to be I got the impression from her that there was quite a lot he did not complete.

Trinity
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
you school dsitrict should be able to test his IQ if you ask.....they will do it at our school...

hmmm really I will have to look into that.

manu1959
01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
hmmm really I will have to look into that.

we found out that if the district tells you your child needs special help then they have to pay for it so you have to push really hard...

remie
01-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Sound to me like he isnt being challenged. Thats a tough one to overcome unless his school has the means to treat him individually.