PDA

View Full Version : Taxes

Trinity
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I borrowed this from the "rants and raves" section on craigslist no idea who wrote it. ... pretty much says it all!

I'm posting this more for posterity than anything else, but it does give some perspective on how big ALL politicians and parties have made our government, and the entitlement they feel they have to OUR money. In my view, it really kind of renders the whole "my party is better than yours" argument moot as neither party truly gives a damn about the common citizens elect them. This country could have NEVER gotten into this position without the "contribution" of both parties.

If you think that any individual not in the elite level of government will truly benefit from a particular party being elected, youre either under 30 and still wide-eyed to the world, or delusional - maybe both? The sad truth is that the "government of the people, for the people, by the people" disappeared LONG ago. Once again during this presidential election we will get the same bunch of BS homogenized candidates who create subtle "differences" in their candidacy to have them and / or their party put into office. The only question I have is how much is THIS group (president / congress / house, et al) going to cost us?

A BILLION
I’m not a mathematician, don't know how accurate these figures are, but it's interesting, and something to think about.
The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending
YOUR tax money. A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans. It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans. Interesting number, what does it mean?

Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your home gets $1,329,787.

Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D.C ... HELLO!!! ... Are all your calculators broken??

Tax his land,
Tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.
Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirts,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his booze,
Tax his beers,
If he cries,
Tax his tears.

Tax his bills,
Tax his gas,
Tax his notes,
Tax his cash.

Tax him good and let him know
That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers,
Tax him more,
Tax him until he's good and sore.

Tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.
Put these words upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me to my doom!'

And when he's gone,
We won't relax,
We'll still be after the inheritance TAX!!

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Perm it Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax),
Liquor Tax,
Luxury Tax,
Marriage License Tax,
Medicare Tax,
Property Tax,
Real Estate Tax,
Road Usage Tax (Truckers),
Sales Taxes,
Recreational Vehicle Tax,
School Tax,
Seat License Tax
Service charge taxes,
Social Security Tax,
State Income Tax,
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),
Telephone Federal Excise Tax,
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax,
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax,
Telephone State and Local Tax,
Telephone Usage Charge Tax,
Utility Tax,
Vehicle License Registration Tax,
Vehicle Sales Tax,
Watercraft Registration Tax,
Well Permit Tax,
Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened? Can you spell ‘politicians?
And I still have to 'press 1' for English?

I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100 times

What the heck happened?????

gabosaurus
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Here is the deal:
You pay taxes to make the country operate. There are millions and millions of things that have to be done, and people that need to be paid to do them.
I am sure that the vast majority of people in this country would prefer to pay no taxes at all. Then they would complain why nothing gets done.

Please explain how this country would operate without taxation.

Monkeybone
01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
i don't think it is exactly calling for 'no taxes', just these obscure little ones that they keep adding on and on.

Nukeman
01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Here is the deal:
You pay taxes to make the country operate. There are millions and millions of things that have to be done, and people that need to be paid to do them.
I am sure that the vast majority of people in this country would prefer to pay no taxes at all. Then they would complain why nothing gets done.

Please explain how the government works better by having all these taxes instead of having EVERYONE pay a flat % to keep everything working. You could do away with soooo many government agencies just by consolidating the taxes into a single recieved flat tax....... By eliminating the agencieas you free up more tax dollars and you reduce the amount of tax that needs to be received......

Trigg
01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Here is the deal:

I do not believe Trinity is suggesting getting rid of taxes, since clearly we do need them to pay for schools and infrastructure.

However, she is correct in pointing out that we are over-taxed.

Consider the state gas tax, with gas in most places over $3, the states are making money hand over fist with no thought to the people who are affected by the hight prices. The states could suspend the gas tax, but they arn't doing it.

gabosaurus
01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
OK Nukeman, let's adopt the U.K.'s system of taxation by level of income. If you earn over $125,000 or so, you pay a flat 40 percent of your income as taxes.
Fair?

Monkeybone
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
it probably wouldn't be over 40% if they didn't have the all powerful universal healthcare.

5stringJeff
01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
OK Nukeman, let's adopt the U.K.'s system of taxation by level of income. If you earn over $125,000 or so, you pay a flat 40 percent of your income as taxes.
Fair?

How about, if you earn over $20,000 (the poverty level), you pay 18%. That's much better.

Trinity
01-29-2008, 07:07 AM
I do not believe Trinity is suggesting getting rid of taxes, since clearly we do need them to pay for schools and infrastructure.

However, she is correct in pointing out that we are over-taxed.

Consider the state gas tax, with gas in most places over $3, the states are making money hand over fist with no thought to the people who are affected by the hight prices. The states could suspend the gas tax, but they arn't doing it.

That's funny you mention the gas tax I just happened to look the other day when I was filling up at the gas station the have it broke down for you and currently I am paying $00.46.9 cents per gallon (gallon was $3.09) and they are wanting to raise it another $0.40 cents in the next three years so I would then be paying $00.86.9 per gallon of gas.

red states rule
01-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Here is the deal:

Please explain how these projects make the country operate

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Budget/upload/pork_projects.html

Kathianne
01-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Fair?

I think we had a revolution over their taxing system?

red states rule
01-29-2008, 07:27 AM
I think we had a revolution over their taxing system?

and we may need another one before it is all said and done

Kathianne
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
i don't think it is exactly calling for 'no taxes', just these obscure little ones that they keep adding on and on.

I don't like regressive taxes, which is a big part of the reason I haven't signed onto a flat tax idea. However, imo there should be only 4 tax bills paid- 1. to the fed. 2. to the state 3. to your county or parish 4. to the municipality you reside in.

Nothing added onto phones, cable lines, gas, electricity, etc. No sales taxes. All of these are regressive taxes.

I don't have a problem with assessments or tolls to pay for something like a freeway or water system. There should be 'end of dates' adhered to. Illinois for one is making a fortune collecting tolls for roads long paid for. Seems to me those that can afford them when they were being paid for, got a deal in speed and time saved. Once paid for, should be free to everyone.

pegwinn
01-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Here is the deal:

He wasn't advocating for no taxes. Just fair taxation. There is a difference. Did you know that if we eliminate the income tax, we will still take in the same number of dollars as we did ten years ago? Spending reduction would be a great start.

Please explain how the government works better by having all these taxes instead of having EVERYONE pay a flat % to keep everything working. You could do away with soooo many government agencies just by consolidating the taxes into a single recieved flat tax....... By eliminating the agencieas you free up more tax dollars and you reduce the amount of tax that needs to be received......

Flat Tax is good so long as it is one rate for everyone. The fairtax (HR25) (http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer) is better.

OK Nukeman, let's adopt the U.K.'s system of taxation by level of income. If you earn over $125,000 or so, you pay a flat 40 percent of your income as taxes. Fair?

Up until 1964 the top bracket was 91% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States) here in the good ol USA. Made the Brits look generous. What's your point? Or was that just a way to brag on making 125K? Note the excerpt below from the 91 link.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Income_tax_in_the_United_States&action=edit&section=11)] History of top rates

In 1913 the tax rate was 1% on taxable net income above $3,000 ($4,000 for married couples), less deductions and exemptions. It rose to a rate of 7% on incomes above $500,000.
During World War I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I) the top rate rose to 77%; after the war, the top rate was scaled down to a low of 25%.
During the Great Depression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression) and World War II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II), the top income tax rate rose again. In the Internal Revenue Code of 1939, the top rate was 75%. The top rate reached 94% during the war and remained at 91% until 1964 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964).
In 1964 the top rate was decreased to 70% (1964 Revenue Act), then to 50% in 1981 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981) (Economic Recovery Tax Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Recovery_Tax_Act) or ERTA).
The Tax Reform Act of 1986 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Reform_Act_of_1986) reduced the top rate to 28%, at the same time raising the bottom rate from 11% to 15% (in fact 15% and 28% became the only two tax brackets).
During the 1990s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s) the top rate rose again, standing at 39.6% by the end of the decade.
The top rate was cut to 35% and the bottom rate was cut to 10% by the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Growth_and_Tax_Relief_Reconciliation_Act_ of_2001) (EGTRRA).

manu1959
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Here is the deal:

what year was the irs created....what year was the nation founded.....explain the years in between.....

Mr. P
01-29-2008, 11:25 PM
The 'Fair' tax solves all the problems IMO.

pegwinn
01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
The 'Fair' tax solves all the problems IMO.

OF course it does. But, since it removes power from individual politicians, and makes certain breeds of lobbyists into endangered species...... It will take a huge amount of simultaneous ass chewing by the voting public to get it underway, let alone passed.

5stringJeff
01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
The FairTax creates a huge problem, in that we would have a government bureaucracy sending out monthly rebate checks. So we'd essentially have the entire nation standing in line for their wlefare checks. No thanks. There's got to be a better way to implement a national sales tax.

Mr. P
01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
The FairTax creates a huge problem, in that we would have a government bureaucracy sending out monthly rebate checks. So we'd essentially have the entire nation standing in line for their wlefare checks. No thanks. There's got to be a better way to implement a national sales tax.

Well they could send it out once a year, like now. I see no downside to the "fair" tax only positives.

Said1
01-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Well they could send it out once a year, like now. I see no downside to the "fair" tax only positives.

People who fall under a certain income range get a federal Goods and Services tax rebate every three months . Then a monthly child tax rebate as well. That used to be doled out yearly, but some super Liberal changed it. Works for me, and there's no line up at my mail box!

pegwinn
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM

I know you are a reasonable guy. So, let's see if we can help you out of this dilemma.

First of all, we already have a huge governmanet agency that deals with taxes. It's called the IRS. And we already have a government agency that regularly sends out monthly checks, called the Treasury Department. Elimination of the former would not overly burden the latter. In that case, we win.

The IRS is currently under pressure to increase revenues and so have announced that they will be increasing the number of audits. The obvious goal is to make money and so it is logical to assume they will be taking a harder look at peoples forms.

The Prebate (not rebate) is a check designed to cover the cost of essentials up to the poverty level. It isn't welfare at all. Best of all, you get to keep your entire check.

May I suggest you check out the Fairtax site (http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer)? Please take the time to browse around and read up on it. You could also check out the Fairtax book by Boortz and Linder. It should be in your public library. On Feb 12 there is another book coming out called FairTax: The Truth--Answering the Critics. It can be pre-ordered via Amazon.com. I think there might be an ebook version. If I find it I will place it in a place to link to.

The only way it will ever get passed is for the grass roots to demand it or start voting out the pols.