PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Could Vote For This Guy!

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Well I don't know much about him, yet. Ran across the link to this and thought I'd share some of what I like:

http://corker.senate.gov/News/record.cfm?id=291515

Corker: Economic Stimulus Bill is "Nothing But a Political Stimulus"
from the Office of Senator Bob Corker

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Bob Corker, a member of the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee, delivered floor remarks today on the “political stimulus package” being considered in the Senate.

“What I see in this package is nothing but a political stimulus,” said Corker. “It's a stimulus to make the American people think that we, as a body, are doing something to actually cause the economy to be stronger.

“Not to be misunderstood – I'm a strong believer in low taxes and creating a structure in this country that people can count on to move ahead and to make investments, but with that has to be the reality that spending has to be under control.

“…We in this body will never deal in my generation with paying for the $150 billion. But the next generation might, I doubt it. It would actually be $329 billion in 20 years at present rate. And the generation after that, $722 billion.

“I would just ask that my colleagues consider this…That, number one, we call this package what it is: a political stimulus package. That we begin, today, dealing in a bipartisan way with the tough decisions that we have to make. And if there are anomalies out there that we need to deal with, where people truly are being hurt, let's deal with it. That we adopt the … Conrad-Gregg bill to truly deal with long-term entitlements, and that we ask the administration when they bring their budget forth on February 4, to bring forth a real budget that lays out to the American people the deficits that we will have to deal with in the future.

“This country has been built on sacrifice. It's been built on us, on generations before us, making tough decisions and making sacrifice. And I hope that this body in a bipartisan way will do the same.”

The following are Corker’s full remarks:

....The whole thing is worth reading

Classact
01-31-2008, 07:07 AM
Well I don't know much about him, yet. Ran across the link to this and thought I'd share some of what I like:

The whole thing is worth readingI watched that live on CSPAN2 yesterday and stood up and applauded when he completed his presentation.

bullypulpit
01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

The whole thing is worth reading

A Republican who makes sense...That's refreshing. Unfortunately, the GOP leadership is pandering to the irrational and not the rational. Look who they've got left as presidential candidates...Mitt Romney and John McCain, both of whom have flip-flopped on so many different issues so, many times they make someone suffering from MPD appear stable. Ron Paul remains in the shadows, and while he appears to speak sensibly on some issues, like the economy and the Iraq war, he's too far to the right on everything else.

Classact
01-31-2008, 08:08 AM
A Republican who makes sense...That's refreshing. Unfortunately, the GOP leadership is pandering to the irrational and not the rational. Look who they've got left as presidential candidates...Mitt Romney and John McCain, both of whom have flip-flopped on so many different issues so, many times they make someone suffering from MPD appear stable. Ron Paul remains in the shadows, and while he appears to speak sensibly on some issues, like the economy and the Iraq war, he's too far to the right on everything else.Please spell out clearly how Obama defines Change, exactly what is the change he offers... what programs? How will he make Republicans rub up against his leg like a cat? And, Hillary, please explain the exact differences in the way she will handle Iraq War different than President Bush?

glockmail
01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
A Republican who makes sense...That's refreshing. Unfortunately, the GOP leadership is pandering to the irrational and not the rational. Look who they've got left as presidential candidates...Mitt Romney and John McCain, both of whom have flip-flopped on so many different issues so, many times they make someone suffering from MPD appear stable. Ron Paul remains in the shadows, and while he appears to speak sensibly on some issues, like the economy and the Iraq war, he's too far to the right on everything else.
What would be refreshing is for a Democrat politician to speak honestly. However if they did taht no one would vote for them.