PDA

View Full Version : And For You East Coast SUSHI Lovers...

Pale Rider
01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Tests Find Hazardous Levels Of Mercury In Tuna Sushi In New York

By Marian Burros Published: January 22, 2008

NEW YORK: Recent laboratory tests performed for The New York Times found so much mercury in tuna sushi that a regular diet of even two or three pieces a week at some restaurants could be a health hazard for the average adult, based on guidelines set out by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Eight of the 44 pieces of sushi The Times purchased from local restaurants and stores in October had mercury levels so high that the Food and Drug Administration could take legal action to remove the fish from the market.

Read entire article here... (http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/22/america/fish.php)

Sir Evil
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
[B]
Tests Find Hazardous Levels Of Mercury In Tuna Sushi In New York

:lol:

WTF is with the huge title, do you post for the visually impaired?

Joan
01-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I tried Sushi once - at my nephew's wedding at the Water Club in NY. I sits right on the East River. Cocktail hour was on upper deck. Fixed my plate, went back to the table, took one bite, and the rest went into the East River!

jimnyc
01-24-2008, 10:20 AM
There's only one acceptable type of "raw fish", and I'll leave it up to everyone's imaginations as to what I'm referring to! :wank2:

Pale Rider
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
:lol:

WTF is with the huge title, do you post for the visually impaired?

I do that with "EVERY" thread I start, not just this one, ya ignorant, highway sweepin', degenerate... :laugh:

Mr. P
01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Seems to me that the USDA has really dropped the ball on food inspection the last 10 years.

Does anyone else think more about what food is safe these days compared to the past? Who's watchin the store, or is anyone?

dan
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I would think it's harder to monitor sushi, as it comes from such a small source. Like, you could assume that if one cow in a herd is clean, the rest probably are, but if one tuna has mercury, that doesn't mean the one next to it does. Or does it? I don't really know how the USDA does tests.

I'll still keep eating sushi, though. I'm an addict.

Pale Rider
01-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I tried Sushi once - at my nephew's wedding at the Water Club in NY. I sits right on the East River. Cocktail hour was on upper deck. Fixed my plate, went back to the table, took one bite, and the rest went into the East River!
I've never ate it in my life, because I'm pretty darn sure I'd be right with you Joan. Man was not intended to eat raw meat. Our digestive system just isn't set up for it. Our meat should be cooked.

Seems to me that the USDA has really dropped the ball on food inspection the last 10 years.

Does anyone else think more about what food is safe these days compared to the past? Who's watchin the store, or is anyone
And that's why when I get back to Wisconsin Mr. P, and have me a couple acres of land, one of the first things I'll set out to do is put in a nice, big garden. I really enjoy fresh vegetables, and grew up on them. Garden tomatoes, maaaaan, so much better than that store bought crap, and green beans, carrots, onions, sweet corn, water melon.... I could go on... :D

retiredman
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I've never ate it in my life, because I'm pretty darn sure I'd be right with you Joan. Man was not intended to eat raw meat. Our digestive system just isn't set up for it. Our meat should be cooked.

and so cooking tuna makes the mercury disappear???
:laugh2:

Mr. P
01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
And that's why when I get back to Wisconsin Mr. P, and have me a couple acres of land, one of the first things I'll set out to do is put in a nice, big garden. I really enjoy fresh vegetables, and grew up on them. Garden tomatoes, maaaaan, so much better than that store bought crap, and green beans, carrots, onions, sweet corn, water melon.... I could go on... :D

Oh yeah! 10 acres, a small brick house, some pigs & chickens and a nice garden.

That's my dream...I grew tired of chasing the golden ring 10 years ago. The GOLD is in simplicity.

Pale Rider
01-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah! 10 acres, a small brick house, some pigs & chickens and a nice garden.

That's my dream...I grew tired of chasing the golden ring 10 years ago. The GOLD is in simplicity.

Well I'm looking at a little five acre farm right now. Nice big old barn in very nice shape, sheds, good dirt, big old two story house. If.... if, if, if. Lots of if's, but I might deal on it.

Pale Rider
01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
and so cooking tuna makes the mercury disappear???
:laugh2:

That would be cool if it did. I like fish, and fish are good for you. What's that they say? Fish are brain food? Like back in Wisconsin they warn not eat the fish out of the lakes and streams more than twice a week. I think it really sucks. Nothing better than a big ole plate of Sunfish, or Blue Gills, or some Large Mouth Bass, or a Northern Pike. Damn... now I'm hungry for fish.