PDA

View Full Version : McCain: Desperately lying?

Yurt
01-26-2008, 08:11 PM
McCain: Romney favored Iraq withdrawal

ORLANDO, Fla. - John McCain accused Mitt Romney of wanting to set a timetable to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, drawing immediate protest from his Republican presidential rival who said: "That's simply wrong and it's dishonest, and he should apologize."

With economic troubles dominating the race, McCain opened the new line of criticism against Romney at his first event of the day in Fort Myers, Fla., and sought to shift the campaign back to his strength, national security, and away from Romney's, the economy.

First, he slapped at Romney without naming him during a question-and-answer session with Floridians, saying: "Now, one of my opponents wanted to set a date for withdrawal that would have meant disaster."

Minutes later to reporters, the Arizona senator was more direct: "If we surrender and wave a white flag, like Senator Clinton wants to do, and withdraw, as Governor Romney wanted to do, then there will be chaos, genocide, and the cost of American blood and treasure would be dramatically higher."

Asked about the comment in Land O' Lakes, Fla., Romney bristled.

"That's dishonest, to say that I have a specific date. That's simply wrong," he said. "That is not the case. I've never said that."

But Romney quotes circulated by McCain's campaign didn't show Romney making that exact comment — nor did aides back up McCain's earlier comment that suggested that Romney "wanted to set a date for withdrawal."
desperate (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080126/ap_on_el_pr/republicans_florida;_ylt=ArSR1ueZ0mRSXmtyf8EDsnoDW 7oF)

Pale Rider
01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I still don't know what it is the people that call themselves a republican see in this liberal turd. Is it the fact that he tried to push through the biggest amnesty for illegal aliens in history? Is it because he and the liberal feingold did their level best to silence the public? Or is it simply because he's an old fucker with a temper like a snake? I don't know.

Yurt
01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
I still don't know what it is the people that call themselves a republican see in this liberal turd. Is it the fact that he tried to push through the biggest amnesty for illegal aliens in history? Is it because he and the liberal feingold did their level best to silence the public? Or is it simply because he's an old fucker with a temper like a snake? I don't know.

beats me. my guess is that his "moderate" ways appeal to some repubs, plus he is a war hero, POW. like the previous attempt, he will garner initial support, his streak of "independence" will make him look superficially good, then when it comes down to it, he will tank just like last time.

theHawk
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Its not exactly a lie.

In an interview with ABC News in 2007, Romney said: "There's no question that the president and (Iraqi) Prime Minister al-Maliki have to have a series of timetables and milestones that they speak about. But those shouldn't be for public pronouncement. You don't want the enemy to understand how long they have to wait in the weeds until you're going to be gone."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080126/ap_on_el_pr/republicans_florida;_ylt=ArSR1ueZ0mRSXmtyf8EDsnoDW 7oF

Yurt
01-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Its not exactly a lie.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080126/ap_on_el_pr/republicans_florida;_ylt=ArSR1ueZ0mRSXmtyf8EDsnoDW 7oF

Exactly?????

It is either true or not. There is no grey area here. Someone made a McClaim and they were wrong. There is no grey area, period.

It was McLame that made the claim, the burden therefore falls on him to back it up. Period.

Psychoblues
01-26-2008, 11:04 PM
You miss the point, yurt. I think the question is whether or not Romney ever supported a timetable for troop withdrawal from Iraq or whether John McCain lied about it.

I think both of them are lying on this issue.

NATO AIR
01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I agree McCain lied here. A stupid, putrid lie.

BIG WHOOPTY DOO... Romney's been doing the same for months now.

Why do you think he's so detested by the other candidates? And their supporters?

Psychoblues
01-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Would you buy a used car from him? That is the overlying question.

Why do you think he's so detested by the other candidates? And their supporters?

If so, you're probably gonna get fucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-2008, 01:28 AM

Because he compares their records and they cant defend themselves. That's why. he is their biggest threat. That is why they hate him.

01-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Its not exactly a lie.

Actually, it is. no where in that quote are mentioned any sort of time tables for withdrawal. Simply timetables. and i think any logical person would have time tables for when they governments want certain things to happen. its called planning 101.

Psychoblues
01-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Uhhhhhh, Planning 101 would indicate a freshman college course for which I feel most here would not comprehend, a'21.

Actually, it is. no where in that quote are mentioned any sort of time tables for withdrawal. Simply timetables. and i think any logical person would have time tables for when they governments want certain things to happen. its called planning 101.

On the other hand, I agree that timetables, projections, reasonable expectations based on other reasonable activities and so forth could be communicated to the people that are paying the greatest price for the desired outcome, don't you? This is not a college level question, is it?

nevadamedic
01-27-2008, 03:14 AM
McCain: Romney favored Iraq withdrawal

ORLANDO, Fla. - John McCain accused Mitt Romney of wanting to set a timetable to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, drawing immediate protest from his Republican presidential rival who said: "That's simply wrong and it's dishonest, and he should apologize."

With economic troubles dominating the race, McCain opened the new line of criticism against Romney at his first event of the day in Fort Myers, Fla., and sought to shift the campaign back to his strength, national security, and away from Romney's, the economy.

First, he slapped at Romney without naming him during a question-and-answer session with Floridians, saying: "Now, one of my opponents wanted to set a date for withdrawal that would have meant disaster."

Minutes later to reporters, the Arizona senator was more direct: "If we surrender and wave a white flag, like Senator Clinton wants to do, and withdraw, as Governor Romney wanted to do, then there will be chaos, genocide, and the cost of American blood and treasure would be dramatically higher."

Asked about the comment in Land O' Lakes, Fla., Romney bristled.

"That's dishonest, to say that I have a specific date. That's simply wrong," he said. "That is not the case. I've never said that."

But Romney quotes circulated by McCain's campaign didn't show Romney making that exact comment — nor did aides back up McCain's earlier comment that suggested that Romney "wanted to set a date for withdrawal."
desperate (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080126/ap_on_el_pr/republicans_florida;_ylt=ArSR1ueZ0mRSXmtyf8EDsnoDW 7oF)

Multiple Choice Mitt did say before the surge that he wanted to set a timetable for getting troops out of there.

Psychoblues
01-27-2008, 04:12 AM
Soooooooo, you are admitting that Mitt took the Planning 101 course?

Multiple Choice Mitt did say before the surge that he wanted to set a timetable for getting troops out of there.

Sounds reasonable to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

nevadamedic
01-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Soooooooo, you are admitting that Mitt took the Planning 101 course?

Sounds reasonable to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

What in the hell are you talking about? You need to sober up before you post again.

Classact
01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Anyone with an iota of common sense knows that there is a timetable to reduce troops as the government of Iraq is able to secure itself. The entire troop policy is based on progress of the Iraqi government. From the beginning the Democratic Party has been using "timetable for withdraw" as a weapon for defeat against President Bush's efforts. Bush... as they stand up we stand down... Dems we must admit defeat because we are losing...

Without doubt Bush has had and has timetables with the Iraqi government for troop reductions but he cannot announce them since it would allow the enemy to plan towards a specific date.

This is a blatantly stupid claim by McCain that Romney said anything about cutting and running. Only brain dead people could make a conclusion that Romney said cut and run by a certain date since he said he would veto legislation with timetables. That makes McCain and anyone who buys his statement brain-dead.

stephanie
01-27-2008, 07:12 AM
I appreciate McCain for his service and struggles that he went through Vietnam...

But since he has become a career Politician in our Government..I do NOT trust him as a Republican candidate...

Unfortunately I would like to see a term limit for these types...Like the 99 yr old Bird(a Democrat)..who has to be helped onto the floor in order to vote...the man makes hardly any sense......sorry...

People........we need to take OUR GOVERMENT back from these career POLITICANS.....both Democrats and Republicans........Come one lets move together on this.......if not...........we are screwed...both by DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS......

WAKE UP..

red states rule
01-27-2008, 07:21 AM

McCain is more interested in getting glowing coverage from the NY Times and Washington Post - and being a guest on the Chris Matthews Show and have Chirs tell him what a great patriot he is for opposing whatever Pres Bush wants - then standing up for what is right for America

red states rule
01-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Here is an update - it seems McCain is the one lying about Mitt's comments

Desperate people do desperate things

January 26, 2008
Did he or didn't he?

John McCain has accused Mitt Romney of having "wanted to set a date for withdrawal [from Iraq] that would have meant disaster." McCain apparently is referring to a statement Romney made last April in which he assumed President Bush and the head of the Iraqi government might discuss timetables and troop levels in Iraq. I don't think Romney's statement fairly can be construed as advocating setting a date for our withdrawal.

On the other hand, there’s little doubt that Romney was less resolute on Iraq than McCain. When I interviewed Romney around the time the administration had decided to surge, his position was that the surge was well worth trying, that we’d know in a few months whether it was working, and that if it wasn’t working we’d have to try something else. I wasn’t able to get Romney to say what his “Plan B” was, but he seemed clear that it wasn’t withdrawal.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/01/019642.php

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll tell ya what, if Romney wants ALL our troops out of Iraq, where I believe we should never have gone in the first place, then I like him all the better for that. Fuck this war mongering, occupying and nation building. That isn't what America is supposed to be about.

At this point, and I highly doubt I'll change my mind, I'm either voting for Romney or Paul.

Classact
01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
I watched CNN Late Edition and one of his guest pannel speakers called McCain's "strait talk express" a joke and then he called McCain a flat out liar.

red states rule
01-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I'll tell ya what, if Romney wants ALL our troops out of Iraq, where I believe we should never have gone in the first place, then I like him all the better for that. Fuck this war mongering, occupying and nation building. That isn't what America is supposed to be about.

At this point, and I highly doubt I'll change my mind, I'm either voting for Romney or Paul.

PR, there is more to Iraq then defeating AQ

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290723,00.html

Pale Rider
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
PR, there is more to Iraq then defeating AQ

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290723,00.html

I don't buy that spin rsr, and I'll tell ya why, because Iraq now has a better trainged army than when Saddam was in power, and Iran didn't do anything then, they'd be even dumber to try and invade it now.

The main reason we're IN Iraq is OIL. The main reason we went INTO Iraq was OIL. The main reason we're not LEAVING Iraq is OIL.

red states rule
01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
I don't buy that spin rsr, and I'll tell ya why, because Iraq now has a better trainged army than when Saddam was in power, and Iran didn't do anything then, they'd be even dumber to try and invade it now.

The main reason we're IN Iraq is OIL. The main reason we went INTO Iraq was OIL. The main reason we're not LEAVING Iraq is OIL.

Again, we have to agree to disagree. If we leave now, it is a victory for Iran, and it is telling the terrorists the US does not have the guts to finish the fight

theHawk
01-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Oh, so he must have been talking about timetables for when Iraqi government buidings would have indoor plumming. :laugh2:

Black Lance
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I agree with PaleRider. We never should have gone into Iraq in the first place, and if Iran invades Iraq after we withdraw, we have methods of dealing with that.

The United States has never had much luck at nation building. Destroying aggressor governments, however, is something we have proven ourselves to be quite good at.