PDA

View Full Version : The Hussein admin knowingly made false statements leading up to the war

hjmick
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Saddam Hussein knowingly lied about having WMDs. There is no doubt about it, he admitted as much.

Perhaps this contributed to the decision to invade Iraq? Or is that just too far fetched to believe?

Interrogator: Invasion Surprised Saddam
Tells 60 Minutes Former Dictator Bragged About Eluding Capture
Jan. 24, 2008

(CBS) Saddam Hussein initially didn't think the U.S. would invade Iraq to destroy weapons of mass destruction, so he kept the fact that he had none a secret to prevent an Iranian invasion he believed could happen. The Iraqi dictator revealed this thinking to George Piro, the FBI agent assigned to interrogate him after his capture.

Piro spent almost seven months debriefing Saddam...

"He told me he initially miscalculated... President Bush’s intentions. He thought the United States would retaliate with the same type of attack as we did in 1998...a four-day aerial attack," says Piro. "He survived that one and he was willing to accept that type of attack." "He didn't believe the U.S. would invade?" asks Pelley, "No, not initially," answers Piro.

Once the invasion was certain, says Piro, Saddam asked his generals if they could hold the invaders for two weeks. "And at that point, it would go into what he called the secret war," Piro tells Pelley. But Piro isn’t convinced that the insurgency was Saddam's plan. "Well, he would like to take credit for the insurgency," says Piro.

Saddam still wouldn't admit he had no weapons of mass destruction, even when it was obvious there would be military action against him because of the perception he did. Because, says Piro, "For him, it was critical that he was seen as still the strong, defiant Saddam. He thought that [faking having the weapons] would prevent the Iranians from reinvading Iraq," he tells Pelley.

More... (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/24/60minutes/main3749494.shtml)

I guess Saddam miscalculated...

darin
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Dude....fantastic. truthmatters only cares about hating in HER country....everyone else in the world can do no wrong.

She'd be the person who blamed a cop after he shot a man who claimed to have a bomb, but later only had firecrackers.

Yurt
01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Saddam Hussein knowingly lied about having WMDs. There is no doubt about it, he admitted as much.

Perhaps this contributed to the decision to invade Iraq? Or is that just too far fetched to believe?

true, everybody forgets this, all Saddam had to do was open to the UN inspectors and show he did not have WMDs.... sometimes a strong poker face still gets you a losing hand

Dilloduck
01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't believe a word he said even if a 'debriefer' claims he did.

hjmick
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't believe a word he said even if a 'debriefer' claims he did.

LOL

That makes deciding what to do even more difficult.

"He says he doesn't have WMDs..."

"I don't believe him..."

"Now he says he does have WMDs..."

"I don't believe him..."

Dilloduck
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
LOL

That makes deciding what to do even more difficult.

"He says he doesn't have WMDs..."

"I don't believe him..."

"Now he says he does have WMDs..."

"I don't believe him..."

kick his ass and find out for yourself.

hjmick
01-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Did anyone catch the interview with Piro last night?

bullypulpit
01-29-2008, 08:20 AM

The story only confirms that the Bush administration misled America into a war of aggression against a nation that posed no credible threat to America or its allies.

Naji Sabri, Iraqi foreign minister under Saddam, provided intelligence regarding Saddam's WMD programs. In short there were none. Yet this assessment was not included in the 2002 NIE.

As for Saddam miscalculating...He miscalculated the depth of Bush's monomania.

glockmail
01-29-2008, 08:42 AM
The story only confirms that the Bush administration misled America into a war of aggression against a nation that posed no credible threat to America or its allies.

Naji Sabri, Iraqi foreign minister under Saddam, provided intelligence regarding Saddam's WMD programs. In short there were none. Yet this assessment was not included in the 2002 NIE.

As for Saddam miscalculating...He miscalculated the depth of Bush's monomania.
Libs like you would be screaming even louder if Bush hadn't acted and Saddam had reconstituted his WMD program and then used them. That's why sane, reasonable people don't listen to you now.