PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a 'rep' strategy?

darin
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Just out of curiosity - have you, or you and another or a few others developed a stated or implied system of giving and receiving reputation? Do you rep folk because it's time for their daily rep? Do you rep only comments which strike you (either positively or negatively)? Do you feel a systematic-approach to reputation (e.g., You rep him, He'll rep Me, then I'll rep you. Or Digging up some old user, just to rep him/her to get you past the wait period, etc) is unethical? Or goes against the spirit of the system? Do you have one or two or three folk you rep MUCH more often than others?

I know rep points are like the points on Whose Line is it Anyway. But...thought it'd make interesting discussion.

I rep a lot of people often. During good threads I've shot-gun'd rep to folk (multiple consecutive rep) after consistently good or bad posts. Admins aren't subject to the 'You must spread rep before repping this person' rules, so often, members get literally thousands of rep points from me in a short period. :)

LiberalNation
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Nah I just randomly rep people when a post strikes me or if I want to rep someone but can't until repping some other people I'll reo a lot of people for no reason just to rep to rep one.

truthmatters
01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I rarely rep.

I have never given red ones to anyone.

Little-Acorn
01-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Nah I just randomly rep people when a post strikes me
Ditteau.

But when I try to rep someone and the system says I have to spread other rep around before repping that person, I just say the h*ll with it.

Several people have also said to me that they wanted to rep me for something but couldn't since the system was saying that to them. What's a mother to do.

BTW, how do you negative-rep someone? I've heard of it, but haven't seen the mechanism for it.

dan
01-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I only rep posts which I agree with, or which make me laugh. I don't have any specific people that I always rep or anything. Of course, I have a particular sense of humor, so there's obviously going to be certain people who get repped more than others.

I've never given a neg rep. Only gotten one myself (I think), and I'm still not really sure why.

darin
01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
BTW, how do you negative-rep someone? I've heard of it, but haven't seen the mechanism for it.

When you click on the scales, a window opens. Click "I disapprove" - that subtracts from their rep point total HALF the giver's reputation power ability.

hjmick
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
I have no rep stategy, though I will never give someone a negative rep. I don't see the point, better to ignore something you find asinine and/or inane. The idea that you would neg rep someone because you don't agree with their point of view seems to me to be counter productive to the idea of debate. To neg rep them because they insult you indicates, IMO, that they "got to you" on some level, giving them a certain level of satisfaction.

My criteria for giving a positive rep is much like Dan's, if I agree with the post or it makes me laugh, I'll rep you. I will also dole out a rep if the discussion has been interesting and the exchange entertaining and civil, it doesn't matter if I agree or not. Good discussion is good discussion, no matter what your political stripe. I do not limit myself to only repping conservatives, like them or not, agree with them or not, some of our liberal members are capable of making good points.

Even if they are wrong. :D

Hagbard Celine
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I only give positive rep points and I only rep posts that I agree with and/or deem worthy of positive affirmation. Also sometimes I'll give rep points if I like your avatar. That's it though.

Little-Acorn
01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
When you click on the scales, a window opens. Click "I disapprove" - that subtracts from their rep point total HALF the giver's reputation power ability.

OIC. Thanks, DMP.

What is "half the give's reputation power ability"? Something that varies with how much reputation the giver has? How is it calculated? (What if the giver has negative rep?)

Abbey Marie
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
OIC. Thanks, DMP.

What is "half the give's reputation power ability"? Something that varies with how much reputation the giver has? How is it calculated? (What if the giver has negative rep?)

Half of your "rep power" points are deducted from the rep points of the recipient of your negative rep.

jackass
01-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I dont have a rep system at all. I will rep you if you make me laugh for sure though! I will also rep someone who makes a valid point, usually a point I was going to make while reading the thread.

I think I have neg'd only two or three times and they were just way out of bound statements.
I dont give out too may reps so it really IRKS me when I cant give them whan I want to!!!

Little-Acorn
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanx Abbey!

Those of you who give negative rep, on what grounds do you normally give it? One person here mentioned that doing it because a disagreement is not the way to go, and I agree. Doing it because of an insult is probably a waste of time.

This is a debate forum. How about if someone deliberately tries to stifle or obstruct debate? Sufficient grounds for negative-repping? How about if they say something obviously and flagrantly false or stupid, and sem to expect it to be believed?

Lots of possible reasons, of varying sensibility. What say ye?

darin
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I neg rep when people are over-the-top mean. Or nasty. Or get caught lying. Or take things to a really personal level...those types of things. If somebody starts talkin' about PMs in public (content wise), that may earn neg rep.

Abbey Marie
01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I neg rep people who I think are ugly or have bad skin.

(j/k)

Acorn, I think you should just see what feels right to you as you go.

gabosaurus
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
My "rep strategy" is thus:
**I have never issued rep to anyone, nor do I intend to.
**I never worry about the rep I get.
**I never read the rep comments.

Thanks for playing. :)

Abbey Marie
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks for playing. :)

So you never knew when I positive-repped you? :(

DrJohn
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure why the rep thing is important but I have given positive rep for posts that make a good point or are funny.
I have only given bad rep once. Someone gave me bad rep and said that I should take my 'rant' and start my own thread.

They obviously didn't know the meaning of 'rant' and I told them so.

manu1959
01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I rarely rep.

I have never given red ones to anyone.

never..............:laugh2:

5stringJeff
01-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I give good rep to people who make good points, or to pithy/witty replies.

I give bad rep on occasion, but only when the post is either extremely personally insulting or just totally in bad taste. I've given bad rep and good rep to the same person within the same week.

82Marine89
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Just out of curiosity - have you, or you and another or a few others developed a stated or implied system of giving and receiving reputation?

There has to be a rep club around here. I've noticed post whores and basket cases have their rep levels rise faster than lava in a Hawaiian volcano. These are folks that have absolutely nothing to say, but they give each other reach arounds as they high five each other all day long. It's not a good thing that these folks simply have a desire to see their name in lights when they log on, but they have made a mockery of the rep system and how it is supposed to work.

So for the "Post Club" all I have to say is stop repping me. I don't need to know that some article I posted last week is a good one. I don't need you to say hello to me. If I just so happen to have all my brain cells fire in sequence and something brilliant comes out of my brain housing group, then tell me. Otherwise I don't care.

That's my dos pesos.

Dilloduck
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
After I discovered that my rep comments could be read, I was more careful about what I said !! :laugh2:

Psychoblues
01-25-2008, 01:58 AM
I know very well your rep strategy, dmp. You neg rep whenever you can't refute something being said that you feel that you don't agree with. If that doesn't work you expand your sense of personal power and take more stringent measures as only you can determine. It doesn't mean you're correct, it only means that you can. That's important for you, isn't it?

Tell the bartender what you drink. I'll pay for it.

darin
01-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I know very well your rep strategy, dmp. You neg rep whenever you can't refute something being said that you feel that you don't agree with. If that doesn't work you expand your sense of personal power and take more stringent measures as only you can determine. It doesn't mean you're correct, it only means that you can. That's important for you, isn't it?

Tell the bartender what you drink. I'll pay for it.

Hey Liar! I was wondering if you'd reply in your usual paranoid, crazy way. :) You're predictable! how nice for you!

Classact
01-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks for playing. :)You really never read the positive rep comment I gave you? Now that's cold, ice cold!

I don't like rep system but end up feeling guilty when someone gives me one and so then I try to return the favor. I honestly don't understand it's value.

jackass
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
There has to be a rep club around here. I've noticed post whores and basket cases have their rep levels rise faster than lava in a Hawaiian volcano. .....
That's my dos pesos.

I was going to say..there are definately some obvious people missing from this thread...

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't have a rep strategy, but I do have a ketchup secret.

dan
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't have a rep strategy, but I do have a ketchup secret.

Tomato and water? ;)

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Tomato and water? ;)

It's a Seinfeld reference... :laugh2:

jimnyc
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
There has to be a rep club around here. I've noticed post whores and basket cases have their rep levels rise faster than lava in a Hawaiian volcano. These are folks that have absolutely nothing to say, but they give each other reach arounds as they high five each other all day long.

:clap:

Although anyone can rep one another when the availability arises, I think the board is smart enough to know who the good and otherwise respectable posters of the board are without looking at rep totals. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the rep system is just for fun as an added incentive to the board, but by no means should be a true indicator of ones ability to make a good or bad post. The community itself will weed out the cheaters... Which once again reminds me of a quote from Cheers and Cliff Clavin:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, the slow and weak at the back are killed first. The speed and health of the herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as its slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. Naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

"In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

dan
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
It's a Seinfeld reference... :laugh2:

I'm so embarassed! I love Seinfeld, what episode is that from?

shattered
01-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Sure.. If you make me laugh, you get repped.. If you piss me off, you get repped. If you manage to stay under my radar, you don't get repped.

Pretty cut and dried, I think.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM

I've watched about 10 minutes of one Seinfeld episode, and stopped being embarrassed the instant I turned it off.

Remember, a 10 rating means that 10% of the country is watching the show... and 90% isn't. Don't know about you, but that's not something I'd brag about.

Dilloduck
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM
:clap:

Although anyone can rep one another when the availability arises, I think the board is smart enough to know who the good and otherwise respectable posters of the board are without looking at rep totals. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the rep system is just for fun as an added incentive to the board, but by no means should be a true indicator of ones ability to make a good or bad post. The community itself will weed out the cheaters... Which once again reminds me of a quote from Cheers and Cliff Clavin:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, the slow and weak at the back are killed first. The speed and health of the herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as its slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. Naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

"In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

If it's just fun and added incentive why are moderators allowed to have fun and dish out incentive more often ? I wanna try that shotgun rep stuff !!!

:laugh2:

dan
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I've watched about 10 minutes of one Seinfeld episode, and stopped being embarrassed the instant I turned it off.

Remember, a 10 rating means that 10% of the country is watching the show... and 90% isn't.

Fair enough. It's one of a long list of things (Tom Green, Wet Hot American Summer, Neil Hamburger) where I think it's funny, but I totally get why other people don't. I'm not one of those "How can you not like ___?!?!!" types, at least not anymore.

It doesn't really matter to me what their rating was, though. I don't care what the rest of the country thinks of something, and generally, the stuff that the majority of the people like, I don't.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Fair enough. It's one of a long list of things (Tom Green, Wet Hot American Summer, Neil Hamburger) where I think it's funny, but I totally get why other people don't.

My general rule is, if it needs a laugh-track machine to tell you when it's funny.... it isn't.

Haven't found many exceptions.

dan
01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
My general rule is, if it needs a laugh-track machine to tell you when it's funny.... it isn't.

Haven't found many exceptions.

All in the Family
Black Books
the original British version of Da Ali G Show

hjmick
01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
All in the Family
Black Books
the original British version of Da Ali G Show

M*A*S*H

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 01:32 PM

SEINFELD Episode no. 56 "The Shoes" (Original air date 4 Feb 1993)

JERRY: No leer. <Elaine comes over to Russell's table.>

ELAINE (to Russell): Excuse me, are you using that ketchup?

RUSSELL (not noticing Elaine's cleavage): Uh, no. <Elaine takes the ketchup and goes back to her table.>

GEORGE: Because, if I'm looking straight ahead, and something enters my field of vision, that's merely a happenstance. <Elaine loudly snaps and unfolds her napkin at the next table to get Russell's attention.>

RUSSELL: Under the circumstances, I don't really feel that we should be in business together. <Elaine comes back over.>

ELAINE: Here's your ketchup back. You know, I had the hardest time trying to get some out. I mean, I just kept pounding and pounding on the bottom of it. Do you have any trouble?

RUSSELL (still not noticing Elaine's cleavage): No.

ELAINE (leaning forward): Do you have a...ketchup secret?

RUSSELL: No, I... <finally notices Elaine>...don't have a ketchup secret. <Smiles.>

ELAINE (flirtatiously): Because if you do have a ketchup secret, I would really, really like to know what it is. <Russell is pleased, and smiles at Elaine. Elaine goes back to her table, sits down, and waves at Russell.>

RUSSELL (to Jerry and George, reconsidering about the pilot): Field of vision, huh?

Originally posted on The News Guys(Mike's) site http://www.geocities.com/tnguym
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheShoes.html

jimnyc
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
If it's just fun and added incentive why are moderators allowed to have fun and dish out incentive more often ? I wanna try that shotgun rep stuff !!!

I have looked into changing this option but it is built in to allow administrators to not be restricted and cannot be altered. I agree, I think this is unfair, and I have asked the admins to please refrain from "double repping" anyone, whether that be positive or negative. Admins should follow the same standards as everyone else on the board from this point forth as far as giving out reputation is concerned.

If anyone feels they have been repped multiple times too quickly by a staff member, please shoot me a PM and I will look into it. If it did indeed take place, I will remove the points/comments and ask the staff member to please refrain from doing so again in the future.

FWIW - to be more precise, the only members with this ability are myself, dmp & MtnBiker - not any other members of staff. But I believe the community is correct with the complaints of this being unfair and I will ensure that this feature is used fairly by all from this point forward. So again, please contact me in the future if you feel you have been unfairly repped multiple times.

dan
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
M*A*S*H

MASH had a laugh track? I've honestly never watched an episode.

hjmick
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I have looked into changing this option but it is built in to allow administrators to not be restricted and cannot be altered. I agree, I think this is unfair, and I have asked the admins to please refrain from "double repping" anyone, whether that be positive or negative. Admins should follow the same standards as everyone else on the board from this point forth as far as giving out reputation is concerned.

If anyone feels they have been repped multiple times too quickly by a staff member, please shoot me a PM and I will look into it. If it did indeed take place, I will remove the points/comments and ask the staff member to please refrain from doing so again in the future.

FWIW - to be more precise, the only members with this ability are myself, dmp & MtnBiker - not any other members of staff. But I believe the community is correct with the complaints of this being unfair and I will ensure that this feature is used fairly by all from this point forward. So again, please contact me in the future if you feel you have been unfairly repped multiple times.

Sorry Jim, but if I get double or triple positive reps from you guys, I'm not saying a word. :coffee:

hjmick
01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
MASH had a laugh track? I've honestly never watched an episode.

Not really. The network wanted a laugh track, the producers didn't. They compromised, once in a blue moon a "chuckle" track was used.

Honestly, I thought that was a list of shows that didn't use laugh tracks. Where All in the Family is concerned, I have to wonder if it was taped before a studio audience, not that would preclude them from using a laugh track, but the need would be greatly reduced.

jackass
01-25-2008, 03:04 PM
If anyone feels they have been repped multiple times too quickly by a staff member, please shoot me a PM and I will look into it.

I have a complaint that I HAVENT been repped multiple times by an admin. Jim can you fix that for me??? :laugh2:

dan
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Not really. The network wanted a laugh track, the producers didn't. They compromised, once in a blue moon a "chuckle" track was used.

Honestly, I thought that was a list of shows that didn't use laugh tracks. Where All in the Family is concerned, I have to wonder if it was taped before a studio audience, not that would preclude them from using a laugh track, but the need would be greatly reduced.

This is true, but it's still there, and by Little Acorn's definition, it is there to remind the viewer at home when to laugh.

But, if L.A. was talking specifically about laugh tracks, then I admit that I was wrong there.

Offtopic: Little Acorn, did you get your name from the White Stripes song?

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I think of a laugh track as the TV equivalent of a movie soundtrack. Both essentially key you in to the mood the director is going for, so to speak.

darin
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a complaint that I HAVENT been repped multiple times by an admin. Jim can you fix that for me??? :laugh2:

Just to be clear, nobody - User, Admin, Moderator, whatever - can rep any post more than once. What one or two? 4 people tops - are complaining about is, very rarely they'll get two neg-rep comments within one thread, or within minutes. There was one guy who posted three consecutive personal attacks in one thread. I neg repped him for each one. All deserved, IMO.

There are folk who feel ANYONE on the board having the slightest amount of capability they don't possess is a bad thing. They will rant and complain about everything until EVERYONE has full admin/moderator abilities...or, at least, until they get those abilities.

dan
01-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I think of a laugh track as the TV equivalent of a movie soundtrack. Both essentially key you in to the mood the director is going for, so to speak.

I kind of disagree to an extent. The only way a laugh track would equal a movie soundtrack is if every movie used the exact same soundtrack in the exact same moments.

I guess with something like All in the Family, the performers feed off of the energy of the audience's reaction, so it's really different from a laugh track.

With Seinfeld, though, I don't know that the show really needed a laugh track, but it was downright unheard of for a sitcom in the late 80's/early 90's to not have one. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a very similar show, and that works fine without a laugh track.

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
I kind of disagree to an extent. The only way a laugh track would equal a movie soundtrack is if every movie used the exact same soundtrack in the exact same moments.

I guess with something like All in the Family, the performers feed off of the energy of the audience's reaction, so it's really different from a laugh track.

With Seinfeld, though, I don't know that the show really needed a laugh track, but it was downright unheard of for a sitcom in the late 80's/early 90's to not have one. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a very similar show, and that works fine without a laugh track.

We'll just have to disgree, Dan. :salute:

darin
01-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Once I watched "Alf" dubbed into German. THAT was weird.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 04:00 PM

But many TV shows already have soundtracks, too.

A laugh track is added specifically for the purpose of making you think something was funnier than you would have otherwise. It is slightly more subtle than the character turning to the screen and saying plaintively, "Get it???" Frankly, it tells me all I needed to know about that show's humor level.

A few shows were produced with laugh tracks, that didn't need them, such as All in the Family and some of the Lucy shows. Most did need them - unfortunately.

A few movies serve as stellar examples of humor. Thankfully, they didn't include laugh track devices. "1776" and the first Beverly Hills Cop movie, are examples. A number can be found WAY back in the days of silent films, where you didn't have any help from ANY sound at all. Humor was necessarily of the sight-gag variety, obviously, or occasionally situational, where as a plot develops a funny twist slowly becomes apparent. One I remember was "The General", with Buster Keaton. The way the cannonball rolls off the train and later explodes in the far background, is masterfully done to conform to, and even take advantage of, the limitations of small fields of view and silence characteristic of the films of that day.

A lot of the "humor" presented today isn't humor at all, but merely embarrassment and/or shock. Both make you laugh, but they have little else in common, including attraction. Compare Letterman with Carson to see what I mean.

Psychoblues
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I ain't lying, dmp. You and LA can stick your neg reps up your asses. Why don't you just address the issues on post with the same vigor you pass out your neg reps?

Hey Liar! I was wondering if you'd reply in your usual paranoid, crazy way. :) You're predictable! how nice for you!

Now, tell me again just how you think I am a liar? I understand that this topic can get personal and obviously so do you or you wouldn't have started the thread. If you can't take the truth, dmp, I'd suggest you avoid the topics that you demonstrate you are so willing to lie about. Dig it?

Dilloduck
01-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Just to be clear, nobody - User, Admin, Moderator, whatever - can rep any post more than once. What one or two? 4 people tops - are complaining about is, very rarely they'll get two neg-rep comments within one thread, or within minutes. There was one guy who posted three consecutive personal attacks in one thread. I neg repped him for each one. All deserved, IMO.

There are folk who feel ANYONE on the board having the slightest amount of capability they don't possess is a bad thing. They will rant and complain about everything until EVERYONE has full admin/moderator abilities...or, at least, until they get those abilities.

Damn those pesky people who want to hand out postive rep whenever they see fit. !! :laugh2:

Psychoblues
01-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Ain't it just a damned shame, Dd? I don't deny that I have also been guilty of neg repping a post. I had genuine problems with it and my neg rep was accompanied with an answer or question on the post itself. I thought that was how the system worked. I have since found out that the system lacks a design where these disagreements can be discussed on board without somebody, usually me, getting banned.

Damn those pesky people who want to hand out postive rep whenever they see fit. !! :laugh2:

I haven't neg repped anyone in months and I don't intend ever to neg rep any post again. The abuses of the populace but primarily the management for it have truly changed my way of thinking about it.

Good for you, Dd!!!!!! Did you get my pos rep?

MtnBiker
01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
The abuses of the populace but primarily the management for it have truly changed my way of thinking about it.

I cannot speak for the rest of the staff but I have not given a negative rep to anyone on this board.

Psychoblues
01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
And I respect you for other reasons as well, MB.

I cannot speak for the rest of the staff but I have not given a negative rep to anyone on this board.

Keep the flag of the United States Of America FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks, jim. I know how hard you work and I know how hard your work is.

I agree that you and MB are innocent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!