PDA

View Full Version : Borat

jackass
02-20-2007, 09:59 PM
I really dont understand what the big hooplah was over this movie. I think it was one of the most boring movies I have ever watched. There were a few shock value snickers, but that was it. If you havent seen it yet...dont waste 2 hours of youe life. Go watch paint dry instead.

Nuc
02-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought the movie was weak compared to the TV show. That had a genuine element of surprise.

dan
02-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I liked the show and the movie a lot.

Hobbit
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I thought it was hilarious, but then again, I go to movies determined to be entertained. I'm paying for it. I'm not getting my money back. I might as well be entertained.

jackass
02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
What was entertaining about it? It was slow...and not that funny. I did chuckle a few times, but thats about it. I guess I was expecting more.

dan
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
What was entertaining about it? It was slow...and not that funny. I did chuckle a few times, but thats about it. I guess I was expecting more.

You asked for it.....

It works on many levels.

1) Sacha Baron Cohen's performance. I can't think of a more relatable caricature than Borat. He's simultaneously completely realistic and an absolute farce. Considering that a large portion of the movie was improvised, I feel that Cohen worked as hard on his character as any actor nominated for an Oscar this year.

2) The entire movie is something of a performance art piece. Except for a few obvious exceptions, nobody knew that Borat was a character, and as a result, the movie captures real human moments that are funny and sometimes discomforting.

3) It works as a satire of PC culture, as well as a very biting satire of certain Americans' mindset when dealing with world relations. While it may not be THAT offensive, I can't think of a mainstream movie that attacks all of American society's sacred cows more succinctly than Borat. It simultaneously pokes fun at the Middle East (or at least at eastern Europe, I suppose) and the US and as a result finds a common ground among all mindsets simply by offending all of them.

And, above all else, it's funny. I'm not really sure what else to say, I was blown away by it, as were the six friends I saw it with. Is most of the humor "shocking"? Yes, but anyone who's seen Da Ali G Show knew what they were getting into, and most of it isn't just shocking for the sake of being shocking, it's got a point.

jackass
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
, and as a result, the movie captures real human moments that are funny and sometimes discomforting.

I agree with that...but it wasnt laugh out loud funny or oh my God did you see that funny. It was merely humorous. In my opinion. Maybe I was just expecting the great "masterpiece" I heard about.

dan
02-22-2007, 01:05 AM
For as much as I liked it, I'd be insane to deny that it was waaaaaaaayyy overhyped. It was a really good comedy, but it wasn't the most important cultural event of the year or anything.

Roomy
02-22-2007, 04:42 AM
I loved it, it gave the world a real understanding of American attitudes and behaviour, not a lot different to the Brits actually, but he needed the larger and more unwitting cast and audience.:bow2:

Roomy
02-22-2007, 04:43 AM
You asked for it.....

It works on many levels.

1) Sacha Baron Cohen's performance. I can't think of a more relatable caricature than Borat. He's simultaneously completely realistic and an absolute farce. Considering that a large portion of the movie was improvised, I feel that Cohen worked as hard on his character as any actor nominated for an Oscar this year.

2) The entire movie is something of a performance art piece. Except for a few obvious exceptions, nobody knew that Borat was a character, and as a result, the movie captures real human moments that are funny and sometimes discomforting.

3) It works as a satire of PC culture, as well as a very biting satire of certain Americans' mindset when dealing with world relations. While it may not be THAT offensive, I can't think of a mainstream movie that attacks all of American society's sacred cows more succinctly than Borat. It simultaneously pokes fun at the Middle East (or at least at eastern Europe, I suppose) and the US and as a result finds a common ground among all mindsets simply by offending all of them.

And, above all else, it's funny. I'm not really sure what else to say, I was blown away by it, as were the six friends I saw it with. Is most of the humor "shocking"? Yes, but anyone who's seen Da Ali G Show knew what they were getting into, and most of it isn't just shocking for the sake of being shocking, it's got a point.

Excellent work Dan.

dan
02-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Excellent work Dan.

I try.

Roomy, since you're one of the only British people I "know", I figured I'd ask if you're a fan of Ricky Gervais? I was a fan of The Office (even though I just recently got around to watching Series 2) and Extras is really good, too, though I've heard that the second season kind of jumps the shark a little.

Also, what do you think of Hot Fuzz?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Haven't seen it. Looks stupid though so probably wont.

jackass
02-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I try.

Roomy, since you're one of the only British people I "know", I figured I'd ask if you're a fan Hot Fuzz?

Dan, if you want to ask him to go steady...just do it! :laugh2:

dan
02-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Dan, if you want to ask him to go steady...just do it! :laugh2:

:finger3:

Roomy
02-23-2007, 10:30 AM
I try.

Roomy, since you're one of the only British people I "know", I figured I'd ask if you're a fan of Ricky Gervais? I was a fan of The Office (even though I just recently got around to watching Series 2) and Extras is really good, too, though I've heard that the second season kind of jumps the shark a little.

Also, what do you think of Hot Fuzz?

I am a big fan of Gervaise, he is massive here, he has a couple of stand up comedy dvd's out 'Animals' and 'Politics', both are very funny.
Season 2 of extras is excellent cringeworthy comedy.
I haven't seen 'Hot Fuzz' yet but I don't think you can go wrong with those guys, just look at 'Shawn of the dead'.

dan
02-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Jackass, I'm hijacking your thread. Deal wit it.

I am a big fan of Gervaise, he is massive here, he has a couple of stand up comedy dvd's out 'Animals' and 'Politics', both are very funny.

I'll have to check those out. I wouldn't think he'd be able to pull off standup too well, if only because I think he's at his funniest when he's playing off of other people. But, maybe that's just me.

I haven't seen 'Hot Fuzz' yet but I don't think you can go wrong with those guys, just look at 'Shawn of the dead'.

...or Spaced. Yeah, I think that crew will be good no matter what they do.