PDA

View Full Version : Job Search Advice?

NATO AIR
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Currently unemployed... I have to have a full-time job at least for the next few months in order for my fiancee to be allowed to come here (somehow, despite getting $1,250 a month for the GI Bill and having all my college expenses paid by a grant, I supposedly cannot support her unless I'm full-time).

January obviously isn't the best month to be looking for a job. To complicate matters, I am unavailable from 1800-2200 because of class on Monday through Thursday. This seems to kill my prospect for any potential grocery store, retail or sales positions.

As far as trade skills go, I unfortunately have none. I did admin, analyst, operations and customer service, multi-national oversight supervisory work in the Navy, with no real expertise in a given field (i.e. electronics, mechanical, medical).

So, definitely welcoming any suggestions anyone can offer.

manu1959
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Currently unemployed... I have to have a full-time job at least for the next few months in order for my fiancee to be allowed to come here (somehow, despite getting $1,250 a month for the GI Bill and having all my college expenses paid by a grant, I supposedly cannot support her unless I'm full-time).

January obviously isn't the best month to be looking for a job. To complicate matters, I am unavailable from 1800-2200 because of class on Monday through Thursday. This seems to kill my prospect for any potential grocery store, retail or sales positions.

As far as trade skills go, I unfortunately have none. I did admin, analyst, operations and customer service, multi-national oversight supervisory work in the Navy, with no real expertise in a given field (i.e. electronics, mechanical, medical).

what city are you in?

NATO AIR
01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
what city are you in?

Greensboro, NC

I also should mention I'm using Monster.com and the local unemployment office.

actsnoblemartin
01-22-2008, 03:20 PM
www.indeed.com

www.monster.com

www.careerbuilder.com

NATO AIR
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Thank you I had not been aware of indeed.com

theHawk
01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
USAjobs.com for all Federal government jobs.

AFbombloader
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
USAjobs.com for all Federal government jobs.

You beat me to this one! There are tons of jobs listed here. From VA to civilian National Guard and Reserve jobs. It is the main site I am using for whan I retire from the AF.

And don't sell your Navy experience short. You leared how to do a lot more than you think. Maybe you need to reword your resume to show this.

http://www.militaryresumewriters.com

AF:salute:

NATO AIR
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Thank you all :-).
I'd tried the USAJOBS.gov site for my area this month.. nothing yet but hopefully next month.

Pale Rider
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Greensboro, NC

I also should mention I'm using Monster.com and the local unemployment office.

This is usually a good place to look for jobs too... http://greensboro.craigslist.org/

actsnoblemartin
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
my pleasure, let me know if there is anything else i can do to be of service whether it involves jobs or other things sir.

Thank you I had not been aware of indeed.com

typomaniac
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
You could try for Heath Ledger's old job.

manu1959
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
wow i researched govt jobs....city jobs....university jobs.....yikes......

dude i wish you the best of luck in your search........

actsnoblemartin
01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
your local career center can help with many free services

Thank you all :-).
I'd tried the USAJOBS.gov site for my area this month.. nothing yet but hopefully next month.

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Nato, I don't know what your area is like, but around these parts many of our groceries are open 24/7, so weird hours are available. I'd do the gov't if I could, though.

CockySOB
01-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Nato, as has been mentioned don't sell your experience short. As a matter of fact, your experience as mentioned would be a highlight when marketing yourself.

Also, you might check in with the NC Employment Security Commission for regular listings. Most states these days have put all state-based jobs through their own office for Employment Security, and it would seem NC is no different.

http://www.ncesc.com/individual/jis/jisMain.asp

And be broad in your thinking - your administrative and managerial experience is invaluable to employers.

NATO AIR
01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you everyone! I feel a bit.... empowered as I look more online tonight and apply to a few places.

Thank you again for the great advice and useful suggestions.

manu1959
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you everyone! I feel a bit.... empowered as I look more online tonight and apply to a few places.

sounds like you would make a good project manager....given your background.....

admin, analyst, operations and customer service, multi-national oversight supervisory work....

a few years back i hired this young lady from the coast guard...she ran the engine room....she is now my studio manager.....basically runs the business side for me......

CockySOB
01-22-2008, 10:25 PM
sounds like you would make a good project manager....given your background.....

admin, analyst, operations and customer service, multi-national oversight supervisory work....

a few years back i hired this young lady from the coast guard...she ran the engine room....she is now my studio manager.....basically runs the business side for me......

I was thinking the same thing. Good project managers aren't necessarily experts at the hands-on portion of project implementation. Instead, good project managers understand how to lead a team and manage the time and resources necessary to complete the project.

Too often, tech projects are managed by "hand's on" personnel who don't have the skills to manage or lead, but have been "promoted" up the organizational structure anyway.

Leverage your strengths, Nato, and you'll find the world IS your oyster!

Trinity
01-22-2008, 10:39 PM

I have never had much luck with the major job sites like career builder and monster.com but try craigslist for your area and your community paper.

manu1959
01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Good project managers aren't necessarily experts at the hands-on portion of project implementation. Instead, good project managers understand how to lead a team and manage the time and resources necessary to complete the project.

Too often, tech projects are managed by "hand's on" personnel who don't have the skills to manage or lead, but have been "promoted" up the organizational structure anyway.

Leverage your strengths, Nato, and you'll find the world IS your oyster!

and in my opinion pm's with a military background are pure gold.....