PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with the board connection

Mr. P
01-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Today and last night too...anyone else?

I get "page reset by server" or "Data base error".

-Cp
01-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Today and last night too...anyone else?

I get "page reset by server" or "Data base error".

It's not you, it's cause Jim won't get a better hosting company.. :)

Immanuel
01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Blame it on Jim! :)

Immie

Pale Rider
01-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah on and off it's been the pits for the last two days. It's because Jim's server made some upgrades, and now there's some websites that they host that some of the programs lock up the server and it shuts everything down, for everybody, or something like that. Jim can tell it in more detail.

jimnyc
01-26-2008, 05:35 PM
It's not you, it's cause Jim won't get a better hosting company.. :)

** Edited - Upon reflection, I will say nothing here **

jimnyc
01-26-2008, 05:40 PM
FWIW to everyone else, the server the site is hosted on has been under a constant DDOS attack - which is a "denial of service". In English, as am example, people will use a network of sites to repeatedly send "requests" to the server and utilize all of it's resources leaving it either extremely slow or kill it altogether. The only method of prevention when this happens is to block the offending IP's one by one, or as a group, until the attack stops. Unfortunately, whoever was/is doing this has returned several times via different IP subnets.

I don't care who you're hosted with, when this happens you can only do what you need to do to stop it. There really is no way to stop it pro-actively.

My host has taken an additional step of suspending the site on the server that was the target of the attacks but that's still no guarantee that this is the end of it, but hopefully it is.

jimnyc
01-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah on and off it's been the pits for the last two days. It's because Jim's server made some upgrades, and now there's some websites that they host that some of the programs lock up the server and it shuts everything down, for everybody, or something like that. Jim can tell it in more detail.

That was my original thought. This did start not long after the server had it's PHP upgraded on the backend. My assumption is that another site on the server might have had a conflict with the new version which might have caused their scripts to act inappropriately and utilize too many resources as a result. While this still can be an issue for other sites on this server, our site was not effected by the upgrade, and the errors you have been seeing is because the server was so bogged down by the DDOS attack that it never replied to your queries, and instead replied with the error.

Pale Rider
01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
That was my original thought. This did start not long after the server had it's PHP upgraded on the backend. My assumption is that another site on the server might have had a conflict with the new version which might have caused their scripts to act inappropriately and utilize too many resources as a result. While this still can be an issue for other sites on this server, our site was not effected by the upgrade, and the errors you have been seeing is because the server was so bogged down by the DDOS attack that it never replied to your queries, and instead replied with the error.

Found two acronyms for DDOS... 1) Distributed Denial of Service, and 2) Decision Disk Operating System. Are either correct to what you're refering to? Just trying to learn something here... :confused:

jimnyc
01-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Found two acronyms for DDOS... 1) Distributed Denial of Service, and 2) Decision Disk Operating System. Are either correct to what you're refering to? Just trying to learn something here... :confused:

The bolded one is what I am referring to. Here's a good write up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack