PDA

View Full Version : Server PHP and CPanel upgrade

jimnyc
01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Sorry everyone, my bad! My webhost did in fact forewarn me that they would be upgrading these aspects of the server today and I forgot about it. While these were upgraded the server was not writable, and you likely saw a "500 internal server error" for about 15 minutes for the duration of the upgrade. This was normal, the upgrade has been completed and we are good to go.

Joan
01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm glad you explained this as I was getting pissed at you!

jimnyc
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm glad you explained this as I was getting pissed at you!

Don't get angry with me when hardware fails or they're doing software or kernel upgrades! The only time the site is down as a direct result of me is when I upgrade the vbulletin software - which you can all look forward to soon! Only takes a few minutes though.

hjmick
01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Only takes a few minutes though.

Famous last words.

Immanuel
01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Don't get angry with me when hardware fails or they're doing software or kernel upgrades! The only time the site is down as a direct result of me is when I upgrade the vbulletin software - which you can all look forward to soon! Only takes a few minutes though.

It is too much fun to blame you!

Immie

Gaffer
01-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey it's either blame you or Bush.

LiberalNation
01-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Shoot, blame em both.

gabosaurus
01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Do you think this will help with the board's incredibly slow load times and tendency to log people out at the slightest whim. The board server must be incredibly crappy.

jimnyc
01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Do you think this will help with the board's incredibly slow load times and tendency to log people out at the slightest whim. The board server must be incredibly crappy.

I've got 2 remote servers running constant checks on the server at constant intervals. They check HTTP, FTP, POP, SMTP and SQL. Other than a few instances where the server has crashed, we are seeing response times of between 30-50ms from a server in Seattle and a server in Washington DC. I monitor these logs daily and they tell me when their a spikes in response time for any aspect of the server. Friday and Saturday the server had issues due to a DDOS attack on the server. The targeted site has since been suspended and removed from the server. Outside of that we have a board uptime of over 97% and increasing, and an average daily load of 43ms, which is exceptionally fast reporting. Keep in mind, the internet is kinda big and lots of other things come into play when you have slow load times. Most computers will go through anywhere from 15-25 routers before reaching the site, and it only takes one to cause a slowdown.

As for logging you out, I suggest performing a routine maintenance on your crappy computer more often, clearing cache and cookies in the process.