PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Democrat results

jimnyc
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Who do you guys think will win there today? Shouldn't the results start rolling in before too long?

LiberalNation
01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
All the news is saying Obama based on exit polls. Not a suprise.

82Marine89
01-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Obama runs away with SC primary

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Barack Obama routed Hillary Rodham Clinton in the racially-charged South Carolina primary Saturday night, regaining campaign momentum in the prelude to a Feb. 5 coast-to-coast competition for more than 1,600 Democratic National Convention delegates.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina was running third, a sharp setback in the state where he was born and scored a primary victory in his first presidential campaign four years ago.

The Associated Press made its call based on surveys of voters as they left the polls.

About half the voters were black, according to polling place interviews, and four out of five of them supported Obama. Black women turned out in particularly large numbers. Obama, the first-term Illinois senator, got a quarter of the white vote while Clinton and Edwards split the rest.

The victory was Obama's first since he won the kick-off Iowa caucuses on Jan. 3. Clinton, a New York senator and former first lady, scored an upset in the New Hampshire primary a few days later. They split the Nevada caucuses, she winning the turnout race, he gaining a one-delegate margin. In a historic race, she hopes to become the first woman to occupy the White House, and Obama is the strongest black contender in history.

The South Carolina primary marked the end of the first phase of the campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, a series of single-state contests that winnowed the field, conferred co-front-runner status on Clinton and Obama but had relatively few delegates at stake.

That all changes in 10 days' time, when New York, Illinois and California are among the 15 states holding primaries in a virtual nationwide primary. Another seven states and American Samoa will hold Democratic caucuses on the same day.

All three contenders campaigned in South Carolina on primary day, but only Obama and Edwards arranged to speak to supporters after the polls closed. Clinton decided to fly to Tennessee, one of the Feb. 5 states, leaving as the polls were closing.

After playing a muted role in the earlier contests, the issue of race dominated an incendiary week that included a shift in strategy for Obama, a remarkably bitter debate and fresh scrutiny of the former president's role in his wife's campaign.

Each side accused the other of playing the race card, sparking a controversy that frequently involved Bill Clinton.

"They are getting votes, to be sure, because of their race or gender. That's why people tell me Hillary doesn't have a chance of winning here," former President Clinton said at one stop as he campaigned for his wife, strongly suggesting that blacks would not support a white alternative to Obama.

Clinton campaign strategists denied any intentional effort to stir the racial debate. But they said they believe the fallout has had the effect of branding Obama as "the black candidate," a tag that could hurt him outside the South.

Click for full text... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/south_carolina_primary)

LiberalNation
01-26-2008, 07:25 PM
She needs cali, more mexicans there which will help her. He wont win SC anyway in the general election. It'll go red like normal.

Pale Rider
01-26-2008, 07:45 PM
With the first counts in, bambam is kicking hitlery's ass. He's got the black vote 5 to 1 over her. Gee, blacks aren't voting for bambam because he's BLACK are they? That would be RACIST, and we know blacks can't be racist.

OCA
01-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Let me put this to you guys this way.......when Jessie Jackson ran he won S.C.

This don't mean shit, it don't give him any momentum, it don't give him jack. On super Tuesday he meets his Waterloo and he will probably fold up the tent before that week is over.

Yurt
01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Let me put this to you guys this way.......when Jessie Jackson ran he won S.C.

This don't mean shit, it don't give him any momentum, it don't give him jack. On super Tuesday he meets his Waterloo and he will probably fold up the tent before that week is over.

:lol:

good point

Hugh Lincoln
01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I knew those rednecks were a bunch of sexists.

Pale Rider
01-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah ole bambam is ranting up a hell of a victory speech, promising the sun and moon to all his followers and doing his level best to sound like Abraham Lincoln or somebody, but not one word about HOW he intends to pull off all these massive miracles that are going to save our nation... :uhoh:

What a fucking blow hard.

Dilloduck
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Heck--Hillary is giving her "thank you South Carolina" speech from Nashville !! :lmao:

MtnBiker
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Heck--Hillary is giving her "thank you South Carolina" speech from Nashville !! :lmao:
It looks like the audience is drugged, snoozesville.

NATO AIR
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I campaigned for Obama this week in SC (much as I campaigned for McCain the week before) twice... its only a 2 hour drive. Btw, campaigning for me means passing out policy placards, asking people to get registered for vote and talking up the 2 candidates I support to people at malls, street corners and sporting events. For McCain I emphasized that we needed a veteran in office who understood military and diplomatic strategy, as well as somebody willing to put his country over his party in his votes and beliefs, for Obama the corruption and nepotism of the Clintons.

I was intrigued by the respect conservatives in the heavily conservative Greenville area had for Obama. Especially the young and the old. The fact that he spoke openly and candidly about his faith helped in this most Bible belt of Bible belts. The other major thing I heard was that most seemed to believe his good nature and his good judgement.... they figured if they had to lose to a Dem, he could actually be a president they could support now and then versus Hillary or Edwards.

One last big thing I picked up on... they respected him for his opposition to the war in Iraq from the beginning and his honesty in approaching it in Washington. Not that most agreed with him... but they respected his opinion much more so than the opportunistic Clintons.

Oh well. I can't help but be excited by people my age (especially) giving a damn and paying attention, whether they like Romney, Clinton, McCain, Paul or Obama. And that's what I've been struck by throughout this year... how many more 18-30 year olds give a damn right now.

And that age group came out in force today for Obama. Makes you wonder what the potential could be if he gets the nomination. I only wish Romney or McCain could inspire that way...

01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Romney's inspiring me that way. And I am in that age range. I have a friend so excited about Romney he is trying to finally officially become a citizen (He has been a legal resident almost all of his life). There is more excitement than you might think.

As for the race itself. I am surprised. I knew Obama would win but Hillary was crushed. and while i havent seen exit polls i dont think she can just claim its a racial thing.

NATO AIR
01-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Romney's inspiring me that way. And I am in that age range. I have a friend so excited about Romney he is trying to finally officially become a citizen (He has been a legal resident almost all of his life). There is more excitement than you might think.

As for the race itself. I am surprised. I knew Obama would win but Hillary was crushed. and while i havent seen exit polls i dont think she can just claim its a racial thing.

That's good you feel that way about Romney. Just haven't seen it. If he'd run on his record as governor of Mass. (mainly his skill in co-opting the opposition and doing some good in the process) and his ideas, I would have supported him and been happy to do so.

Oh well. I hope he does inspire the youth to vote. The boomers and the retirees have far too much influence, especially since we're the ones paying for their screw-ups.

MtnBiker
01-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Historically young people represent a low percentage of the vote.

NATO AIR
01-26-2008, 11:55 PM

A true observation that hopefully will be altered by events this year.

LiberalNation
01-26-2008, 11:58 PM
I'll vote but I doubt most people my age will. 18 & 19 year olds just don't seem that interested to actually take time out to vote. Sure we talk about the issues some but as far as actually getting involved....

Psychoblues
01-27-2008, 12:42 AM
You must be in a city environment, ln. All the kids in the country vote on their parents insistense. And most of them know far more about bullshit and politics than you might ever imagine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll vote but I doubt most people my age will. 18 & 19 year olds just don't seem that interested to actually take time out to vote. Sure we talk about the issues some but as far as actually getting involved....

Get involved, ln, it might mean your own future!!!!!!!!!!

OCA
01-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I campaigned for Obama this week in SC (much as I campaigned for McCain the week before) twice... its only a 2 hour drive. Btw, campaigning for me means passing out policy placards, asking people to get registered for vote and talking up the 2 candidates I support to people at malls, street corners and sporting events. For McCain I emphasized that we needed a veteran in office who understood military and diplomatic strategy, as well as somebody willing to put his country over his party in his votes and beliefs, for Obama the corruption and nepotism of the Clintons.

I was intrigued by the respect conservatives in the heavily conservative Greenville area had for Obama. Especially the young and the old. The fact that he spoke openly and candidly about his faith helped in this most Bible belt of Bible belts. The other major thing I heard was that most seemed to believe his good nature and his good judgement.... they figured if they had to lose to a Dem, he could actually be a president they could support now and then versus Hillary or Edwards.

One last big thing I picked up on... they respected him for his opposition to the war in Iraq from the beginning and his honesty in approaching it in Washington. Not that most agreed with him... but they respected his opinion much more so than the opportunistic Clintons.

Oh well. I can't help but be excited by people my age (especially) giving a damn and paying attention, whether they like Romney, Clinton, McCain, Paul or Obama. And that's what I've been struck by throughout this year... how many more 18-30 year olds give a damn right now.

And that age group came out in force today for Obama. Makes you wonder what the potential could be if he gets the nomination. I only wish Romney or McCain could inspire that way...

NATO the young vote for Obama for 1 simple reason, he's Black and they think thats cool, its not for any issue position he takes.

OCA
01-27-2008, 08:44 AM

For the love of God! Jesse Jackson won S.C. too! It most certainly was a racial thing! Hillary will crush him on super Tuesday and after that all that is left is to find out which Repub will get the nomination and get pounded in the general election.

01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
For the love of God! Jesse Jackson won S.C. too! It most certainly was a racial thing! Hillary will crush him on super Tuesday and after that all that is left is to find out which Repub will get the nomination and get pounded in the general election.

look at the exit polls. it wasnt a purely racial thing.

OCA
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM

Exit polls schmexit polls, they mean nothing. For 1 do you actually think someone would admit to voting for him based solely on the color of his skin? Secondly the exit polls are unreliable historically because the exit polling in Ohio in 2004 had Kerry way ahead and VOILA! Bush wins the state.

Regardless it don't matter, basically Osama would need every state from here on out and the Democrat voters in those states to be at least half Black in order to have a chance, simply put and as I stated months ago.........Whites over the age of 25 are not going to vote for this guy in any great numbers, this is America after all.

Trigg
01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

4 out of 5 blacks voted Obama it most certainly was a racial thing.

OCA
01-27-2008, 12:53 PM

The crowd chanted "Race doesn't matter". But race did play a part. Obama took 78% of the African-American vote but did poorly among white voters, except for those below the age of 24.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08/story/0,,2247789,00.html

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Regardless it don't matter, basically Osama would need every state from here on out and the Democrat voters in those states to be at least half Black in order to have a chance, simply put and as I stated months ago.........Whites over the age of 25 are not going to vote for this guy in any great numbers, this is America after all.

Well that gives me some hope for my chosen candidate but I still don't share your optimisim.

PostmodernProphet
01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by MtnBiker

new history gets made, every day......

Black Lance
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM
new history gets made, every day......

... and history has a tendency to repeat itself.

NATO AIR
01-27-2008, 04:10 PM

The crowd chanted "Race doesn't matter". But race did play a part. Obama took 78% of the African-American vote but did poorly among white voters, except for those below the age of 24.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08/story/0,,2247789,00.html

Perhaps racism is not as prevalent among the younger generation.

In an ideal world, we would be like the military, where we're all green (or blue in the Navy). I miss that world already.

But I do respect Obama's conscious effort to be for all Americans. I don't like how his supporters were so easily baited by the Clintons into injecting race into the debate but that was perhaps bound to happen because of the resentment most educated blacks felt towards the Clintons and especially Bill's "black president' crap.

OCA
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Perhaps racism is not as prevalent among the younger generation.

In an ideal world, we would be like the military, where we're all green (or blue in the Navy). I miss that world already.

But I do respect Obama's conscious effort to be for all Americans. I don't like how his supporters were so easily baited by the Clintons into injecting race into the debate but that was perhaps bound to happen because of the resentment most educated blacks felt towards the Clintons and especially Bill's "black president' crap.

No racism is not prevalent among the younger generation but failure to see facts and reality concerning Blacks sure is.