PDA

View Full Version : Run, Illegal, Run

Yurt
01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
'Hispanic panic' as Arizona immigration crackdown bites

PHOENIX, Arizona (AFP) - One month after Arizona introduced a law cracking down on businesses which employ illegal immigrants, Latino workers are fleeing the state and companies are laying off employees in droves, officials and activists say.

Even though a federal judge ruled last week that there will be no prosecutions under the law until March, it has done little to prevent a phenomenon being dubbed "Hispanic Panic."

Workers are going back to Mexico or to other states, Reza said. He predicted small businesses forced to lay off skilled employees like welders will now pay them in cash, creating a black economy.

bye :fu: (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usimmigrationeconomyarizona;_ylt=AqQy.Tv526wHzucg6 3do1skDW7oF)

82Marine89
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Rank-and-file Republicans are disgruntled about McCain's support for campaign finance reform and gun control and his opposition to a federal ban on gay marriage. Conservative anger reached a boiling point in 2004 when McCain led the opposition to Prop 200, a state ballot measure restricting public services for undocumented immigrants. (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070305/blumenthal)

Yurt
01-26-2008, 08:31 PM
He should be banned from the party. I seriously can't believe anyone supports McLame (tagged from PR, like it)

Hugh Lincoln
01-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I seriously can't believe anyone supports McLame

The New York Times does!

John McCain, R-New York Times

Trigg
01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
The New York Times does!

John McCain, R-New York Times

The Times would love to see McCain and Hillary run against each other, a dem on both sides.

5stringJeff
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Workers are going back to Mexico or to other states, Reza said.

It's working!!! Yay!!! :dance:

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
He should be banned from the party. I seriously can't believe anyone supports McLame (tagged from PR, like it)

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Yurt again.

Deportation through attrition. Now where's all those people that said we couldn't deport all the illegals? We can, because if we pass the right laws enough of them will deport themselves, and we can handle the rest.

pegwinn
01-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Yurt http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=192160#post192160)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Yurt again. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Deportation through attrition. Now where's all those people that said we couldn't deport all the illegals? We can, because if we pass the right laws enough of them will deport themselves, and we can handle the rest.
I tried to rep Yurt and it wouldn't let me. The truth is that we cannot deport twelve million people. And it isn't treason to say it.
I totally agree that this thing is what is needed by each state so they will deport themselves and we don't have to spend the money on the logistics.
Viva La KickemOut

Gaffer
01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I have been saying it for years. Dry up the jobs and the illegals will leave. The states that are doing that are proving me correct. We just need the rest of the states to do the same.

Little-Acorn
01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
The truth is that we cannot deport twelve million people.

Of courese not. And we can't stop all bank robberies or catch all bank robbers, either. Does that mean we shouldn't try?

I totally agree that this thing is what is needed by each state so they will deport themselves and we don't have to spend the money on the logistics.
Absolutely. Actually three things are needed:

1.) Build the fence and patrol it adequately, to reduce the incoming flow of illegals to a trickle.

2.) Enforce sanctions and jail terms for CEOs and Personnel managers of companies that knowingly hire illegals.

3.) Every time an illegal comes to the attention of law enforcement (traffic ticket, domestic violence call, robbing a 7-11, etc.), deport him.

If any one of those is left oout, the results will be failure. If all three are done, the results will be success. Not immediate, but it doesn't have to be. Eventually the job will get done, and we'll be back to where we would have been if we had obeyed our own laws in the first place.

pegwinn
01-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Of courese not. And we can't stop all bank robberies or catch all bank robbers, either. Does that mean we shouldn't try? I never said that. I said that it isn't logistically possible. I don't agree with catch and release either. But, we simply cannot swoop in and round up twelve million folks en masse.

Absolutely. Actually three things are needed:

1.) Build the fence and patrol it adequately, to reduce the incoming flow of illegals to a trickle.

2.) Enforce sanctions and jail terms for CEOs and Personnel managers of companies that knowingly hire illegals.

3.) Every time an illegal comes to the attention of law enforcement (traffic ticket, domestic violence call, robbing a 7-11, etc.), deport him.

If any one of those is left oout, the results will be failure. If all three are done, the results will be success. Not immediate, but it doesn't have to be. Eventually the job will get done, and we'll be back to where we would have been if we had obeyed our own laws in the first place.

I totally concur with all three of your add-ons. I personally was talking about the bosses (http://the--realist.blogspot.com/2007/02/its-bosses-stupid.html)on my blog ages ago. And I never meant to imply that we should not take action.

waterrescuedude2000
01-28-2008, 02:55 AM

PHOENIX, Arizona (AFP) - One month after Arizona introduced a law cracking down on businesses which employ illegal immigrants, Latino workers are fleeing the state and companies are laying off employees in droves, officials and activists say.

Even though a federal judge ruled last week that there will be no prosecutions under the law until March, it has done little to prevent a phenomenon being dubbed "Hispanic Panic."

Workers are going back to Mexico or to other states, Reza said. He predicted small businesses forced to lay off skilled employees like welders will now pay them in cash, creating a black economy.

bye :fu: (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usimmigrationeconomyarizona;_ylt=AqQy.Tv526wHzucg6 3do1skDW7oF)

:clap: now we need to make this a federal law!! :clap:

Kathianne
01-28-2008, 05:04 AM
:clap: now we need to make this a federal law!! :clap:

But the feds don't want to, quite the opposite. So the states can and should exercise their rights. Their choice to enforce their laws on the employers has always made sense. Many who feel bad for the illegals, will speak to how hard they work and how they do work that Americans won't.

I agree that most are hard working and are here simply to make a better life for themselves and their families. For the most part, their allegiance remains to Mexico which is where much of the money goes from their work. Other than the 'crossing' they are for the main, law abiding. If they can't make money, they will return home.

As for Americans being unwilling to do the jobs, all that one needs to add is 'at the wage the illegals will accept.' That is the crux of the problem, the influx of illegals, beyond the security concerns, is the suppression of salaries in the US. It's not the mean corporations or NAFTA, it's too many workers at the lower end, with an artificial number of just above slave labor provided by the illegals. Without the illegals, our own unskilled workers would be able to fill these jobs, at a higher wage, protecting our own economy.

red states rule
01-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Then we have the views of the liberal media on how new immigration laws are "reported" and how they "hurt" the illegals

Okla. Immigration Law Blamed for Death

Edgar Castorena had diarrhea for 10 days and counting, and the illegal immigrant parents of the 2-month-old didn't know what to do about it.

They were afraid they would be deported under a new Oklahoma law if they took him to a major hospital. By the time they took him to a clinic, it was too late.

A ruptured intestine that might have been treatable instead killed the U.S.-born infant, making him a poster child for opponents of House Bill 1804 months before it was enacted as the Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007.

"The sad part of it was the child didn't have to die if House Bill 1804 didn't ever come around," said Laurie Paul, who runs the clinic where Edgar was finally taken. "It was a total tragedy because the bill was there to create the myths and untruths and the fear."

The law, billed by its backers as the nation's toughest legislation against illegal immigration, took effect Nov. 1. It bars illegal immigrants from obtaining jobs or state assistance and makes it a felony to harbor or transport illegal immigrants.

A final portion of the law goes into effect July 1, requiring private companies to verify the employment eligibility of all new hires.

While it's difficult to characterize which state has the toughest immigration-related law, Oklahoma's goes beyond most because it includes the clause about harboring and transporting illegal immigrants, said Ann Morse, program director for the National Conference of State Legislatures' Immigrant Policy Project.

for the complete article

http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=NzE5MjI5

Pale Rider
01-28-2008, 01:12 PM

And now they're spinning it that this will create a "black market" for labor, and that employers will just pay illegals in cash, under the table. Well, some might, but they'll be risking their business to do it. Get caught and they're fucked, so I doubt it will be as big a problem as they're trying to spin it as.

Little-Acorn
01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Edgar Castorena had diarrhea for 10 days and counting, and the illegal immigrant parents of the 2-month-old didn't know what to do about it.

They were afraid they would be deported under a new Oklahoma law if they took him to a major hospital. By the time they took him to a clinic, it was too late.

A ruptured intestine that might have been treatable instead killed the U.S.-born infant....

So they put their desire to stay illegally in the US, above the needs of their own dying child when they could have saved him?

Sweet parents.

Oh, but it's the _law_ that killed the boy. I keep forgetting.

red states rule
01-29-2008, 06:08 AM
So they put their desire to stay illegally in the US, above the needs of their own dying child when they could have saved him?

Sweet parents.

Oh, but it's the _law_ that killed the boy. I keep forgetting.

That was the logic used by this liberal reporter. This logic makes a figure 8 look like a straight line