PDA

View Full Version : independents voting in FL Republican Primary??

01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-129electionday,0,6968764,print.story

Just saw this and im stunned. is this true?

In northern Coral Springs, near the Sawgrass Expressway and Coral Ridge Drive, David Nirenberg arrived to vote as an independent. Nevertheless, he said poll workers insisted he choose a party ballot.

"He said to me, 'Are you Democrat or Republican?' I said, 'Neither, I am independent.' He said, 'Well, you have to pick one,''' Nirenberg said.

In Florida, only those who declare a party are allowed to cast a vote in that party's presidential primary.

Nirenberg said he tried to explain to the poll worker that he should not vote on a party ballot because of his "no party affiliation" status.

Nirenberg said a second poll worker was called over who agreed that independents should not use party ballots, but said they had received instructions to the contrary.

"He said, 'Ya know, that is kind of funny, but it was what we were told.' … I was shocked when they told me that." Nirenberg said he went ahead and voted for John McCain.

Little-Acorn
01-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I heard on the radio this morning, that only Republicans will vote in the Republican primary. Floriduh has always been that way, as are many other states. It's nothing new.

It makes sense. They are choosing the nominee for the Repubican party, remember, not for the entire country. Independents, by definition, are people not associated with the Republican party.

Should Democrats vote in the Republican primary? Of course not, and neither should Republicans vote in the Democrat primary.

And neither should Independents. You chose to not be associated with the Republicans. So here's your chance to be not associated with it.

Don't worry, you'll still get to vote for President in Novermber. There, we are choosing for the entire country, which includes you. Not just for the Republican party, which you decided does not include you.

NATO AIR
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Reminds me of a panel John Fund from the WSJ spoke on at the University of Washington last year... how F***** up the election system is in this country, because there are often times so much conflicting information and instructions that even the most able of poll workers are often left dumbfounded.

Independents would certainly help McCain, but I hope this isn't a common thing because it is against the law and that would be unfair to Romney.

Now in Cali, I'm licking my lips in expectation of the independents (who are not allowed in the GOP primary but are in the Dem primary) delivering a blistering beating to Billary.

01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Reminds me of a panel John Fund from the WSJ spoke on at the University of Washington last year... how F***** up the election system is in this country, because there are often times so much conflicting information and instructions that even the most able of poll workers are often left dumbfounded.

Independents would certainly help McCain, but I hope this isn't a common thing because it is against the law and that would be unfair to Romney.

Now in Cali, I'm licking my lips in expectation of the independents (who are not allowed in the GOP primary but are in the Dem primary) delivering a blistering beating to Billary.

yeah i hope this isnt happening. And i doubt McCain is personally responsible for this, but this is very odd behavior and it better be isolated or there will be people all over the country upset with Florida again.

Trigg
01-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Should Democrats vote in the Republican primary? Of course not, and neither should Republicans vote in the Democrat primary.

And neither should Independents. You chose to not be associated with the Republicans. So here's your chance to be not associated with it.

Don't worry, you'll still get to vote for President in Novermber. There, we are choosing for the entire country, which includes you. Not just for the Republican party, which you decided does not include you.

I've never understood having to declaire a party in order to vote. In Indiana you don't have to pick a party. I've voted repubican and democrate, the person I identify with the closest gets my vote no matter the party.

Independents should be able to vote once during the primary that way they would be able to decide whether to vote during the republican or the democrate and we wouldn't have to worry about them voting twice and screwing things up.

It's not about not wanting to be associated with the republicans it about looking at the issues that affect you and voting accordingly. It annoys me when people vote blindly for their party no matter the issues. My grandmother was a "yellow dog democrate", no matter what skunk was running as long as they were dem.

01-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I've never understood having to declaire a party in order to vote. In Indiana you don't have to pick a party. I've voted repubican and democrate, the person I identify with the closest gets my vote no matter the party.

Independents should be able to vote once during the primary that way they would be able to decide whether to vote during the republican or the democrate and we wouldn't have to worry about them voting twice and screwing things up.

It's not about not wanting to be associated with the republicans it about looking at the issues that affect you and voting accordingly. It annoys me when people vote blindly for their party no matter the issues. My grandmother was a "yellow dog democrate", no matter what skunk was running as long as they were dem.

you declare your party in the primary so you can vote for your parties primary. it makes perfect sense.

Abbey Marie
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
you declare your party in the primary so you can vote for your parties primary. it makes perfect sense.

And helps avoid partisan saba-toogey!

Immanuel
01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
I heard on the radio this morning, that only Republicans will vote in the Republican primary. Floriduh has always been that way, as are many other states. It's nothing new.

It makes sense. They are choosing the nominee for the Repubican party, remember, not for the entire country. Independents, by definition, are people not associated with the Republican party.

I live in Florida and I am registered NPA.

The problem here is that there is one Amendment, "Amendment 1" on the ballot which is a doubling of the homeowner's exemption on property taxes. Independents should not be able to vote on party tickets but they should be allowed to vote for any amendments or tax referendums.

I am not voting even on the amendment this time around.

This independent is not supporting Whiner McCain!

Immie

Kathianne
01-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I live in Florida and I am registered NPA.

The problem here is that there is one Amendment, "Amendment 1" on the ballot which is a doubling of the homeowner's exemption on property taxes. Independents should not be able to vote on party tickets but they should be allowed to vote for any amendments or tax referendums.

I am not voting even on the amendment this time around.

This independent is not supporting Whiner McCain!

Immie

I heard that you can vote on the referendum, but independents won't be allowed a presidential primary vote, that's the only difference.

Immanuel
01-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I heard that you can vote on the referendum, but independents won't be allowed a presidential primary vote, that's the only difference.

That is the way it is supposed to be, but then according to the OP, they were requiring independents to use one ballot or the other. So, I suppose that I could have gone and voted on the Democratic Ballot for "None of the above"? Come to think of it, I could have done the same for the Republican ballot too!

I don't think anyone of these people should be allowed anywhere near Washington, let alone the White House. Then again, I feel that anyone who wants the job should automatically be disqualified. :)

Immie

Trigg
01-30-2008, 01:25 PM

In Indiana you don't have to declaire a party. All these primaries won't matter a hoot anyway since we don't get to vote until May and by then the parties will have already picked their man/woman.

01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
In Indiana you don't have to declaire a party. All these primaries won't matter a hoot anyway since we don't get to vote until May and by then the parties will have already picked their man/woman.

if you believe that, then yeah the nominee will be picked. the fact is if people in states further on are pissed off with whats happened, then they can do things.

Trigg
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
if you believe that, then yeah the nominee will be picked. the fact is if people in states further on are pissed off with whats happened, then they can do things.

We're already down to 2 on the dem side, on the republican side there are only Romney and McCain left. After super Tuesday will there be any doubt who gets the nod???

I'm holding out for Romney and if he gets to May I will certainly vote for him.

Maybe I'm just depressed with McCain winning FL.

01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
We're already down to 2 on the dem side, on the republican side there are only Romney and McCain left. After super Tuesday will there be any doubt who gets the nod???

I'm holding out for Romney and if he gets to May I will certainly vote for him.

Maybe I'm just depressed with McCain winning FL.

Dont get depressed. If anything, get angry! its more productive. At least according to a terminator:-D

There are other things we can do. For one, We need to focus on getting conservatives in Congress to check the President regardless who it is.

We need to support local conservatives. We need to get more involved locally. All politics is local. If you can persuade people locally you can persuade everything nationally.

We can also focus on the non-government things we can do. Remember the power of conservatism is the people. And the people can change things in the culture. We can change things in our lives and the lives of others. We can persuade people to the power of freedom and liberty and the need for smaller government.

Don't lose hope. Fight more!