PDA

View Full Version : What about "creative capitalism?"

Yurt
01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Bill Gates touts 'creative capitalism' in Economic Forum speech

DAVOS, Switzerland — Microsoft Chairman and co-founder Bill Gates offered his vision for a new kind of capitalism that calls for business to work with governments and nonprofit groups to try to stem global poverty and spur more technological innovation for those oftentimes left behind.

"We have to find a way to make the aspects of capitalism that serve wealthier people serve poorer people as well. I like to call this idea creative capitalism," he told an auditorium packed with corporate leaders, politicians and other attendees at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum.

In his speech, Gates, one of the world's wealthiest men, outlined how business worldwide can expand the reach of market forces to offer the benefits of science and technology to all.

He also spoke of his desire to see the world improve, adding that the pace was not quick enough for him.

"I'm an optimist, but I'm an impatient optimist," he said to the standing-room-only crowd. "The world is not getting better fast enough, and it's not getting better for everyone."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004143395_webgatesforum24.html

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. IMO, this is a good example of capitalism. One very successful capitalist (despite being hounded by anti trust suits) is "marketing" this idea to others.

5stringJeff
01-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Want to alleviate poverty? Try free trade and low taxes.

Abbey Marie
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Want to alleviate poverty? Try free trade and low taxes.

And a return to personal responsibility.

SpidermanTUba
01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Bill Gates touts 'creative capitalism' in Economic Forum speech

DAVOS, Switzerland — Microsoft Chairman and co-founder Bill Gates offered his vision for a new kind of capitalism that calls for business to work with governments and nonprofit groups to try to stem global poverty and spur more technological innovation for those oftentimes left behind.

"We have to find a way to make the aspects of capitalism that serve wealthier people serve poorer people as well. I like to call this idea creative capitalism," he told an auditorium packed with corporate leaders, politicians and other attendees at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum.

In his speech, Gates, one of the world's wealthiest men, outlined how business worldwide can expand the reach of market forces to offer the benefits of science and technology to all.

He also spoke of his desire to see the world improve, adding that the pace was not quick enough for him.

"I'm an optimist, but I'm an impatient optimist," he said to the standing-room-only crowd. "The world is not getting better fast enough, and it's not getting better for everyone."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004143395_webgatesforum24.html

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. IMO, this is a good example of capitalism. One very successful capitalist (despite being hounded by anti trust suits) is "marketing" this idea to others.

I hate Bill Gates as a software engineer (Windows sucks) - but he is surely one of the greatest people in the world

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I wonder how much giving ol' Bill did before he was wealthy and searching for meaning in his life. The story of the widows' mites in the Bible comes to mind.