PDA

View Full Version : Dems considering tax rebates

Yurt
01-24-2008, 11:38 AM
seems strange the dems all of a sudden now realize that this country is over taxed and that money should be coming back to us.... oh, its election year

tax deal near (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_on_go_co/economy_stimulus;_ylt=AlIssYrfYDIg1sawuqRcW4wDW7oF )

MtnBiker
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Its political pandering, Bush has a part in it also.

manu1959
01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
seems strange the dems all of a sudden now realize that this country is over taxed and that money should be coming back to us.... oh, its election year

tax deal near (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_on_go_co/economy_stimulus;_ylt=AlIssYrfYDIg1sawuqRcW4wDW7oF )

how about when the republicans wanted to dismantle the dept. of education and the dems put so much pressure on the pubs that no child left behind showed up .....now who wants to dismantle the dept of education....

Yurt
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM

true, but bush did tax cuts/rebate in the beginning and the dems were opposed

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
true, but bush did tax cuts/rebate in the beginning and the dems were opposed

Ah, but things were so much different then:

A. The Republicans had control of the government then.

B. We were not engulfed in a trillion dollar plus (look, I'm so sick of it, I don't even know what he latest figures are and I don't want to look them up) war at the time.

Um, wait, isn't that reason enough right there NOT to consider tax rebates? As much as I would like a $900 check coming to me from the government soon, I can't see how it makes sense in today's economic situation.

Do you think this really might just be an attempt by the Democrats to buy our votes? No, just ask TM, the Dems would never stoop so low.

Immie

darin
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
As much as I would like a $900 check coming to me from the government soon, I can't see how it makes sense in today's economic situation.

Maybe that's why you aren't in office, or control or influence our Nation's economy?? ;)

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe that's why you aren't in office, or control or influence our Nation's economy?? ;)

Or maybe it is because I don't believe that this will help all that much and that it is simply the Democrats trying to buy your vote. :)

Remember, most people only care about what you have done for them lately. Do you really think the Democratic Nominee won't be running on... "geez, remember that $300/family member check you got in...", let's see when will we get them? October. "I supported that, in fact, I authored the idea in the first place." Just like Al Gore fathered the Internet.

Immie

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't pay no income tax, will I get a check. If not screw it. Tho I may have a job before this thing goes through.

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't pay no income tax, will I get a check. If not screw it. Tho I may have a job before this thing goes through.

Don't feel left out. Pelosi wants your vote too.

From the link:

Individuals who pay income taxes would get up to $600, working couples $1,200 and those couples with children an additional $300 per child under the deal. Workers who make at least $3,000 but don't pay taxes would get $300 rebates.

Seeing as how she is only willing to give you $300, she doesn't value your vote as much as mine! :D My vote, of course, she will most likely not be getting nor is it likely a Republican will get it either.

Immie

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
who make at least $3,000 but don't pay taxes would get $300 rebates.

Now that rocks, go Pelosi. Us poor limited tax payers need checks too.

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Now that rocks, go Pelosi. Us poor limited tax payers need checks too.

Just wait until you are making $50 million a year and she wants to tax you 75% of your income over the poverty line to provide a $300/check to the poor. Bet you whistle a different tune then. :D

Immie

Trigg
01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't see why the gov. would give a TAX REBATE to people who DON'T pay taxes in the first place.

Nothing against the poor, I've been there.

People who make to little to pay taxes already quality for food stamps, welfair, free healthcare, free lunch (schools) and in many states free college. WHY do they need MY tax dollars on top of this??

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Just wait until you are making $50 million a year and she wants to tax you 75% of your income over the poverty line to provide a $300/check to the poor. Bet you whistle a different tune then. :D

Immie
lol yeah when that happens........

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't see why the gov. would give a TAX REBATE to people who DON'T pay taxes in the first place.

Nothing against the poor, I've been there.

People who make to little to pay taxes already quality for food stamps, welfair, free healthcare, free lunch (schools) and in many states free college. WHY do they need MY tax dollars on top of this??

It is really easy to understand. ;) They want the votes from whomever they can purchase them from. $600/person of unearned (for them) money or should I say, $600 of your money returned to you, is a cheap price to pay for control of Congress and the pork barrel spending for the next four years.

Not at all hard to figure out.

Immie

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
No if your a teenage ya don't. I like the $300 check idea. Nikki wants a new laptop. Oh and all ya'll are getting a digital graduation card thing so feel free to help send me to college with a generous donation.

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
lol yeah when that happens........

I have faith in you. You'll go far, but it won't be as a liberal, mark my words... when you grow up you'll be a powerful voice for mainstream America!

:)

Immie

Trigg
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
No if your a teenage ya don't. I like the $300 check idea. Nikki wants a new laptop. Oh and all ya'll are getting a digital graduation card thing so feel free to help send me to college with a generous donation.

Of course you like the idea your still living at home with daddy paying all the bills.

Sorry can't help with the donation, I'm saving for college over here also. Anyone who wants to help me instead of liberalNation just PM me. :laugh2:

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I have faith in you. You'll go far, but it won't be as a liberal, mark my words... when you grow up you'll be a powerful voice for mainstream America!

:)

Immie

:cheers2:

It wont be as a nurse but maybe if I get into politics or go to med school later.

Immanuel
01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
:cheers2:

It wont be as a nurse but maybe if I get into politics or go to med school later.

Do you mean to say that nurses are not powerful people in America? Of course, not all are but then neither are all lawyers, doctors, politicians etc.

Immie

manu1959
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
btw.......it is not a tax rebate as they are planning on giving it to people that did not pay taxes.....

Psychoblues
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
The dems, with overwhelming bipartisan support, got the tax rebates passed. They didn't create this recession but they certainly know how to get money back into the hands of the people that will spend the money and at least curb the damages done by the corporatists, ill-advised economists and other jerks that only think about their own micro economy in this very much macro environment.

Bush is certain to sign it. His legacy depends on it, don't you know?

manu1959
01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
The dems, with overwhelming bipartisan support, got the tax rebates passed. They didn't create this recession but they certainly know how to get money back into the hands of the people that will spend the money and at least curb the damages done by the corporatists, ill-advised economists and other jerks that only think about their own micro economy in this very much macro environment.

Bush is certain to sign it. His legacy depends on it, don't you know?

but if it is a tax rebate why do those that did not pay taxes get a check....

Psychoblues
01-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Did you read the bill, m'59? My understanding is there is no rebate for those that did not pay taxes. In my opinion, however, in the consideration that those that paid no taxes are completely unemployed and in most need I think they should also get a few bucks to at least buy donuts for their buddies.

but if it is a tax rebate why do those that did not pay taxes get a check....

Obviously you don't really get it and I doubt if you ever will.

Kathianne
01-25-2008, 05:03 PM

No joke, if it is a good thing to put money back in the hands of 'the people', they should stop taking it in the first place. Now, since they've spent all that they collect and borrowed more from China, where are they going to get this money? From China. Bad move all around:

Links at site:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_01_20-2008_01_26.shtml#1201253067

...Some of the critics of Carternomics were known as "supply-siders." Ronald Reagan and his supporters argued that the best way to promote economic growth was not for the federal government to give people money, but for the government to cut marginal tax rates for the future, thereby spurring "supply-side" production and investment. The Bush tax cuts of 2001, and much of the tax policy of the rest of the Bush administration, were implementations of supply-side policy.

But the 2008 tax rebate brings us full circle back to 1980, as the final year of the Bush administration increasingly resembles the final year of the Carter administration-- including national malaise, getting tough on Israel but not on Palestinian terrorists, support for the DC handgun ban, the Olympics hosted by a communist regime with contempt for human rights, and a consensus that the current adminstration is lacking in competence.

There are important differences, of course. Including the probability that if the next President is a transformational one, that President will not an ideological successor of the genial, far-right Ronald Reagan, but instead will be the genial, far-left Barack Obama.

Trigg
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Did you read the bill, m'59? My understanding is there is no rebate for those that did not pay taxes. .

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gclb4DYkMyL1qEffjJ42V6khiGswD8UDM9PO0

People who do not make enough to pay taxes but had at least $3,000 in earned income would get $300.

Those who earned more than $3,000 but owed little or no taxes would get a flat $300, or $600 per couple.

So a low-income family of four — with $35,000 in income and virtually no tax liability — would get $1,200. That includes the flat $600 per couple and $300 for each child.

Yes, those who do not pay taxes will get the rebate. Pelosi was pulling for this as well as additional food stamps and unemployment benefits.

Joe Steel
01-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Yes, those who do not pay taxes will get the rebate. Pelosi was pulling for this as well as additional food stamps and unemployment benefits.

Too bad she caved again.

More food stamps and unemployment benefits would have worked. As it is now, this plan won't.