PDA

View Full Version : Ruling Near on Abu-Jamal jury

Psychoblues
01-29-2008, 04:05 AM
What goes around comes around.

"A U.S. court is weighing race and other issues in death sentence.
By Emilie Lounsberry

Inquirer Staff Writer

In the nearly 26 years since his conviction for the murder of Officer Daniel Faulkner, the international tempest over Mumia Abu-Jamal has fixed primarily on this question: Did he do it, or was he framed by Philadelphia police?
Yet inside the chambers of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Abu-Jamal's innocence or guilt is not the issue. Since May, three judges have been weighing whether to reinstate his death sentence, overturned in 2001. If they do, his last hope will be the U.S. Supreme Court, which hears fewer than 2 percent of all petitions filed each year.

The Third Circuit's decision, expected soon, will be based on knotty constitutional questions relating to the fairness of his 1982 trial in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court and subsequent state appeals:

Were the jury instructions confusing?

Was the trial judge biased in a later hearing?

In addressing the jury, did the prosecutor downplay the likelihood of a capital sentence's ever being carried out?

And - a key contention in Abu-Jamal's appeals - were African Americans purposely excluded from the jury?????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

More: http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080127_Ruling_near_on_Abu-Jamal_jury.html

Tough case. Tough decision. I'm glad that I ain't there. How about you?

Psychoblues
02-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Got any suggestions?

Psychoblues
02-09-2008, 11:52 PM
This is a GREAT conversation on other boards. Is it above the intelligence or interest of this one? Don't forget?!?!?!?!?!? I brought it up!!!!!!! It will come up again!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
02-10-2008, 12:49 AM
What goes around comes around.

"A U.S. court is weighing race and other issues in death sentence.
By Emilie Lounsberry

Inquirer Staff Writer

In the nearly 26 years since his conviction for the murder of Officer Daniel Faulkner, the international tempest over Mumia Abu-Jamal has fixed primarily on this question: Did he do it, or was he framed by Philadelphia police?
Yet inside the chambers of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Abu-Jamal's innocence or guilt is not the issue. Since May, three judges have been weighing whether to reinstate his death sentence, overturned in 2001. If they do, his last hope will be the U.S. Supreme Court, which hears fewer than 2 percent of all petitions filed each year.

The Third Circuit's decision, expected soon, will be based on knotty constitutional questions relating to the fairness of his 1982 trial in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court and subsequent state appeals:

Were the jury instructions confusing?

Was the trial judge biased in a later hearing?

In addressing the jury, did the prosecutor downplay the likelihood of a capital sentence's ever being carried out?

And - a key contention in Abu-Jamal's appeals - were African Americans purposely excluded from the jury?????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

More: http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080127_Ruling_near_on_Abu-Jamal_jury.html

Tough case. Tough decision. I'm glad that I ain't there. How about you?

It was a trial that took place in the Northern part of the country where everything is fair, there isn't anything such as racism or prejudice, and the average intelligence is so very high that anyone on the jury was surely qualified and didn't have any problems with understanding instructions. How could anything have gone wrong?

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Think so?

It was a trial that took place in the Northern part of the country where everything is fair, there isn't anything such as racism or prejudice, and the average intelligence is so very high that anyone on the jury was surely qualified and didn't have any problems with understanding instructions. How could anything have gone wrong?

I doubt it.

5stringJeff
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
He shot and killed a cop. He should get life in prison, no parole, if not the death penalty.

Psychoblues
02-12-2008, 01:02 AM
There are a few here that I think I could shoot and kill and skate like an Olympian. Do you ever feel threatened?