PDA

View Full Version : Across the Universe

jackass
01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Plot:
A dock worker Jude travels to America in the 1960s to find his estranged father. There he falls in love with sheltered American teenager Lucy. When her brother Max is drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, they become involved in peace activism. The film title and main characters are named after various songs by The Beatles.

This movie was really good. I happen to be a big Beatles fan so that didnt hurt. It was a really interesting concept. They named the characters after Beatles songs and used Beatle song to tell psrt of the story. Very trippy at points. I would give this 4 out of 5 stars. A definate rental.

diuretic
01-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Beatles fan here too - definitely will watch out for this one.

Max - Silver Hammer no doubt?

That could be a good parlour game....

dan
02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I Netflix'd this the other day. I really like the idea behind it, but I guess I just didn't connect the fact that it was, indeed, a musical. I can't get into people singing things instead of just saying them, it seems stupid and pointless, even if the songs are good. Beyond that, I feel kind of queer watching that sort of thing anyway.

On top of that, I think the whole conceit of the characters' names referencing songs was pretty lame. It would've been okay if they hadn't been so blatant about it. Someone seriously says, at one point, to Maxwell: "at least you didn't bash them in the head with a silver hammer!" The character should've just turned to the camera and said "Like the song, remember?"

That said, I'm in love with Evan Rachel Wood, so the 2-second glimpse of one of her nipples was enough to make up for the rest of the movie.

jackass
02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
I cant believe it. I loved the movie and I usually hate musicals for just the same reason you do. For some reason this one seemed different to me. Maybe it was that I grew up listening to the Beatles and am still a huge fan. The music just seemed to "fit" in this movie, where as in other musicals its did seem stupid.

dan
02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I cant believe it. I loved the movie and I usually hate musicals for just the same reason you do. For some reason this one seemed different to me. Maybe it was that I grew up listening to the Beatles and am still a huge fan. The music just seemed to "fit" in this movie, where as in other musicals its did seem stupid.

I can believe it. Once I saw that you liked it, I was pretty certain I wouldn't! :D

Yeah, I dunno, I just couldn't get into it. I think maybe it's the fact that it's other people singing Beatles songs. Like the black chick that, I guess, was supposed to be like Janis Joplin. Their songs shouldn't be sung like that.

It was cool to look at. I especially liked Uncle Sam singing "I Want You", but other than that, I didn't really like it.

But, seriously, that Evan Rachel Wood, huh? She needs to dump that freak and get wit dis!

cyndalou28
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
I was surprised that i liked this movie. I think the songs were pretty catchy, catchy enough that i bought the soundtrack even though the original songs are better of course. The concept was interesting too

jackass
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I was surprised that i liked this movie. I think the songs were pretty catchy, catchy enough that i bought the soundtrack even though the original songs are better of course. The concept was interesting too

At least 2 people in this thread have some taste!! :laugh2: