PDA

View Full Version : California plant accused of torturing unfit cows

-Cp
01-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Yet one more reason as to why we use the butcher we've been using for years...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Humane Society said on Wednesday a California slaughterhouse was using a range of torture including waterboarding to prod unfit animals into the slaughterhouse so they could be processed into food that may have ultimately ended up in school lunch programs.

The Humane Society displayed a video from its own undercover investigation that it said showed abuse by workers at the Hallmark Meat Packing Co of Chino, California. However, the name of the plant was not visible in the video.

The video showed workers kicking cows, ramming them with forklift blades, applying electric shocks and even using a hose to simulate the feeling of drowning so the animals would revive long enough to pass federal inspection.

Read the rest:
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN3021948220080130

Abbey Marie
01-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Why I don't eat the stuff...

-Cp
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
You don't eat beef?

LiberalNation
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't eat beef. Chicken and pork tho which is prolly the same deal.

Little-Acorn
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Humane Society said on Wednesday a California slaughterhouse was using a range of torture including waterboarding to prod unfit animals into the slaughterhouse so they could be processed into food that may have ultimately ended up in school lunch programs.
We need bigger, more intrusive Central Government to come in and start regulating this industry, far more than they already do. Can't be more than a few thousand slaughterhouses nationwide, that they'd have to monitor day after day. That's certainly worth increasing my taxes for.

Just sending the local fuzz in to this one plant to nail them for Cruelty to Animals, is clearly not enough.

Mr. P
01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Note the date. This has been a long time problem as indicated in the rest of the article. It would be a bit easier to stomach if we had thousands of slaughterhouses in the U.S., but we don't.

February 2001
Faulty practices result in inhumane slaughterhouses
By LANCE GAY
Scripps Howard News Service

Some slaughterhouse operators are violating federal law by failing to properly knock out animals before they are put on assembly lines for processing, surveys by veterinarians and animal-welfare groups say. In one graphic video released by a California group, live and thrashing cows are shown chained upside down on a Washington state meat-processing line after they were supposed to have been rendered unconscious. One prone cow is shown being prodded in the mouth with an electric wand while being held in a chute.

Affidavits by workers claim that from 10 percent to 30 percent of the animals in that plant have been processed while conscious. Meanwhile, a 1996 survey by the U.S. Department of Agriculture showed barely 36 percent of 11 large slaughterhouses nationwide were using "acceptable" slaughter techniques.

Bradley Miller, national director of the Humane Farming Association of San Rafael, Calif., said the video taken a year ago at the giant IBP plant at Wullula, Wash., was the first filmed evidence obtained, in addition to written documentation in other cases, in showing what the group contends is unethical treatment of animals at meat-processing plants nationwide. IBP is the world's largest meat processor.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/irrad/insensibility.cfm

Abbey Marie
01-30-2008, 08:06 PM
You don't eat beef?

Neither beef, pork, veal nor lamb. I do eat some chicken/turkey for the protein now, though I didn't even eat that for many years.

MtnBiker
01-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Neither beef, pork, veal nor lamb. I do eat some chicken/turkey for the protein now, though I didn't even eat that for many years.

How about ostrich or emu?

Yurt
01-31-2008, 12:13 AM

yeah baby

http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/paws/archives/TofurkyBox.jpg

Just bought some last week, still to scared to tried it. Wife and I are trying to get back to our childhood diets of no red meat.

Mr. P
01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
yeah baby

Just bought some last week, still to scared to tried it. Wife and I are trying to get back to our childhood diets of no red meat.

YUK!!!!

actsnoblemartin
01-31-2008, 12:32 AM
tofurkey

are u serious, id rather eat spam

yeah baby

-Cp
01-31-2008, 12:37 AM

That's sad!!!

You NEED to come here for dinner sometime... .really...

actsnoblemartin
01-31-2008, 12:44 AM
oh what ya serving

:popcorn:

That's sad!!!

You NEED to come here for dinner sometime... .really...

Classact
01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Some times I have nightmares about how plants are abused, carrots ripped out by their roots... soybeans that were intended to make baby soybeans being boiled in scalding water when they could have been gently ground into a protien supplement to be added to animal food... the unnatural way cotton trees are killed in their first year of production just causes me pain... baby cotton trees just ripped and shreaded when we can make clothes from oil by products is just plain creulity. Oh, and corn being destroyed to make ethanol, that is just whiskey abuse when we have ANWR that we could poke holes in... Plants have feelings too!

When the waitress asks how I would like my prime rib I answer, just tuck it under your arm to warm it up on the way to the table.