PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Ideas?

nevadamedic
01-30-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a Motorola Razor and im on AT&T. I hate it. It drops calls, cuts out and fails to work 95% of the time. I want to get a new phone but I can't decide what to get.

I am considering the Apple IPhone, Samsung Blackjack II, Blackberry Pearl, AT&T Tilt are among the few im looking at?

I want to be able to use it as an MP3 player and be able to load songs from my computer and use them as ringtones rather then the 10-15 second clips you can download for $3.00 a pop. Also the reception quality and dropped call rate has to be awesome.

The only drawback to the Apple IPhone that I see is that it doesn't have a keypad for dialing, it is all touch screen so it can go bad easily.

I think I like the Blackberry Pearl the best out of all of them. The only thing I can't tell or find anywhere is if it takes a Memory Card(Micro SD) like the Razor's, Treo and the Tilt.

Any answers, ideas or reccomendations?

Mr. P
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Donno how old your phone is but could it be one of these? I read somewhere there were 800,000 recalled.

Cell Phones News, posted on Friday, March 10, 2006

razr,recall,cingular,tmobileThough only temporarily, T-Mobile and Cingular Wireless have pulled the RAZR V3 from sales channels. According to T-Mobile, there was a component issue with a limited number of GSM RAZR handsets purchased by the carriers after February 1st. Affected handsets are dropping calls and then having the screen go white and reboot, if you are one suffering from this problem you are urged to contact your carrier to assist an exchange.

http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/news/razr-recall-affects-t-mobile-and-cingular.aspx

Hagbard Celine
01-30-2008, 10:15 AM
My girlfriend has a Blackberry Pearl and she absolutely loves. She's had it a little under a year now and has had zero complaints that I know of. I recommend getting the rubber jacket to go over it if you get one otherwise you'll scratch it all up. She gets great Internet service on it and it worked great in Europe when we went last May.

nevadamedic
01-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Donno how old your phone is but could it be one of these? I read somewhere there were 800,000 recalled.

http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/news/razr-recall-affects-t-mobile-and-cingular.aspx

It's the V3 but it's only 60 days old. Thanks for the infor though. Maube it could be possibly recalled but I don't know.

glockmail
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Its not the phone but the service. I've been on Verizon for 5 years now, and I get full bars when my friends on ATT get 2 or less. I've been through three phones with them, and every time I tell them that reception is my #1 issue. All three times the sales person directed me without hesitation to the Motorolas. I have a RazrMax now, and the reception is good, but not as good as the one I had before, which was an E815. But I still get full bars when my wife, also on Verizon but with a Nokia, gets 2.

nevadamedic
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
My girlfriend has a Blackberry Pearl and she absolutely loves. She's had it a little under a year now and has had zero complaints that I know of. I recommend getting the rubber jacket to go over it if you get one otherwise you'll scratch it all up. She gets great Internet service on it and it worked great in Europe when we went last May.

Thanks! Does it do MP3 music? Does it have a Micro SD card slot or other memory card slot like most new phone's have?

dan
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd say steer clear of the IPhone for now. The price is definitely going to drop in price, probably around next Christmas, and they're still working all of the bugs out of it.

I've had Verizon ever since I've had a cell phone, so about 7 years now, and I've had no complaints with their service. The customer service store by me, though? Horrendous. That could just be that one place, though. I went to an independent dealer and they solved in ten minutes a problem that the official store took two hours to not solve.

Mr. P
01-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd say steer clear of the IPhone for now. The price is definitely going to drop in price, probably around next Christmas, and they're still working all of the bugs out of it.

I've had Verizon ever since I've had a cell phone, so about 7 years now, and I've had no complaints with their service. The customer service store by me, though? Horrendous. That could just be that one place, though. I went to an independent dealer and they solved in ten minutes a problem that the official store took two hours to not solve.

Just my opinion but I think Verizon is the best in Ga. maybe even the southeast.

dan
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Just my opinion but I think Verizon is the best in Ga. maybe even the southeast.

Definitely. There's one very small spot on my drive home from work where I lose a signal, but it's just that one tiny spot, and their prices are reasonable, and aside from that one place (Verizon in Aiken, SC, behind the Applebee's BOOOOOO!!!! I heard their windows look nicer with eggs on them), I've always had good luck with their hardware, too.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2008, 03:04 PM
We swiched from Cingular to Verizon, and I seem to get more coverage now.
No dropped calls from either service, though.

chesswarsnow
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But if you want a phone, yeah you can buy a phone and make calls.
2. But if you want a computer too.
3. THEN GET THIS!:http://www.mwg.com/xda-flame.aspx
4. Its graphics are fantastic, and what you can load is unlimited.
5. Also it can be made into a 42gb hand held computer phone.
6. Sweet!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

manu1959
01-31-2008, 11:06 PM
i have a razor and cingular.....love it...works great....

nevadamedic
02-01-2008, 04:17 AM

What kind of bugs does the IPhone have? I am seriously considering the Blackberry Pearl though.

PostmodernProphet
02-01-2008, 05:58 AM
Any answers, ideas or reccomendations?

if only all phones worked on all systems...and the best system in one city might not be the best system in another.....my advice is to go to the nearest Circuit City or BestBuy in your area and look at which cell phones the cell phone sales people are carrying....

my son is at a Best Buy (though not in cell phone dept) and when I was thinking about a Razor he said "don't! people are in every day with service problems on those".....

jackass
02-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I have Verizon and love it. I usually always have signal. I usually just get an inexpensive LG phone and I beat the crap out of them and they take a beating.

nevadamedic
02-02-2008, 04:58 AM
if only all phones worked on all systems...and the best system in one city might not be the best system in another.....my advice is to go to the nearest Circuit City or BestBuy in your area and look at which cell phones the cell phone sales people are carrying....

my son is at a Best Buy (though not in cell phone dept) and when I was thinking about a Razor he said "don't! people are in every day with service problems on those".....

What does your son do at Best Buy? I started with Best Buy as the Mobile Senior went on to Loss Prevention Supervisor then on to managment.

The Razor's do suck. Mine has never worked and everyone who I currently work with who has one have had problems with it.