PDA

View Full Version : obama not an african american

manu1959
02-19-2007, 02:45 PM
as all yall may know i live in the san francisco bay area....this article was in today's left wing rag

barrack is not an african american because ...... "he is not a direct descendant of slaves and hasn't had what they see as an authentic African American experience. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/19/MNG3AO7BT41.DTL

authentic african american experience....?

02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
He is probably more african American than most of them because he actually has close relatives who are from Africa.

Yurt
02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Could it be he is simply an "American?"

manu1959
02-19-2007, 03:33 PM
He is probably more african American than most of them because he actually has close relatives who are from Africa.

ya know....maybe you are onto something....his relatives escaped the capture and trip to america....maybe obamas crowd did the capturing to create the authentic african american experience .... is it possible obama's family were slave traders.....

think i will make snopes?:laugh:

GW in Ohio
02-20-2007, 09:25 AM
How much would it send some of you right-wingers into a 4-8 year snit if Obama actually got elected president?

Birdzeye
02-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Could it be he is simply an "American?"

Lots of people identify themselves as "Irish American," "Italian American," "Polish American," . . . you get the picture. People do identify with their ethnic heritage.

I see nothing wrong with identifying oneself as "African American." And I do consider Obama to be "African American," because of his ethnic background.

Hagbard Celine
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Lots of people identify themselves as "Irish American," "Italian American," "Polish American," . . . you get the picture. People do identify with their ethnic heritage.

I see nothing wrong with identifying oneself as "African American." And I do consider Obama to be "African American," because of his ethnic background.

I consider him to be mulatto. And I consider "African Americans" to be blacks. But me personally, I'm a Euro-American because I take exception to the term "white."

Abbey Marie
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Really? I don't know anyone who calls themselves by those labels. And I sure have never seen check boxes with those names on on any forms.

Birdzeye
02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Really? I don't know anyone who calls themselves by those labels. And I sure have never seen check boxes with those names on on any forms.

I do, particularly first and second generation folks. My maternal grandfather was a Polish immigrant and my mom's clan flies the Polish flag during family reunions. They are also proud Americans, and served this country willingly when called.

My husband is first Generation German and second generation Irish and is just as proud of his ethnic heritage.

Abbey Marie
02-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I do, particularly first and second generation folks. My maternal grandfather was a Polish immigrant and my mom's clan flies the Polish flag during family reunions. They are also proud Americans, and served this country willingly when called.

My husband is first Generation German and second generation Irish and is just as proud of his ethnic heritage.

Do they identify themselves with those labels? I've seen people who are proud of their heritage, but do not go so far as to describe themselves as Irish-American, etc. That's interesting.

Birdzeye
02-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Do they identify themselves with those labels? I've seen people who are proud of their heritage, but do not go so far as to describe themselves as Irish-American, etc. That's interesting.

It's not like it's a BIIIIIG deal, but ethnic pride is very real.

Of course, everyone's an Irishman on St. Paddy's Day. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
It's not like it's a BIIIIIG deal, but ethnic pride is very real.

Of course, everyone's an Irishman on St. Paddy's Day. :laugh2:

Maybe I don't relate because I would have to go to 3 different countries to trace my ancestors. :salute:

Birdzeye
02-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe I don't relate because I would have to go to 3 different countries to trace my ancestors. :salute:

Well, me too, but I'm definitely half Polish.

My father was more of a mestizo of sorts, so his family didn't have that ethnic thang that my mother's does.

Gaffer
02-20-2007, 07:07 PM
With Irish Germany and Iriquois I don't know what to call myself except ALL AMERICAN.

Nuc
02-20-2007, 08:07 PM
The dudes father was African and he is American, how much more African-American can you get? Not descended from slaves? That's a positive, isn't it? WTF? "African American" is a term which should disappear from the language.