PDA

View Full Version : Proud parent of High school Wrestler

Trigg
01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
This is just my thread to show off about my oldest son.

He just finished the sectionals in our area, a total of 11 schools competing and came in 4th. Which means he qualifies for Regionals as a FRESHMAN!!!!!!!!!

Yes we're proud of him, especially since he came out of his depressed funk from a loosing streak a couple of weeks ago. After many talks we convinced him to just wrestle his heart out and not worry about winning or loosing, this of course has lead him to winning, which we knew it would.

He's also an honor roll student------just to prove he's not just muscle and no brain.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

jackass
01-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Congrats!! Im sure you are proud. At what age did he start wrestling? My son wants to wrestle but he is just 7. Im not sure if kids this young wrestle or not.

Trigg
01-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Congrats!! Im sure you are proud. At what age did he start wrestling? My son wants to wrestle but he is just 7. Im not sure if kids this young wrestle or not.

Thanks!! My husband and I are very proud of him and his achievments. As for wrestling and when he started, he started in 6th grade at age 12, however there is a wrestleing club that teaches free style for children ages 4-???? everyone can join.

7 years old is a good age to start they get the basics down and develope "muscle memory". Its really good exercise for them as well.

You might want to check into the junior high or hig school programs and see if they offer any "wrestling clubs", if not they should be able to tell you where they are. It usually only cost a one time fee of about 30 dollars and they train 2 nights a week. You will be amazed at how much wrestling actually goes on throughout the year for these kids. They even have state championships for the free style.

Remember though, there is a big difference between Free style and Folk style. The rules are different so sometimes they (the kids) need to unlearn some of the rules when they start to wrestle for school..

Trigg
02-02-2008, 07:53 AM
I feel the need to bring this thread up again. My son is at the Individual Regionals today. He is a freshman and has made a good showing this year and is getting ready to compete in the regionals this morning.

To be able to do this he had to place in the top 4 at the sectional level (out of 12 schools all varsity)and we are hoping for a placement of 3rd or higher that way he can continue to the Semi-state.:2up::mm:

I have to say we have been very proud of him this year and he has shown a dramatic increase in his abilities as a high school wrestler..

everyone wish him luck today and continued success..

Kathianne
02-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I feel the need to bring this thread up again. My son is at the Individual Regionals today. He is a freshman and has made a good showing this year and is getting ready to compete in the regionals this morning.

To be able to do this he had to place in the top 4 at the sectional level (out of 12 schools all varsity)and we are hoping for a placement of 3rd or higher that way he can continue to the Semi-state.:2up::mm:

I have to say we have been very proud of him this year and he has shown a dramatic increase in his abilities as a high school wrestler..

everyone wish him luck today and continued success..

Good luck! You should be very proud!

jackass
02-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Good luck! I hope he does well!!

gabosaurus
02-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Participation in athletics is pretty essential, in my opinion. It teaches kids discipline, respect for authority and interpersonal relationships with other students.
I've watched high school wrestling before. You have to be incredibly dedicated and hard working to succeed. Congrats to your son!!

Joan
02-02-2008, 01:13 PM
This is something to be very proud of! Good luck to him today!

Trigg
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
UPDATE:

Well he won't go on to semi-state. Today was a single elimination and he ended up wrestling the first place kid from the other sectional. This kid ended up winning overall at 112lbs.

He put up a good fight and I have it on disk, he got on top a couple of times and didn't get pinned, which he was real proud of. The kid was a senior and had an undefeted record so not getting pinned was a major accomplishment.

My brother-in-laws cousin also wrestled 112 today and lost to the same kid.

LiberalNation
02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
My cousins wrestling at state right now and his parents and brother are up at our house so they don't hafta pay for a hotel. They expect their team to win state and if he keeps winning matches he'll be ranked 8th out of all the wrestlersin kentucky. Guy in the light blue.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5118/picture010ix1.jpg

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/6594/picture014kh5.jpg

Trigg
02-16-2008, 10:05 AM
8th in the state would be a huge accomplishment. Wrestling is a tough sport.

Let us know how he does!!

2 of our wrestlers went to state this weekend also.

LiberalNation
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
He's definitely going to rank and get to stand up for a medal now. Between 6th and 3rd in the state.