PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley council tells Marines to leave

stephanie
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
the Berkekey KKKcouncil hard at work...

By Doug Oakley
STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 01/30/2008 01:48:16 PM PST

Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 8-1 Tuesday night to tell the Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines, and officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.

In a separate council item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Councilman Gordon Wozniak voted no on both items.

The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December of 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

lots of comments with article..
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_8120433?nclick_check=1

LiberalNation
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Idiots.

82Marine89
01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Of course if I say that it is the Marines and the rest of the military that gives these finokes the right to be assholes, one of the board liberals will say we don't. That their freedom comes from that ever changing, living, breathing document called the Constitution.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2008, 08:22 PM
See what I mean? How do you stand to put your lives on the line for these scum?

82Marine89
01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
See what I mean? How do stand to put your lives on the line for these scum?

I would honestly fight harder for those I disagree with than those I agree with. The moment we lose our right to speak freely we have opened the doors of oppression.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I would honestly fight harder for those I disagree with than those I agree with. The moment we lose our right to speak freely we have opened the doors of oppression.

Why would you "fight harder"? Why would you do less of a job for those who support you? That makes no sense to me.

82Marine89
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Why would you "fight harder"? Why would you do less of a job for those who support you? That makes no sense to me.

When they support me it makes it easier to do my job.

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 06:49 AM
I can't open Stephanie's link, probably found it too late.

I ran across this (http://www.blackfive.net/main/2008/01/is-there-a-way.html#more) though, which notes that they certainly treated Code Pink differently:

Members of the Berkeley City Council showed their opposition to a Marine Corps recruiting office in Downtown Berkeley last night.

Council members supported the two resolutions-one supporting anti-war protests and the other criticizing military recruitment practices-citing opposition to the war in Iraq, deceptive recruitment practices and the right to protest.

“By taking a stand against recruitment we are protecting the health and safety of our youth,” said PhoeBe sorgen, a member of the Berkeley Peace and Justice Commission. “I see the protest as taking a proud and courageous stand.”

Code Pink, a national anti-war grassroots organization, will be granted a parking spot for their regular Wednesday afternoon protests and will not need to apply for a sound permit for the next six months, under one resolution.

The other resolution more directly criticizes the presence of the center in Berkeley. The city manager was directed to send a letter to the U.S. Marine Corps saying they are “uninvited and unwelcome intruders” in the city.

In addition, the city attorney has been directed to investigate whether the city’s anti-discrimination laws can be enforced at the center, based on the military’s consideration of sexual orientation in hiring.

Marine recruiters did not return calls for comment yesterda

...Here is what my plan of action would be...

First, the US Marines would get a new Urban Warfare Training Center, the entire city of Berkeley, complete with role playing civilians, insurgents (codenamed dirtbags or hippies) and a new bombing range, codenamed "UC Berkeley" in order to practice getting JDAMs on target in an urban environment.

But maybe that would be asking too much, but I know what wouldn't: cutting off ALL federal funds for everything from FAFSA and Pell Grants to highway money and any form of public assistance.

My reasoning is that you don't get to have your cake and then spit on the baker who makes it possible for you to enjoy it.

I hope never to see an invasion of our country, but if the Islamofascists decide that they want to invade, enact Sharia Law, and start beheading us Infidels, I hope they start in Berkeley....

Immanuel
01-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Idiots.

I'm sorry, but knowing your point of view on many things, I have to ask this question. Who are you calling the idiots? A) The Marines B) The Berkeley City Council or C) Code Pink.

Since I highly doubt the answer is C and I HOPE your answer is not A, do I choose B?

I honestly can't believe the city council would do this and especially with an 8-1 vote. It is so un-American. Well, with that last sentence, I revise my first sentence, I can believe the Berkeley City Council would do this.

Amen and God Bless ya!

Immie

LiberalNation
01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
B) the berkeley city council. It was a stupid and pretty petty thing to do. It goes against freedom of choice. If someone wants to join the marines that is their choice and that city shouldn't interfere by making it more difficult.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry, but knowing your point of view on many things, I have to ask this question. Who are you calling the idiots? A) The Marines B) The Berkeley City Council or C) Code Pink.

Since I highly doubt the answer is C and I HOPE your answer is not A, do I choose B?

I honestly can't believe the city council would do this and especially with an 8-1 vote. It is so un-American. Well, with that last sentence, I revise my first sentence, I can believe the Berkeley City Council would do this.

Amen and God Bless ya!

Immie

Despite her name, LibN isn't as lib as you might think. IMO, she tends more towards libertarian views, and enjoys stirring the pot. Right, Lib?

LiberalNation
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Well I do enjoy stirrin the pot..........

as for where I am politically, I don't know, people label me lots of different things. I'm whatever the board of the moment thinks.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Well I do enjoy stirrin the pot..........

as for where I am politically, I don't know, people label me lots of different things. I'm whatever the board of the moment thinks.

Don't let others define you. That's Feminism 101. :salute:

Classact
01-31-2008, 09:29 AM
B) the berkeley city council. It was a stupid and pretty petty thing to do. It goes against freedom of choice. If someone wants to join the marines that is their choice and that city shouldn't interfere by making it more difficult.You are applying logic and common sense which are traits of conservatism indicating there is hope for you! Just kidding, when I was a teen and early twenties I was probably more liberal than you... Anyone not liberal in their youth should consider that they watch way more news than the opposite sex...

With your ability to separate yourself from a liberal position I would suggest a metamorphosis has began in your life... welcome to the real world.

theHawk
01-31-2008, 10:17 AM
My question is why is a government, even if its a local one, voting about war-protests? What business does government on any level have condoning or condemning matters that aren't even in their district? This is a case of individual politcians abusing their power, all just for putting on partisan political theatre.

Nukeman
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
You are applying logic and common sense which are traits of conservatism indicating there is hope for you! Just kidding, when I was a teen and early twenties I was probably more liberal than you... Anyone not liberal in their youth should consider that they watch way more news than the opposite sex...
With your ability to separate yourself from a liberal position I would suggest a metamorphosis has began in your life... welcome to the real world.

Winston Churchill had a great quote

"If your not a liberal in your 20's you have no heart. If your not a conservative in your 40's you have no brain."

I have always loved this quote. I feel it is very true and appropriate..

Immanuel
01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
B) the berkeley city council. It was a stupid and pretty petty thing to do. It goes against freedom of choice. If someone wants to join the marines that is their choice and that city shouldn't interfere by making it more difficult.

I knew what your answer would be! I was just yanking your chain a bit trying to get you to admit it. :D

Immie

Black Lance
01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Winston Churchill had a great quote

"If your not a liberal in your 20's you have no heart. If your not a conservative in your 40's you have no brain."

I have always loved this quote. I feel it is very true and appropriate..

Bah-hum! "Liberalism" in Churchill's time (progressive movement) meant something very different than what the term means today (communism lite).

Given the policy agenda of the left, being a young Republic doesn't make you heartless, it just makes you ahead of the curve!

Kathianne
02-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Good for Jim DeMint:

http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=d278a270-f441-9a2a-0c52-8d5616ec70e3

DeMint to Berkeley: Support Our Marines or Lose Federal Funds

January 31st, 2008 - Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina) released the following statement in response to the decision by the City Council of Berkeley, California to evict the U.S. Marine Corps Recruiting Station from the city.

“This is a slap in the face to all brave service men and women and their families. The First Amendment gives the City of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money. If the city can’t show respect for the Marines that have fought, bled and died for their freedom, Berkeley should not be receiving special taxpayer funded handouts. I am currently drafting legislation to ensure that American taxpayers aren’t forced to pay for this insult by rescinding all of the earmarks for Berkeley in the Omnibus Appropriations bill, and to transfer the funds to the Marine Corps.”

According to news reports:

The [Berkeley] City Council has voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests." The measure passed this week by a vote of 8-1. The council also voted to explore enforcing a city anti-discrimination law, focusing on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. In a separate item, the council voted, also 8-1, to give protest group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week.

stephanie
02-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Good for Jim DeMint:

http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=d278a270-f441-9a2a-0c52-8d5616ec70e3

I was just going to post that...Michelle has that from DeMint, and a letter from the American Legion also..http://michellemalkin.com/2008/01/31/berkeley-backlash-building-american-legion-sen-demint-weigh-in/

I agree...and when they have a disaster of any sort....they should call on the Code Pinkos for help...

actsnoblemartin
02-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Let those fuckers know what you think

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Berkeley+City+Council&btnG=Google+Search

QUOTE=stephanie;193902]the Berkekey KKKcouncil hard at work...

By Doug Oakley
STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 01/30/2008 01:48:16 PM PST

Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 8-1 Tuesday night to tell the Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines, and officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.

In a separate council item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Councilman Gordon Wozniak voted no on both items.

The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December of 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

lots of comments with article..
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_8120433?nclick_check=1[/QUOTE]

Immanuel
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know anything about him but right now, I think I will vote for Jim DeMint for President, 2008.

Immie

Abbey Marie
02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't know anything about him but right now, I think I will vote for Jim DeMint for President, 2008.

Immie

You and me both, Immie.