PDA

View Full Version : My Fiancee & I

NATO AIR
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
One from Hong Kong's Museum of History in September last year.

I'll get a few more up later this week.

Her fiancee visa was approved by ICE last week... now we have to go through the consulate in Hong Kong.... so probably another 3-5 months before she can come here.

Yikes I'm nervous as hell....

82Marine89
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
You're a good looking couple.

Good luck with everything.

NATO AIR
01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Thank you!

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 03:44 AM
Wow! Good looking is right! So glad about the visa finally coming through!

nevadamedic
01-22-2008, 04:33 AM

Her fiancee visa was approved by ICE last week... now we have to go through the consulate in Hong Kong.... so probably another 3-5 months before she can come here.

Don't people automatically get a green card(with a clean background, that is) if your engaged or married to a citizen?

actsnoblemartin
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
NO, stupid fucking government :fu:

Don't people automatically get a green card(with a clean background, that is) if your engaged or married to a citizen?

Yurt
01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
actually, the government waits to avoid fraudulent marriages..... which are rife and often a lucrative way to make money by "making" people citizens

nevadamedic
01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
actually, the government waits to avoid fraudulent marriages..... which are rife and often a lucrative way to make money by "making" people citizens

Yea, but don't they get a temporary one while they wait?

Joan
01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
You sure do make a beautiful couple! Much happiness to you both!

pegwinn
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Outstanding NATO, way to go. Hang in there.

NATO AIR
01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you everyone!

Let's see.. to explain the immigration fiasco..

ICE is **#$().... they don't have enough funding and their rules have been all jacked up since 9/11 and a variety of scares over immigration stuff, as well as general issues with fraud marriages (power of the internet) and the sickening abuse of foreign wives by their American husbands.

So.... right now... outside of the visa-free countries (which is most of Europe), when you apply to visit America (Say from India, South Africa, Brazil, Hong Kong).... you cannot know the length of your visa UNTIL you are on American soil in front of the hated customs officers.

This is why so many rich and middle-class foreigners have come to despise America in a lot of ways, especially those who try to do business here (like attend a Microsoft conference in Redmond or even a US Treasury meeting about the global economic crisis.) You could be an Indian businessman going to that Microsoft meeting which is 5 days long but once you get here you are told by Customs you can only have a 3 day visa. Let's not even get started on tourists.

Its a shame really, people love to visit America and its a memorable thing for many foreigners. They're missing out on that now for no good reason.

Well marriage is interesting... Carey and I could have gotten married earlier and then tried to immigrate over here.... I would have lost my security clearance because of a certain intel officer on my ship though... so I delayed it until getting out.

But for a normal marriage to a foreign national, she would have to apply for a visa here. Then once we were together (a few months later), she would have to back to Hong Kong periodically (2-3 times on average) to obtain time sensitive tests and documents in Hong Kong.

On a fiance visa, she waits a bit longer but can come here (and then we get married within 90 days on American soil) and never has to go back to Hong Kong again for anything for the immigration process. So that saves a lot of money and time and grief.

actsnoblemartin
01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
how sweet, adorable couple. and she is quite a beauty

KarlMarx
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
She's as cute as a button. Lots of happiness to the both of you

01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
cute girl. congrats

Pale Rider
01-24-2008, 09:28 AM

So nice to see a couple working through the proper immigration channels and laws. How refreshing.

Congratulations!

5stringJeff
01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you everyone!

Let's see.. to explain the immigration fiasco..

ICE is **#$().... they don't have enough funding and their rules have been all jacked up since 9/11 and a variety of scares over immigration stuff, as well as general issues with fraud marriages (power of the internet) and the sickening abuse of foreign wives by their American husbands.

So.... right now... outside of the visa-free countries (which is most of Europe), when you apply to visit America (Say from India, South Africa, Brazil, Hong Kong).... you cannot know the length of your visa UNTIL you are on American soil in front of the hated customs officers.

This is why so many rich and middle-class foreigners have come to despise America in a lot of ways, especially those who try to do business here (like attend a Microsoft conference in Redmond or even a US Treasury meeting about the global economic crisis.) You could be an Indian businessman going to that Microsoft meeting which is 5 days long but once you get here you are told by Customs you can only have a 3 day visa. Let's not even get started on tourists.

Its a shame really, people love to visit America and its a memorable thing for many foreigners. They're missing out on that now for no good reason.

Well marriage is interesting... Carey and I could have gotten married earlier and then tried to immigrate over here.... I would have lost my security clearance because of a certain intel officer on my ship though... so I delayed it until getting out.

But for a normal marriage to a foreign national, she would have to apply for a visa here. Then once we were together (a few months later), she would have to back to Hong Kong periodically (2-3 times on average) to obtain time sensitive tests and documents in Hong Kong.

On a fiance visa, she waits a bit longer but can come here (and then we get married within 90 days on American soil) and never has to go back to Hong Kong again for anything for the immigration process. So that saves a lot of money and time and grief.

I've got a friend with a Korean wife, and they're also having a lot of trouble with INS. Sorry. :(

NATO AIR
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
So nice to see a couple working through the proper immigration channels and laws. How refreshing.

Congratulations!

Thank you again for the compliments everyone :-). I'm incredibly blessed to have her in my life.

Yes, they're difficult but the system has to work somehow. And we can use what we learned and experienced to help others do it the right way.

5stringjeff, sorry about your friend and his wife. I hope they can resolve whatever issue there is sooner than later.