PDA

View Full Version : US Shift Seen to Pakistan, Afghanistan

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM
US Shift Seen to Pakistan, Afghanistan

2008-01-27 10:18:25
By ROBERT BURNS AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a shift with profound implications, the Bush administration is attempting to re-energize its terrorism-fighting war efforts in Afghanistan, the original target of a post-Sept. 11 offensive. The U.S. also is refocusing on Pakistan, where a regenerating al-Qaida is posing fresh threats.

There is growing recognition that the United States risks further setbacks, if not deepening conflict or even defeat, in Afghanistan, and that success in that country hinges on stopping Pakistan from descending into disorder.

Privately, some senior U.S. military commanders say Pakistan's tribal areas are at the center of the fight against Islamic extremism; more so than Iraq, or even Afghanistan. These areas border on eastern Afghanistan and provide haven for al-Qaida and Taliban fighters to regroup, rearm and reorganize.

Read entire story here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14350981&feedid=13)

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Here we go... more war. Just what we need. Our military is stretched to the breaking point already Iraq, so sure, lets send more troops into Pakistan and Afghanistan. Lets just send every last man and woman we have in uniform over to the middle east, and invade the whole fucking thing, that way mexico can take us over here with a rag tag handful of bandits, because we don't have a single troop here.

I have one thing to say... if we're going to war monger, and war monger, and war monger over there in the middle east until we've invaded every last bit of it, we're going to have to triple our military budget and start the draft, because presently, our military isn't EVEN big enough for this shit.

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 04:00 PM
No draft, they'll pull troops back if it comes to that or more likely shift them around from Iraq to Afghanistan and back again.

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
No draft, they'll pull troops back if it comes to that or more likely shift them around from Iraq to Afghanistan and back again.

Are you kidding LN... bush pull troops OUT of Iraq? And leave his precious OIL FIELDS UNATTENDED? Not a chance.

We'll need more troops, we'll need a draft, because nobody is going to join knowing their chance of getting sent to fight in the ME is 99% for sure.

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Bush wont be here for much longer. Troop cutbacks are expected anyway, the surge wasn't supposed to be long term.

nobody is going join knowing their chance of getting sent to fight in the ME is 99% for sure.
True, tho I guess that might be a good thing if they raise the pay ect. to try and get recruits for those few who do join.

5stringJeff
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Just drop a few A-bombs.

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah geniocide again will look nice on our record esspecial against people we aren't at war with. the fall out could reach Israel, and gulf allies.

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Bush wont be here for much longer. Troop cutbacks are expected anyway, the surge wasn't supposed to be long term.

True, tho I guess that might be a good thing if they raise the pay ect. to try and get recruits for those few who do join.

Bush being gone is one of the bright points I look forward to. I truly hate the sons a bitch. He's an open border, new world order globalist just like his old man, and I'm horribly sorry I ever voted for the ass wad.

Yes, I think we should triple our military budget, and in that give our troops a badly needed raise.

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Just drop a few A-bombs.

Now THAT I can agree with. I've thought from the beginning that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq, but since we're there, playing patty cake with these blood thirsty, cold blooded killers is the WRONG strategy. We need REALLY fuck some shit up over there and be done with it, or get the hell out.

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I've thought from the beginning that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq
Bull

Sir Evil
01-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Here we go... more war. Just what we need. Our military is stretched to the breaking point already Iraq, so sure, lets send more troops into Pakistan and Afghanistan. Lets just send every last man and woman we have in uniform over to the middle east, and invade the whole fucking thing, that way mexico can take us over here with a rag tag handful of bandits, because we don't have a single troop here.

I have one thing to say... if we're going to war monger, and war monger, and war monger over there in the middle east until we've invaded every last bit of it, we're going to have to triple our military budget and start the draft, because presently, our military isn't EVEN big enough for this shit.

Must be all that oil...:rolleyes:

Pale Rider
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Bull
No bull.

Must be all that oil...:rolleyes:
You know it is.

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Do I have to actually work digging up old posts of yours in support of the war and getting that evil Saddam harboring al quedi and wmds.

Sir Evil
01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
No bull.

You know it is.

Yeah, ok there liberal rider, now we are in there for the oil too? :laugh2:

Pale Rider
01-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Do I have to actually work digging up old posts of yours in support of the war and getting that evil Saddam harboring al quedi and wmds.

Yup. Be my guest. But I can tell you you're going to find posts saying, "I don't believe we should have gone into Iraq."

Pale Rider
01-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, ok there liberal rider, now we are in there for the oil too? :laugh2:

The bush administration has said on more than one occassion, and I have posted those comments here on the board, that the reason we will never leave Iraq is because it has the second largest oil reserves in the world, and we must stay there to protect them... sorry there... sir liberal... the facts are the facts.

Sir Evil
01-30-2008, 08:26 AM
The bush administration has said on more than one occassion, and I have posted those comments here on the board, that the reason we will never leave Iraq is because it has the second largest oil reserves in the world, and we must stay there to protect them... sorry there... sir liberal... the facts are the facts.

Protecting oil & going to war for oil are two different things. So far there has been more money spent on this war than the richest oil contracts in history.

Now Bush has stated that we will never leave Iraq? Amazing! With some wisdom comes with age, unfortunately for you it appears mild retardation is whats coming. :rolleyes:

Gaffer
01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
As I said before, we are not in iraq for the oil but because of the oil. Protecting the oil and the flow of oil is of major importance to the war effort and our way of life. without the oil you would not be on the computer spouting about iraq and oil.

Sir Evil
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Hey Pole Rider, so what is it, Bush declared that we are never leaving Iraq because of oil or what? I would of liked to of seen the facts on this one or are you just quoting the facts to your liking?

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Afghanistan isn't just Afghanistan. It seems we are doing what we have to do, 'ally' or not:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080131/ts_nm/pakistan_qaeda_dc

U.S. missile strike in Pakistan hit al Qaeda nest

Thu Jan 31, 6:20 AM ET

A suspected U.S. missile strike that killed up to 13 foreign militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan region this week had targeted second or third tier al Qaeda leaders, according to residents in the tribal area.

Initial reports said 10 people were killed in the attack on Monday on a house in Torkhali village near the town of Mir Ali.

An intelligence official, however, told Reuters on Thursday that based on information gleaned from tribal contacts there were seven Arabs and six Central Asians killed.

He said the attack was believed to have been carried out by a pilotless U.S. Predator aircraft flown across the nearby border with Afghanistan.

"The missile appeared to have been fired by a drone," the intelligence official said.

The Pakistani authorities have not confirmed the attack, and the Pentagon has denied taking any action, but the Defense Department does not speak for the Central Intelligence Agency, which operates Predators that the tribesmen say carried out the attack late on Monday.

Villagers saw two drones flying over the area before the attack. They didn't see the missile being fired but one heard a plane's engine before the explosion.

Intelligence officials said the area is controlled by Islamist militants and too dangerous for security forces to go. After the attack, militants surrounded the area and barred anyone from going near the house.

Ahmed Aziz, a 70-year-old resident, told Reuters that the militants also stopped villagers from attending the funerals, which was a sign that those killed were all foreigners.

"When local people die, they don't stop anyone from attending their funerals," Aziz said.

Tribesmen in the area said a deputy of Abu Laith al Libi, a senior al Qaeda leader, had been staying there and was among the dead, according to the intelligence official.

"The latest information we have from the area is that a second-in-command to al Libi was among those killed," he said.

manu1959
01-31-2008, 01:30 PM
ok .... i said this weeks ago that bush would have all the iraq based troops redeployed to afganistan except for a small force before halloween......

makes you wonder who i know.......:laugh2:

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
ok .... i said this weeks ago that bush would have all the iraq based troops redeployed to afganistan except for a small force before halloween......

makes you wonder who i know.......:laugh2:

You read the milbloggers? I knew too as so many were deploying to highlands. ;)