PDA

View Full Version : If Not Romney or McCain Or Paul, Then Who?

Kathianne
01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Perhaps it's the fever or just going stir crazy but after a nap I had a thought. What if the Convention suddenly means something this year? Right now, it's hard to imagine putting the factions together in one place, luckily the Convention is in summer. ;)

What about Gingrich? Thompson, (not likely as he dropped out)? Can you think of any other Republicans that might be good alternatives to what might seem to be inevitable?

glockmail
01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
There's no white horse here Kate. If Romney doesn't come through then McCain gets the Nom, he'll run against Hillary. He'll lose simply because he's too old: a second Bob Dole moment.

5stringJeff
01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
There's no white horse here Kate. If Romney doesn't come through then McCain gets the Nom, he'll run against Hillary. He'll lose simply because he's too old: a second Bob Dole moment.

EXACTLY! The GOP got screwed when we let Bob Dole run because it was "his turn," and we're gonna get screwed this year letting McCain run for that reason.

Pale Rider
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
EXACTLY! The GOP got screwed when we let Bob Dole run because it was "his turn," and we're gonna get screwed this year letting McCain run for that reason.

I just have to post right under you Jeff, so people can get a good look at both our avatars... :salute:

But to answer Kathy's question, I'd even vote for Huckabee in the highly unprobable event that he'd get the nod.

5stringJeff
01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I just have to post right under you Jeff, so people can get a good look at both our avatars... :salute:

But to answer Kathy's question, I'd even vote for Huckabee in the highly unprobable event that he'd get the nod.

Me too. Anyone but McCain.

JohnDoe
01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
so why do all the other candidates really despise Romney? Guilliani giving his support to mccain, and who knows, probably huckabee too...?

Hugh Lincoln
01-30-2008, 10:04 PM
so why do all the other candidates really despise Romney? Guilliani giving his support to mccain, and who knows, probably huckabee too...?

I've heard this gossip but I don't know why.

I'd have to support Romney over McCain, and I am pretty sure Romney over the D (Hillary or Obama). If McCain gets the nomination, it cannot be forgiven. The GOP will have to be punished. So vote D if that happens. Let America have four years of Her Highness or His Blackness, then regroup.

manu1959
01-30-2008, 10:16 PM

he hasn't paid his dues......

Dilloduck
01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
he hasn't paid his dues......

Bingo---the good old boys have made thier call and pitched in with the bucks.

manu1959
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Bingo---the good old boys have made thier call and pitched in with the bucks.

yep.....doesn't mean he won't win though.....as he is spending his own money ...

JohnDoe
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
he hasn't paid his dues......he hasn't had to do the dialing for dollars that the others have had to do because of his OWN money that he is able to put in?

jd

manu1959
01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
he hasn't had to do the dialing for dollars that the others have had to do because of his OWN money that he is able to put in?

jd

true but there are still the gop power brokers.......and interesting things can happen at a convention.....

this could be very entertaining.....

Dilloduck
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
true but there are still the gop power brokers.......and interesting things can happen at a convention.....

So true---this is the part of the election process where voters are fooled into thinking that they are actually selecting a nominee. Well--maybe Floridians ain't gonna buy it this time. :laugh2:

theHawk
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Perhaps it's the fever or just going stir crazy but after a nap I had a thought. What if the Convention suddenly means something this year? Right now, it's hard to imagine putting the factions together in one place, luckily the Convention is in summer. ;)

What about Gingrich? Thompson, (not likely as he dropped out)? Can you think of any other Republicans that might be good alternatives to what might seem to be inevitable?

Wish we could draft Thompson back into the race. :cheers2:

pegwinn
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Can't vote for the Grinch. He had a wench on the side whilst leading the charge against Bill Clinton. What he should have done was stand aside and let someone not cheating on his wife take the hill. Goes to character.

Write Now I am thinking November Write In for RP. Hmmm, there's a whole routine there......

Let's see: Write On.
Or even: Do the Write thing.

Or, best of all ... Wait for it.......

The Vast Write Wing Conspiracy :laugh2:

Romney is JFKERRY lite. Romney leads by committee instead of by example. Those are my reasons. I also agree with the "didn't pay his dues" idea posted above. Plus, he has enough money that the RNC cannot skin him.

manu1959
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Romney is JFKERRY lite. Romney leads by committee instead of by example. Those are my reasons. I also agree with the "didn't pay his dues" idea posted above. Plus, he has enough money that the RNC cannot skin him.

the RNC can and will skin him.....every gop in congress is not as rich a romney.....

JohnDoe
01-30-2008, 11:04 PM

this could be very entertaining.....the Bush family power brokers and PAC money collecters are behind Romney is the word....

SO as you said, we will see....

jd

pegwinn
01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
the RNC can and will skin him.....every gop in congress is not as rich a romney.....

You this is me, over

Didn't copy your last
retrans

me, out

Or, in Civ speak: "HUH?"

JohnDoe
01-30-2008, 11:10 PM
You this is me, over

Didn't copy your last
retrans

me, out

Or, in Civ speak: "HUH?"

hahahahahahaha. that was a kick! lol

i'll wait for manu to respond though, but think he is talking about the RNC vs the GOP and the good ole boys of the party?

jd

manu1959
01-30-2008, 11:28 PM
hahahahahahaha. that was a kick! lol

i'll wait for manu to respond though, but think he is talking about the RNC vs the GOP and the good ole boys of the party?

jd

that was very good....every elected pub in congress does need rnc support......which if they don't do as the rnc says the rnc will pull....so if the rnc says oppose romney they will......romney's money can not overcome back room politics......

01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
he hasn't had to do the dialing for dollars that the others have had to do because of his OWN money that he is able to put in?

jd

not true. he is raising money like everyone else. i got a call from the campaign earlier. i just cantafford it.

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 04:16 AM

Ah! The connection moment. The 'powers that be' have not exerted their potential powers in a long time, that was 'given up' after the Kennedy/Nixon time, however it was decided, not written in stone.

It would be unusual, but it's possible. This has been an unusual year politically already. There is interest, if voter turnout is any indication...:coffee:

glockmail
01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
so why do all the other candidates really despise Romney? Guilliani giving his support to mccain, and who knows, probably huckabee too...? I haven't picked up on that hate chemistry.

Black Lance
01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Know of any dropouts from the Republican race who have endorsed Romney?

Everyone will endorse McCain when they go under, for the simple reason that they want to get the VP nod.

pegwinn
01-31-2008, 09:57 PM
that was very good....every elected pub in congress does need rnc support......which if they don't do as the rnc says the rnc will pull....so if the rnc says oppose romney they will......romney's money can not overcome back room politics......

Roger that. I'm just slow sometimes.