PDA

View Full Version : If McCain gets the nomination

gabosaurus
01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Will there be a new round of "Swift boating" against him? I've been wondering about this.

Gaffer
01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Not in the same sense. The libs can't go after his military record. And it would have to be libs that swift boat him.

theHawk
01-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Will there be a new round of "Swift boating" against him? I've been wondering about this.

It seems to be going on already. I just saw a commerical that shows a picture of Hillary, and the voiceover is talking about troubling facts like "this person was considered a running mate for Kerry", then as Hillary slides out of the way McCain is there--"Suprisingly Liberal" is the caption. :laugh2:

Kathianne
01-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Not in the same sense. The libs can't go after his military record. And it would have to be libs that swift boat him.

Actually there was a bit of a dust up today, but from what I can tell the players are recognizing not only would it be unfair to McCain, it would be intellectually dishonest. I'm not going to repeat or even link to the discussion. I'm hoping it just stops. There's enough earned hostility, without going bad. Kerry deserved the outing, McCain's service doesn't.

Pale Rider
01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Actually there was a bit of a dust up today, but from what I can tell the players are recognizing not only would it be unfair to McCain, it would be intellectually dishonest. I'm not going to repeat or even link to the discussion. I'm hoping it just stops. There's enough earned hostility, without going bad. Kerry deserved the outing, McCain's service doesn't.

I agree his military record should be left alone. But his social record needs a good dose of swift boating if you ask me.

gabosaurus
02-01-2008, 11:52 AM
McCain's war record is not above reproach. Neither is his behavior as a POW.
As the swift boaters proved in 2004, it is pretty easy to take a little of nothing and turn it into a lot of something.

Kathianne
02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
As the swift boaters proved in 2004, it is pretty easy to take a little of nothing and turn it into a lot of something.

Last I heard, we're still waiting for Kerry to take up that million dollar offer, but that wasn't 'nothing' or it would have been dealt with.

Joe Steel
02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
If McCain gets the nomination, he'll have to deal with his bribery problem.

In John McCain's America, any politician who accepts a large contribution or gift from a donor, and then takes steps consistent with the donor's interests — even though there is no legal quid pro quo — is corrupt. Well, then, by his own standard, McCain is corrupt.

McCain was one of the so-called "Keating Five" senators. He was investigated by the Senate Select Committee on Ethics in 1991 regarding the acceptance of favors from Lincoln Savings & Loan Association (Lincoln) and its owner, Charles H. Keating, Jr. Simply put, the issue was whether McCain and the other senators used their official positions to attempt to pressure Federal Home Loan Bank Board officials to go easy on the troubled institution. Eventually Lincoln went bust, costing depositors and taxpayers millions.

Mr. Keating, his associates, and his friends contributed $56,000 for Senator McCain's two House races in 1982 and 1984, and $54,000 for his 1986 Senate race. Mr. Keating also provided his corporate plane and/or arranged for payment for the use of commercial or private aircraft on several occasions for travel by Senator McCain and his family...

Remember the Keating Five? (http://www.nationalreview.com/contributors/levin040501.shtml)

Mr. P
02-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Well talk about a little of nothing, the liberal democrats convinced many that a pair of womens panties on someones head is torture. So I wouldn't bet they'd not try to convince folks that things that happen while a POW are treasonous or conduct unbecoming or lack of character or whatever the hell they can dream up. I'd hope they have more sense but........

02-01-2008, 01:24 PM

you mean will people tell the truth about his record? yeah probably.