PDA

View Full Version : out of curiosity

01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
how many people here are living in Pennsylvania?

I dont think I am the only one, but I dont know how many other people area. If some of you lurkers are im curious about you as well.

hjmick
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I have relatives in Pa. Out near or in Doylestown/New Britain.

Abbey Marie
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Just over the border, av. Lived in Philly (Society Hill area, Olde City and Head House Square) for several years.

MtnBiker
01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Never lived there, I have drove through it a few times. That's one long damn state, I swear I saw about 30 dead deer off the side of the road.

01-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Never lived there, I have drove through it a few times. That's one long damn state, I swear I saw about 30 dead deer off the side of the road.

if you think PA is a long state drive through kansas

hjmick
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM

Or Texas...the middle, not that skinny top part.

jackass
01-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I have relatives in Pa. Out near or in Doylestown/New Britain.

I used to run around the Doylestown area!

MtnBiker
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Yup, I've done that several time as well. Wyoming is a long strech also.

5stringJeff
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
I've been in/through many times. The longest drive I've ever had (or what felt like the longest) ws Denver to Salina, KS. Flat and wheat for 600 miles.

gabosaurus
01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
You want to see hours and hours of nothing? Try driving from Austin to El Paso. About 10 hours of nothing.

gabosaurus
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM

I dont think I am the only one, but I dont know how many other people area. If some of you lurkers are im curious about you as well.

My friend and bridesmaid Katie was born in Washington, Penn. She lived there until she was 9. Has nothing bad to say about the place (still a devoted Steeler fan), but has no desire to ever go back to the snow and cold winters.

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I've been in/through many times. The longest drive I've ever had (or what felt like the longest) ws Denver to Salina, KS. Flat and wheat for 600 miles.

Story of my life, except it's corn around these parts.

Trigg
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Oklahoma City to Pratt Ks, in 3 1/2 hours we saw a fox, 2 coyote and one car.

The state I hate driving through is Georgia on the way to FL. Seems like that state goes on forever.

As far as Pennsylvania goes I have family in Pittsburg, I've never been there.

Pale Rider
01-23-2008, 12:23 PM

My ex is from Hanover, PA.. A little town just east of Gettysburg. Visited many times. Seems like a world away from Nevada.

gabosaurus
01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Los Angeles to Las Vegas is not exactly picnic country, either. You have about five hours of desert, with Barstow in the middle. I always wondered who wanted to live in Barstow, about two hours from anything.

hjmick
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Los Angeles to Las Vegas is not exactly picnic country, either. You have about five hours of desert, with Barstow in the middle. I always wondered who wanted to live in Barstow, about two hours from anything.

Now you see, I like that drive. There is a certain beauty to the desert.

01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Now you see, I like that drive. There is a certain beauty to the desert.

i agree... there is beauty all around if people pay attention.

theHawk
01-23-2008, 03:03 PM
You want to see hours and hours of nothing? Try driving from Austin to El Paso. About 10 hours of nothing.

I've done that drive several times now. Talk about mindnumbing...:bang3:

manu1959
01-23-2008, 03:04 PM
oddly enough the coast highway from san francisco to san luis obispo is not a drive i will do twice....

hjmick
01-23-2008, 03:11 PM
oddly enough the coast highway from san francisco to san luis obispo is not a drive i will do twice....

This is another drive I enjoy.

Truth is, I like to drive, damn near anywhere.

gabosaurus
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM

My husband and I love taking PCH from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Much more than the 5, which we find dreadfully boring. To each their own, I suppose.

typomaniac
01-23-2008, 06:41 PM
The only reasons I hate the PCH (southbound, at least) are that it's narrow, it's only 2 lanes, and it's extremely close to several-hundred-foot drops. Plus the idiots in RVs going in the opposite direction who drive down the middle of the road.

Classact
01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
My sis-in-law and half brother live in Philly. I grew up in WV and my family moved to NJ. I dated a girl in WV so had to drive half way across PA every weekend to see her. Later when I was stationed in Washington DC I was transferred to Ft. Carson CO and decided to do a "do it yourself" move and rented a large rental truck and moved my own furniture and towed my car behind ... this was via way of MD, WV to PA and then strait west... long ride and yes Kansas is like driving across the moon. While at Ft. Carson my father was in the VA hospital in Pittsburgh and I traveled six weekends in a row visiting him before he died from CO. Long road-trips! I did a business trip to Ft. Hood TX from VA and then drove to New Orleans and back to Va from New Orleans by way of Dallas... did you know you can drive for three and a half hours east of Dallas before you can buy a cold beer? Texas is like driving across Germany twice.

Abbey Marie
01-24-2008, 11:47 AM
The only reasons I hate the PCH (southbound, at least) are that it's narrow, it's only 2 lanes, and it's extremely close to several-hundred-foot drops. Plus the idiots in RVs going in the opposite direction who drive down the middle of the road.

Are there instances of people going over the cliff? Yikes.

manu1959
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Are there instances of people going over the cliff? Yikes.

yes......

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Not me, Kentucky is the only place I've really lived.

hjmick
01-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Try driving the Hana Highway on Maui. A long portion of it unpaved (at least it was when I drove it), about one and a half lanes wide, two way traffic, cut into the side of a moutain with the drop going into the ocean. If you encounter oncoming traffic, one of you needs to back up to the first wide spot in the road to let the other pass.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/hana-highway.jpg

manu1959
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Try driving the Hana Highway on Maui. A long portion of it unpaved (at least it was when I drove it), about one and a half lanes wide, two way traffic, cut into the side of a moutain with the drop going into the ocean. If you encounter oncoming traffic, one of you needs to back up to the first wide spot in the road to let the other pass.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/hana-highway.jpg

did that in a jeep stoned.....took forever.....

hjmick
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
did that in a jeep stoned.....took forever.....

I did it in a Mustang convertible...sober...it still took forever...but it was fun.

manu1959
01-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I did it in a Mustang convertible...sober...it still took forever...but it was fun.

next trip....mountain bikes.....

Trigg
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Not me, Kentucky is the only place I've really lived.

At least driving though Kentucky you get the scenery, beautiful state IMO.

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah I love the scenery. Tennessee to an extent as well but it's mostly just trees. Some windy ass roads here tho.