PDA

View Full Version : 2 Ga. schools to pay students to study

LiberalNation
01-25-2008, 07:52 AM
like this idea. I'd go to study hall if I was being paid for it. Shit I go now if I really need to anyway..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125/ap_on_re_us/paid_to_study;_ylt=AgJL8PRsG7PfGSr079X9OJ4DW7oF

FAIRBURN, Ga. - Learning is supposed to be its own reward, but when that doesn't work, should students get paid to do it?

That's the question two Georgia schools are asking in a 15-week pilot program that is paying high-schoolers struggling in math and science $8 an hour to attend study hall for four hours a week.

The privately funded "Learn & Earn" initiative, an idea from former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, is touted as the first of its kind in the state and one of a few similar programs nationwide.

"We want to try something new," said Jackie Cushman, Gingrich's daughter and co-founder of the group funding the initiative. "We're trying to figure out what works. Is it the answer? No. Is it a possible idea that might work? Yes."

Forty students at Bear Creek Middle School and Creekside High School, both in the Atlanta suburb of Fairburn, began participating in the program Tuesday. The eighth- and 11th-graders chosen had to be underperforming in math and science, and many are eligible for free or reduced-cost lunches.

The hope is that the bribes will boost students' motivation to learn, attend class and get better grades.

Aside from the hourly wage, eighth-graders will get a $75 bonus, and 11th-graders $125, if they improve their math and science grades to a B and achieve certain test scores. For the older kids, that adds up to $605 for a semester of studying.

Cushman said the initiative is aimed at math and science because many student struggle in those subjects even if they excel in others.

The offer could help poor students who need the money and otherwise might choose a minimum-wage job over studying, said Jerome Morris, an associate professor at the University of Georgia's College of Education. He also noted that parents who have the means to reward their children for performing well in school have done so for decades.

"Poor families just can't do that," Morris said. "They have to tell their children, 'You have to go to school just to learn.'"

The director of a private center aimed at improving motivation, however, said plying kids with cash is a desperate move by school officials.

"They have not figured out a way to self-motivate these kids," said Peter A. Spevak, director of the Center for Applied Motivation in Washington, D.C. "What really drives a person is the desire to do well and the good feeling you have after doing your best every day."

Classact
01-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Puerto Rico has an equal school system, in saying that I mean there is no one public school better than another. You cannot move to a "good school district" because schools aren't supported by property tax... they are supported by the general PR tax. They have the same pay for teachers and there is no advantage to drive around looking for differences. Usually if someone desires a better school they pay to send their kids to private school.

In the public school system low income (poverty) children in middle and high school may earn up to $300.00 a month by maintaining strait A's in math, science and history with a proper attendance record. The $100 an A was to compete with drug money... kids that make the grade(s) can tool around the parking lot in a new ride equal to those who choose selling drugs and they don't end up in jail like those who choose drug sales as the option. All in all it saves money of maintaining the kids in jail.

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Bribing these unmotivated kids to want to learn reminds me of those poor souls who try and try to convince someone who isn't interested in them to go out. It rarely works; either the interest is there, or it isn't. Sometimes you just have to recognize that it's not going to happen, and move on to another goal.

LiberalNation
01-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Interest can be bought. Most kids don't want to work job but they will because they get paid for it.

Abbey Marie
01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Interest can be bought. Most kids don't want to work job but they will because they get paid for it.

Very temporary minimal interest, just enough to get by, may be able to be bought. It depends on your goal. If it is just to graduate these kids and get them out the door, to become someone else's problem, maybe it's enough. If anyone thinks it will change them into learners, who want a higher education, think again.

I also hate to think of the message it sends. Once again we teach kids that short term gratification is what matters. Once again a crippling blow to lessons in personal responsibility, and in meeting challenges to better yourself. But, what the hell- let's all lower our expectations to gutter level. Then we can be sure to succeed.

Yurt
01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
This is silly. To pay some kids and not all. Talk about unfair treatment.

Also, Abbey is right, motivating simply with short term rewards like $8/hr will do nothing in the long term. Learning is not the same as working a job. It is an intrinsic process that is unique to each of us and cannot be forced or manipulated. While I chose an advanced college degree, I have many friends who did not. They simply do not like book study, they prefer working with their hands, whatnot. This plan with the kids will backfire, not everyone is made for book study.

SpidermanTUba
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Bribing these unmotivated kids to want to learn reminds me of those poor souls who try and try to convince someone who isn't interested in them to go out. It rarely works; either the interest is there, or it isn't. Sometimes you just have to recognize that it's not going to happen, and move on to another goal.

Are you suggesting that people who are successful in life aren't motivated by money?

manu1959
08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Are you suggesting that people who are successful in life aren't motivated by money?

i am living proof................

and as for paying bad students....once a again poor behaviour gets rewarded ....

Kathianne
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I had a disturbing call last night. One of my parents, a Hispanic mother with cancer, called to tell me that her son will not be returning for 8th grade. She wanted me to know, as the quandary for her son was me and the few friends he'd made in the past two years. She has cancer and recently separated from her husband, that was physically abusive to her and her son.

He was a 'throw away baby', found in a refuse container, addicted to crack. He was adopted by the mom that called me. He came to our school in 6th grade, 4th school. He'd been held back 2 times and is a huge kid. Literally 6'+, 210 lbs, easy. His maturity is probably about 4th grade, and that was at the end of 7th grade. I considered him 'my baby Huey'. Nice kid, lousy student. At the same time, it's not hard to understand why, with the mess his home life has been. I figured, 'forget school' focus on the kid. He rarely was late with my assignments, but got 'F's' from the other two teachers. Smart enough, just wouldn't work if he didn't like the teacher.

Last night she told me she's doing pretty well, hopefully done with radiation. She really wanted him to return this year, he had friends and really liked me. Problem was, he'd have me for one class, the other 7 with other teachers. Biggest problem of all was the 8th grade teacher, homeroom. This is a male that I'm pretty certain is on steroids. I've written about him before. Seems he had taken to calling this kid, 'Dingleberry' the refuse of refuse. Yes, abusive. Yes, like has been reported to the principal that has done zilch. He's a lousy teacher in math and science, but he's a 'male' on steroids. Somehow the principal believes the kids are going to connect with him because of his interest in sports.

He belittles the kids, yet favors certain girls. It's very uncomfortable for me and other adults in the school. While I do 'silent lunch' for the kids that don't get their homework completed, he does the lunch room. Seems he sits at a table with 7th and 8th grade girls. Somehow this seems a disaster in the making.

Can anyone tell I'm not looking forward to another year at this school? Luckily if I make it through, my kids are done with college at the end of the year. I can look for teaching positions out of state.

gabosaurus
08-08-2008, 06:35 PM
I look forward to returning to school. I have a lot of things that I want to do, a lot of programs that I want to implement.
Most of all, I want to see how many kids that I have worked with will be returning to school. And I want to continue working on kids who are borderline dropouts.
I normally stress how dropping out of school dooms you to a life of failure. We stress technical and vocational programs, night school and home/school co-ops.

Mr. P
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I had a disturbing call last night. One of my parents, a Hispanic mother with cancer, called to tell me that her son will not be returning for 8th grade. She wanted me to know, as the quandary for her son was me and the few friends he'd made in the past two years. She has cancer and recently separated from her husband, that was physically abusive to her and her son.

He was a 'throw away baby', found in a refuse container, addicted to crack. He was adopted by the mom that called me. He came to our school in 6th grade, 4th school. He'd been held back 2 times and is a huge kid. Literally 6'+, 210 lbs, easy. His maturity is probably about 4th grade, and that was at the end of 7th grade. I considered him 'my baby Huey'. Nice kid, lousy student. At the same time, it's not hard to understand why, with the mess his home life has been. I figured, 'forget school' focus on the kid. He rarely was late with my assignments, but got 'F's' from the other two teachers. Smart enough, just wouldn't work if he didn't like the teacher.

Last night she told me she's doing pretty well, hopefully done with radiation. She really wanted him to return this year, he had friends and really liked me. Problem was, he'd have me for one class, the other 7 with other teachers. Biggest problem of all was the 8th grade teacher, homeroom. This is a male that I'm pretty certain is on steroids. I've written about him before. Seems he had taken to calling this kid, 'Dingleberry' the refuse of refuse. Yes, abusive. Yes, like has been reported to the principal that has done zilch. He's a lousy teacher in math and science, but he's a 'male' on steroids. Somehow the principal believes the kids are going to connect with him because of his interest in sports.

He belittles the kids, yet favors certain girls. It's very uncomfortable for me and other adults in the school. While I do 'silent lunch' for the kids that don't get their homework completed, he does the lunch room. Seems he sits at a table with 7th and 8th grade girls. Somehow this seems a disaster in the making.

Can anyone tell I'm not looking forward to another year at this school? Luckily if I make it through, my kids are done with college at the end of the year. I can look for teaching positions out of state.

Less money I'm sure but they are what they say they are. Come on down!
http://www.gwalton.com/gwa_overview.htm

Hobbit
08-08-2008, 09:06 PM
The Georgia school system is one of the most misguided I've ever seen before, and considering those morons in Atlanta run it, it's not surprising. No matter what the problem is, they throw money at it, which has created an interesting situation in our state where the best funded schools are also the worst.

LiberalNation
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Still think it's an idea that would work if the goal is to improve student grades. I move out start classes in two weeks. Wish somebody would pay me instead of having to pay them.

Mr. P
08-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Still think it's an idea that would work if the goal is to improve student grades. I move out start classes in two weeks. Wish somebody would pay me instead of having to pay them.

Spoken like a true Marxist. From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

emmett
08-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Dear Miss Kathy........ What a treasure you are! Unfortunately, your profession sort of like all Americans has agreed to "settle" somewhat for less than what most consider to be the standard. Knowing you, which I guess I do I could say this. Just the thought that one of my kids was on their way to a school where they would be seated in your classroom, gives me goosebumps.

This program they are referring to is another loser. It is a prescription for failure. Life's challanges, in work, family and socially will flatten these kids if school starts them off like this. This is an example of how lacking our education system is in Georgia. Here is a state with one of the finest guarentees of post secondary education for a child who performs at an average level (The Hope schloarship program). All a kid has to do in Georgia is make B's, that's all. B's! If they do, they are guarenteed a state funded, never to be paid back, tuition assurance program. What the hell would we need a system like this for?

The problem is the teachers! Our teachers are poorly educated themselves. They lack ambition, are not determined and most certainly, not successful. Combined with the fact that our parents are the poorest at family integrity in the nation, no wonder we rank 49th or 50th every damn year. Most of our kids can work the shit out a Nintendo game or X-Box but can't tell you the capitol of a neighboring state. We are the perfect example here in Georgia of what parenting plus teaching has become in a state where fathers are absent from 34% of homes, drugs infest, just infest our inner city in Atlanta and parents ride around in cars they cannot afford, working jobs they are not qualified for and expect handouts.

Atlanta is run by democrats, 79% of our elected education board members are Democrats, our house is majority Democrat and we have a lame duck Republican Governor who is never heard from or seen in public.

Please move to Georgia when you quit your job and teach here. They will hate you, I mean love you!

Psychoblues
08-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Good gawd I hate a suck ass!!!!!!! I think I am beginning to understand all those necklaces, emmie!!!!!!!!!!