PDA

View Full Version : Fred's Out and What A Missed Opportunity

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 07:29 PM
for the Republicans:

http://pajamasmedia.com/2008/01/fred_thompson_quits_from_presi.php

Here on this island where I live, just off the West Coast of Florida, we regularly have high-speed boats land dozens of foreign nationals on our beaches — having totally avoided our Coast Guard and other so-called defenses. Boats this big and powerful are capable of delivering to any coastal city in America even conventional nuclear weapons. Truly miniaturized weapons, if they exist, could be carried on foot across the border into even Chicago, Washington D.C. or Las Vegas. The possibility that one of the petro-rich madmen who has promised to see America destroyed is thinking right now about finding a way to give some suicidal terrorist group an untraceable nuclear weapon is, in my opinion, too great a danger to ignore.

FDT clearly understands this. Just as critically, he also understands that our own government represents a danger in and of itself. More than any other candidate, I think he presented the best chance of keeping the beast quick and strong enough to deter our enemies but fully in check. His Federalist insistence on the separation of powers and decentralized governance irritated big government types from both parties, but it would have provided a non-partisan and tolerant middle path at a time of vicious partisanship. He also made it clear that he understands that the national debt and uncontrolled spending are just as existential a threat as nuclear terrorism.

So what happened?

In retrospect, I suspect that the critics who said he started too late were right, though not for the reasons that most posited. Fred was correct when he quipped on Leno that the American people would not hold it against him that he waited a few months to officially declare. Everybody I know, however, underestimated how important it is to have political allies lined up ahead of time.

Most of the leading candidates were working behind the scenes for years, making unofficial deals with the people in every state who know how to wield influence and mobilize the rank and file. Fred, on the other hand, honestly never lusted for the power of the presidency. He agreed, upon significant urging, to run because he believed it was the right thing to do for his children and the country. Politics, however, apparently requires more.

I spoke with a good friend of mine here in Florida who controls one of the state’s most sought-after forums for candidates. An experienced political veteran, he tells me that the value of staff, both paid and volunteer, is demonstrated in the wake of a candidate’s appearance. Both Mitt Romney and FDT have appeared at this venue, and they both generated considerable enthusiasm and interest among local politicians and activists. Romney’s organization was prepared to harvest the excitement he generated, having spent years forming a national organization capable of doing so. The buzz that FDT created was just as great if not greater, but the organization he put together so late in the game was not on the ground to take advantage of the good will he created for himself.

Pale Rider
01-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Gee... it didn't say anything about Fred endorsing mclame... nm is going to be heart broken.

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Gee... it didn't say anything about Fred endorsing mclame... nm is going to be heart broken.

As far as I can tell, endorsing no one. He and McCain are friends. Mitt is more in line with his ideals, but can he be trusted? I really don't know.

gene430
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
No true conservative left in the bunch.

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
No true conservative left in the bunch.

My next 'fit' is Mitt. Whether he'll ride it out? Right now he has the majority of delegates.

Kathianne
01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
A reasonable take:

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/190882.php

January 22, 2008
Fredheads, It's Time to Support Mitt

Mitt_romney.jpgDear fellow Fredheads,

It's time to support Mitt Romney. Can Mitt win in a general election? I don't know. Certainly he has always had a better chance than Fred. And if the opposition is Hillary Clinton, then maybe.

McCain can beat Hillary. But McCain is, well, McCain.

To be honest, I'm not as down on McCain as most of my fellow Jawas and you, the readers. But that's just because I've been a one-issue guy since right around, oh, let me see, I think the date was 9/11/2001.

But still, McCain doesn't get that the border is tied in with our national security.

Mitt does. And he seems to get the war on political Islam.

Sure, Rudy also seems to get both, but it's probably too little too late for him.

I'm hearing some oddball theory that a lot of Fredheads are natural Huckabee supporters. That's insane. Like, certifiably insane.

It's built on the presumption that the evangelical supporters of Thompson are in the same boat as the evangelical supporters of Huckabee. I got news for Tom Edsell: they aint the same animal. Sure, they may have the same funny accent, and so I'm guessing that to an outsider like Edsell the presumption is that they must be the same species. But they're not.

One is a Christian and a conservative, the other is just a Christian. One liked Thompson's policy positions in spite of his rather flawed character. The other likes Huckabee because he's a Christian. A good guy. God's man in the White House. Yup, that's about as deep as it gets.

Go check out the results of Ace's poll here. I see one vote for Huckabee. I'm guessing that was Slu. But he's probably drunk. And I mean smashed. [Update: Allahpundit has a poll out now, too, but doesn't even have Huckabee as a choice. Guess who's WAY ahead?]

I suspect that former Fredheads for McCain are jumping on the Mac is back train because they want to support a guy who can win. I can respect that. Politics isn't religion. You don't need to go to confession after pulling the lever for a guy you can barely stand. You don't get cooties from voting.

But I think Romney can win too. His chances are less than that of McCain, but I think it's doable. And he's by far the most conservative guy left in the race, save possibly Rudy.

Sure, he's a Mormon, and I think that there are just enough bigots out there that won't ever vote for a Mormon. A fair number of those are Huckabee supporters. But since the race may come down to the choice between a Mormon, a black guy, or a woman, I think we can safely assume that the morons will just stay home and not affect the outcome of the election....

Yurt
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM

more like thte back of his mountain is going to be broken