PDA

View Full Version : New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

stephanie
02-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Ah yes...first they came after the smokers and..............:cheers2:

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese
FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index. (2 pages)

read the bill at..
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html

MtnBiker
02-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Hostess - "Welcome to Joe's Diner. Please stand on the scale before we seat you."

Kathianne
02-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Hostess - "Welcome to Joe's Diner. Please stand on the scale before we seat you."

Hey if they can do it to smokers, certainly the obese are fair game. Then there are the ugly people. The old. Those that wear cowboy boots. The bald. Seriously.

Mr. P
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
This brings to mind that line from the movie "Network"..."I'm mad as hell and I'm NOT going to take it anymore!"

Why is it these "public servants" think it's their job to "take care" of us instead of "representing" us"?

Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzz

Kathianne
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
This brings to mind that line from the movie "Network"..."I'm mad as hell and I'm NOT going to take it anymore!"

Why is it these "public servants" think it's their job to "take care" of us instead of "representing" us"?

Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzz

Hey, my response has been to stop going to restaurants and such. My cooking is getting some updating and my kids eat stuff they didn't years ago. As alluded to earlier, I'm taking the savings from going out and buying myself some new stuff! :coffee: I've had friends over 2 since 1/1, and I've spent the past 10 days sick. ;)

Mr. P
02-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey, my response has been to stop going to restaurants and such. My cooking is getting some updating and my kids eat stuff they didn't years ago. As alluded to earlier, I'm taking the savings from going out and buying myself some new stuff! :coffee: I've had friends over 2 since 1/1, and I've spent the past 10 days sick. ;)

Yeah, the older I get the more I stay home too...sick or not. :poke: :lol:

bullypulpit
02-02-2008, 06:58 AM

FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index. (2 pages)

read the bill at..

It would be a real windfall for the "all-you-can-eat" Chinese resaurants! :laugh2:

Missileman
02-02-2008, 07:46 AM

read the bill at..

Inbred, mongoloid brainchild would be more accurate. That these three retards can even spell "bill" is a tribute to Mississippi's special-education system.

bullypulpit
02-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Inbred, mongoloid brainchild would be more accurate. That these three retards can even spell "bill" is a tribute to Mississippi's special-education system.

And two of 'em are Republicans! :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry sir, but you have obviously had enough, we are going to have to cut you off......"But I've only just walked in the door!".....

Dilloduck
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
It's only going to drive them underground and force them to eat at uninspected eateries run by illegals in back alleys who smoke pot and use wire coat hangers.

02-02-2008, 12:29 PM
What are they going to do? force people to stand on a scale to enter the place? Its outrageous!

so we starve people? Is that really what we need? This bill will make people more obese

If they are trying to starve people, that will slow the persons metabolism causing them to gain weight.

If they turn down service to obese people, they will cause emotional drama in the lives of people will make them embarassed and unwilling to react socially. Many of these people turn to food as a comfort for underlying emotional and social problems which means they have to turn to food even more.

bullypulpit
02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
"Bring monsieur a bucket..." - John Cleese, "The Meaning of Life"

PostmodernProphet
02-02-2008, 05:52 PM
what will fat people do on vacation....fast?......

5stringJeff
02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
what will fat people do on vacation....fast?......

Does anyone vacation in Mississippi?

Gaffer
02-02-2008, 06:07 PM
This is the first step for the food police. The anti-smoking crowd started the same way. Give it a few years and you'll see laws about being over weight. Once the food police are well entrenched the thought police will begin to surface.

MtnBiker
02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Is it the governments job to decide if a person can be over weight or not?

actsnoblemartin
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
not anymore

texas has the best cooking anyway

:salute:

and their blue bell ice cream is too die for

Does anyone vacation in Mississippi?

Little-Acorn
02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I heartily encourage the states, local govts, etc. to try this kind of thing. It encourages healthy competition with other states etc. If people approve, they will flock to the Mississippi restaurants. If not, they will go elsewhere - other citie, states etc. And if the restaurants' additional business from approving patrons, makes up for the loss of of arguably their heaviest-ordering customers, they win!

Only forseeable problem is, these days anything the states do, especially things of an overbearing and contolling nature, tend to serve as a template for soon-to-follow Federal action. It's harder to leave the country in protest of something you don't like, than to leave your local town for a night out - something the Feds frequently count on when restricting people's freedom.

-----------------------------------------------

Mississippi Pols Seek To Ban Fats

FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index.