PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Murray - Romney faces more prejudice than Obama

02-02-2008, 06:35 PM
http://www.article6blog.com/2008/02/01/article-vi-interviews-the-reverend-cecil-chip-murray/

my favorate paragraph:

Reverend Murray: I think Governor Romney must see himself as a symbol. Symbol of the underdog, who must run a good race, fight a good fight, and if and when he loses, walk with his head high because the victory was not in the victory, but in the struggle. He must hold America to its highest, he must have an agenda with bullet points that are clear to understand so that people can see what he stands for even as some will see as what he stand on … Mormonism. And thus be led to make choices. He may see himself as a door opener, because 4 years from now he might run again and find a whole new chemistry. Or forty years from now another Mormon will run, and they will see, just as Jesse ran for President and Al Sharpton ran for president. There was not a chance that they would win. Blacks knew it very well. They themselves knew it. But they were door openers for such as Barack Obama.

typomaniac
02-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Crying "prejudice" at every turn doesn't work anymore.

I think that Michael Vick is an asshole, but not because he's black. I think he's an asshole because he behaves like one.

Mittler is in exactly the same category, as far as I'm concerned.

NATO AIR
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't want to demean Mormonism but I have to... its not a Christian faith as understood by most Christians. Unfortunately that bothers a lot of people. I'd rather vote for a Jew or a Muslim than a Mormon... at least there are thousands of years of history there between the faiths and common understandings. As far as I see it, some wacko came along and started his own religion hijacking the Bible and other texts and claims it to be the true faith. Wow, that's great they've been so successful (and Mormonism is a fast growing faith in this world) but I don't see a real difference between it and the Nation Of Islam, or Scientology.

For Romney to cry foul over this is nonsense. His faith is anthema to a lot of Americans and Christians, Jews and Muslims the world around.

PostmodernProphet
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
but I don't see a real difference between it and the Nation Of Islam, or Scientology.

/shrugs....you ought to....mainstream Mormonism of today is far closer to evangelical Christianity that you are familiar with than it is with the Mormonism of the late 1800s.....if you attend a Mormon service most places, you would be hard pressed to find a difference with a Methodist or UCC service......