PDA

View Full Version : McCain's No Threat to the Left

Pale Rider
01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
McCain's No Threat to the Left

By Terence Jeffrey
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

While the liberal establishment may be conflicted over whether it wants Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama as the Democratic presidential nominee, there's no doubt which Republican it favors.

John McCain is the liberal elite's go-to guy in the GOP. They believe he'll be there for them when they need him.

"With a record of working across the aisle to develop sound bipartisan legislation, he would offer a choice to a broader range of Americans than the rest of the Republican field," said the Times. "We have shuddered at McCain's occasional, tactical pander to the right because he has demonstrated that he has the character to stand on principle."

What the Times is saying here is that it does not take McCain's conservative campaign-season rhetoric seriously. No, they're convinced the man on the Straight Talk Express is railroading Republican primary voters.

Long experience has taught the Times to read McCain's sign language. No matter what contortions McCain undergoes to shape this language, its message is reassuringly constant from the left's point of view. It says: I am no threat to the liberal agenda.

Read the rest here... (http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/TerenceJeffrey/2008/01/30/mccains_no_threat_to_the_left)

gabosaurus
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
This article makes some exceptional points. I have read much the same thing among moderate to liberal voters.
If Hillary somehow gets the Dem nomination, many diehard libs will flock to McCain.

Pale Rider
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
This article makes some exceptional points. I have read much the same thing among moderate to liberal voters.
If Hillary somehow gets the Dem nomination, many diehard libs will flock to McCain.

Even though mccain has never taken more than 50% of the vote in any race yet, i.e., more people voted against him than for him in Florida, I don't think "diehard libs will flock" to him. Some dems will vote for him for sure. He's enough of a liberal that they can vote for him because they one, don't want to vote for a black man, and two, they don't want to vote for a woman. But mccain loses the majority conservative vote of his party, so even with those few dem votes, he still can't win the Presidency. Hill will.

Pale Rider
03-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Bump...