PDA

View Full Version : Can McCain Make Peace With Conservatives?

red states rule
01-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Will Sen McCain accept the invitation to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference; which is to be held 2 days before the FL primary?

If he does, what will he say to them? If he does not how will that impact the vote in FL?

JOHN FUND ON THE TRAIL

Winging It
John McCain has a golden opportunity to make peace with conservatives. Will he take advantage of it?
January 28, 2008
John McCain has to decide just how comfortable he wants the conservative base of the Republican Party to be with his candidacy. Although he touts his conservative credentials on the campaign trail, it's no secret that Mr. McCain has often sought an arm's-length relationship with many conservatives. Should he lose the Florida primary on Tuesday, it will be in no small part because he didn't do more to seek an accommodation with conservatives.

A good litmus test of how Mr. McCain's relationship with conservatives stands will come at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, which opens Feb. 7, just two days after the Super Tuesday primaries.

Last year's CPAC proved a disaster for Mr. McCain. He upset the organizers by first rejecting their invitation to speak and then trying to rent a room at the same hotel so he could host a reception for the conference's delegates. CPAC officials believed the McCain camp's motivation was to avoid having television cameras recording him "pandering" to the conservative activists while letting him schmooze them one-on-one behind closed doors. The ploy failed because the hotel didn't have a suitable room available for the senator.

CPAC, considered the nerve center of conservative activism, this year is expected to drew more than 6,000 attendees. It will provide Mr. McCain with a fresh chance to build bridges now that he is closer than ever to becoming the GOP front-runner. An invitation has been extended for him to speak; so far his campaign has not made any formal acceptance.

for the complete article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120146652798920519.html?mod=opinion_journal_poli tical_diary

glockmail
01-28-2008, 08:55 AM
No.

red states rule
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
No.

Oh I agree.

McCain might as well offer to be Obama's running mate and end all doubt of him being a liberal

glockmail
01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh I agree.

McCain might as well offer to be Obama's running mate and end all doubt of him being a liberal I like McCain for a lot of reasons but he's a control freak with a short temper- not executive material.

red states rule
01-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I like McCain for a lot of reasons but he's a control freak with a short temper- not executive material.

McCain lost me with amnesity, wanting to close GITMO, and opposing the Bush tax cuts

glockmail
01-28-2008, 09:41 AM
McCain lost me with amnesity, wanting to close GITMO, and opposing the Bush tax cuts

You forgot McCain-Feingold and McCain-Kennedy.

Pale Rider
01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
You forgot McCain-Feingold and McCain-Kennedy.

mccain is a RINO, and I don't think there's anything he can do at this point to save his image among true conservatives.

If you put a plate of shit down in front of somebody and told them to taste it, I'll bet they won't have to taste it twice to know it's shit. Nobody needs a second taste of mccain either. We already know what he is.

And nice to see ya back brother! :beer:

theHawk
01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Well considering that Republicans gave very little support to the true conservatives like Hunter, Trancredo, and Thompson, why are any of you suprised about libs like McCain and Romney at frontrunner status?

Pale Rider
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Well considering that Republicans gave very little support to the true conservatives like Hunter, Trancredo, and Thompson, why are any of you suprised about libs like McCain and Romney at frontrunner status?

And that was my point in another thread Hawk. We DID have several good conservatives, and not enough people supported them. That's why I think the Republican party just might need another good ass kickin' in November before it straightens itself out.

glockmail
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
It looks like BHO may be the one doing the kickin'.

actsnoblemartin
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I concur

No.

Psychoblues
01-29-2008, 01:38 AM
The problem is whether the conservatives can make peace with McCain. I suspect they will by November of this year. If not? You be the judge of that!!!!!!!!!!!

red states rule
01-29-2008, 06:35 AM
The problem is whether the conservatives can make peace with McCain. I suspect they will by November of this year. If not? You be the judge of that!!!!!!!!!!!

Your track history is not very reliable. Didn't you the one saying Edwards was going to win on the Dem side?

Pale Rider
01-31-2008, 03:32 AM
It looks like BHO may be the one doing the kickin'.

Not any more. And it doesn't look like mccain is gaining any support from true conservatives. As a matter of fact, I think he lost a few tonight. His performance in the CNN debate tonight was pathetic.

Black Lance
01-31-2008, 08:17 PM
McCain, like Hillary, has the disadvantage of being a known quantity. No CPAC appearance can change this, although if I was his campaign adviser I would advise him to be there this year. And to be on his game.

actsnoblemartin
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Me and john have a few things in common: anger problems & friends with liberals.

:laugh2:

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Me and john have a few things in common: anger problems & friends with liberals.

No offense, but I don't think I'd vote for you for President either. :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
none taken kathianne, youre a lovely lady/board poster.

Can i try another tactic that politicians do, bribing you vote

No offense, but I don't think I'd vote for you for President either. :laugh2: