PDA

View Full Version : Hillary says Confederate flag should be removed

02-19-2007, 05:36 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_on_el_pr/clinton2008

So we can unite under one banner during a time of war.

Now I don't really care at all about the Confederate flag. But isnt this alittle hypocritical of Hillary? I mean for the past 4 years she has been advocating that it's perfectly alright to dissent and disagree and oppose/undermine foreign policy in a time of war. That's perfectly alright, but we need to make sure we do it under one flag?

I'm sorry but I seriously have to question of someone who thinks is more important to only one flag during a time of war and yet vote for a resolution opposing our attempts to empower our troops. (Especially when there is one flag over all of us and South Carolina just happens to have a second one).

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 05:45 PM
She's pandering to the southern black vote before it gets away.

manu1959
02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
She's pandering to the southern black vote before it gets away.

why would she do that .... all yall know a black mans greatest ambition is a white woman

Nuc
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
why would she do that .... all yall know a black mans greatest ambition is a white woman

Ouch! and they don't mind "big booty".

Looks like typical Hillary pandering. It's a non-issue. Personally I am from the north and hate the Confederate flag, but I don't think it's a make or break issue regarding defeat or victory in Iraq. Dumb.

Gaffer
02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
The confederate flag is a part of our history, a very important part.

She's just doing her yankee thing for the black vote. It will be forgotten next week unless she harps on it.

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Errr...that would be a blonde white woman.

Yurt
02-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I have never really understood this issue or "non" issue. Weren't there states flying the equivilent of the modern red, white and blue who had black slaves too? I thought the flag was about more, much more than just slavery.

Hugh Lincoln
02-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Slavery was dumb. But I love the Confederate flag because it's a big "fuck you" to the forces of political correctness.

manu1959
02-19-2007, 07:01 PM
flew this flag once...

http://www.united-states-flag.com/unkifl.html

black oakland neighbors flipped out....

they thought it was this?

http://www.united-states-flag.com/cociwar.html

Yurt
02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
flew this flag once...

http://www.united-states-flag.com/unkifl.html

black oakland neighbors flipped out....

they thought it was this?

http://www.united-states-flag.com/cociwar.html

That is actually sad, sad state of education.

Still, what is the big deal? I haven't researched it indepth, but the flag does not "solely" represent [I want to own slaves, etc], it is more than that. Why is it black people are offended when the US flag has flown in slave owning states. Don't tell me they think this flag is the only flag flown under slave ownership...

Nuc
02-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Slavery was dumb. But I love the Confederate flag because it's a big "fuck you" to the forces of political correctness.

Back in the early days of punk rock some wore swastikas and other Nazi memorablilia for the same reason. To be provocative. It's a slippery slope.

trobinett
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Back in the early days of punk rock some wore swastikas and other Nazi memorablilia for the same reason. To be provocative. It's a slippery slope.

Yea, Nuc is on the "high ground" here. I'm from the South, and I got no problems with the Confederate flag, but I also know that many do.

In today's environment, ya got to give a little to get a little, the Confederate flag is a little "over the top".

Hugh Lincoln
02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
In today's environment, ya got to give a little to get a little, the Confederate flag is a little "over the top".

Problem is, trobinett, whites do all the giving and everyone else does all the getting. And it solves nothing. The rest keep bitching and demanding more, more, more! And whites keep apologizing, getting on their knees, begging for forgiveness. But we keep getting smacked. It ain't just the Confederate flag.

They won't rest until WE are removed.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Now I don't really care at all about the Confederate flag. But isnt this alittle hypocritical of Hillary? I mean for the past 4 years she has been advocating that it's perfectly alright to dissent and disagree and oppose/undermine foreign policy in a time of war. That's perfectly alright, but we need to make sure we do it under one flag?

I'm sorry but I seriously have to question of someone who thinks is more important to only one flag during a time of war and yet vote for a resolution opposing our attempts to empower our troops. (Especially when there is one flag over all of us and South Carolina just happens to have a second one).

She can come take the one in my garage down, and I hope she brings Bubba along to help. I can put a hurtin' on the Clinton lineage REAL quick.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 09:38 PM

You just made me ashamed I have one.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
That is actually sad, sad state of education.

Still, what is the big deal? I haven't researched it indepth, but the flag does not "solely" represent [I want to own slaves, etc], it is more than that. Why is it black people are offended when the US flag has flown in slave owning states. Don't tell me they think this flag is the only flag flown under slave ownership...

To many Southern whites who never owned slaves (since all former slaveowners are dead), the Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of Southern heritage. Nothing more.

The hypocrite haters who preach against hate and are about as ignorant as the day is long in Ecuador don't want to hear that. They have to have something to hate or get a real job.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Yea, Nuc is on the "high ground" here. I'm from the South, and I got no problems with the Confederate flag, but I also know that many do.

Really trob ... if people have a problem with it, they can look the other way. Isn't that what they tell us when we don't like their gay pride parades, et al?

LiberalNation
02-19-2007, 09:47 PM
the Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of Southern heritage. Nothing more.
A flag is a symbol of whatever it's used for. If it's the KKK or Nazis using it then that flag is in fact acting as a symbol for racism.

But anyway, I agree with you the people who are complaining can just look away and grow a thicker skin.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 09:57 PM
A flag is a symbol of whatever it's used for. If it's the KKK or Nazis using it then that flag is in fact acting as a symbol for racism.

But anyway, I agree with you the people who are complaining can just look away and grow a thicker skin.

Disagree. Based on your premise, any group can choose to fly whatever flag they desire and it automatically becomes representative of them. A symbol becomes representative of a group IF people in general accept it as such.

Nuc
02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I have heard the "it's not a symbol of slavery, it's a symbol of Southern culture" rationale before. Plenty of blacks in the South, just out of curiosity has anyone seen any blacks wearing, waving, flying or putting in the back window of their cars, a Confederate Flag? I haven't, and though I am sick of much black whining, if they perceive it as a symbol of slavery, and if they are a large segment of the population it's a problematic symbol.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I have heard the "it's not a symbol of slavery, it's a symbol of Southern culture" rationale before. Plenty of blacks in the South, just out of curiosity has anyone seen any blacks wearing, waving, flying or putting in the back window of their cars, a Confederate Flag? I haven't, and though I am sick of much black whining, if they perceive it as a symbol of slavery, and if they are a large segment of the population it's a problematic symbol.

I've seen pleny with that red, green, and black flag displaying their pride in some cultural heritage that pertains to no one but them. Does this mean I can squeal "racism"?

Nuc
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I've seen pleny with that red, green, and black flag displaying their pride in some cultural heritage that pertains to no one but them. Does this mean I can squeal "racism"?

Sure you can, but it's not the same thing because that "African" flag is not a symbol of oppression of white people. Africans oppress each other, LOL!!!!!

Just because you are not offended by it doesn't mean that it's not possible for others to be. Of course this can be extended to a lot of matters, it just depends on how much the provocation is worth to you.

I mean, it is not irrational for some or most blacks to equate the Confederacy with slavery, is it? It's not like there is NO relation between Confederacy and slavery. Then again they are embracing Islam like a bunch of lemmings and the Arabs were the biggest slave traders and still have the institution of slavery to this day, so that's extra dumb.

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Disagree. Based on your premise, any group can choose to fly whatever flag they desire and it automatically becomes representative of them. A symbol becomes representative of a group IF people in general accept it as such.

Or allow it to be highjacked, which we did with this flag. We 'let' the kkk wave it around for soooooo many years it came to this. Sad but true.

Yeah, there is more to it than that...alot more.

manu1959
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Disagree. Based on your premise, any group can choose to fly whatever flag they desire and it automatically becomes representative of them. A symbol becomes representative of a group IF people in general accept it as such

like the rainbow....the leprechauns must be pissed

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
... Africans oppress each other, LOL!!!!!

Yes, they did and still do.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Or allow it to be highjacked, which we did with this flag. We 'let' the kkk wave it around for soooooo many years it came to this. Sad but true.

Yeah, there is more to it than that...alot more.

I'll give you that. They have hijacked the flag. The lefties and minorities don't resent them using it any more than I do.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 11:23 PM
like the rainbow....the leprechauns must be pissed

:laugh2:

Hobbit
02-19-2007, 11:34 PM
You just made me ashamed I have one.

Don't be. There's nothing wrong with the Confederate battle flag. It's like a gun, the flag is only as bad as the person carrying it.

I could go on and on about the Confederate flag and southern culture, and I think I will, but not here. I'll link to the thread after I start it.

Mr. P
02-19-2007, 11:36 PM
I'll give you that. They have hijacked the flag. The lefties and minorities don't resent them using it any more than I do.

You're right, the politicans saw a use though and still do I guess.

Gunny
02-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Don't be. There's nothing wrong with the Confederate battle flag. It's like a gun, the flag is only as bad as the person carrying it.

I could go on and on about the Confederate flag and southern culture, and I think I will, but not here. I'll link to the thread after I start it.

I'm not. Just voicing my displeasure with folk of his ilk using the Confederate Battle Flag as a symbol of their intolerance and hatred.

Hobbit
02-20-2007, 12:34 AM

As promised.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=1128

glockmail
02-21-2007, 08:41 PM

I'm sorry but I seriously have to question of someone who thinks is more important to only one flag during a time of war and yet vote for a resolution opposing our attempts to empower our troops. (Especially when there is one flag over all of us and South Carolina just happens to have a second one). Come on down and get her, hillary! :lol: