PDA

View Full Version : Romney Wins Maine Caucuses

Pale Rider
02-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Romney Wins Maine Caucuses

2008-02-03 06:30:12
By GLENN ADAMS Associated Press Writer

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — Mitt Romney coasted to a win in presidential preference voting by Maine Republicans on Saturday, claiming his third victory in a caucus state and fourth overall.

The former Massachusetts governor had 52 percent of the vote with 68 percent of the towns holding caucuses reporting. John McCain trailed with 21 percent, Ron Paul was third with 19 percent, and Mike Huckabee had 6 percent. Undecided votes accounted for 2 percent.

The nonbinding votes, the first step toward electing 18 Maine delegates to the Republican National Convention, took place in public schools, Grange halls, fire stations and town halls across the state.

The Associated Press uses presidential preferences expressed in those caucuses to project the number of national convention delegates each candidate will have when they are chosen at Maine's state convention, calculating that Romney will wind up with all 18 delegates when all is said and done.

Campaigning in Minnesota, Romney noted that his victory in Maine came despite McCain's endorsement by the state's two U.S. senators.

"The people of Maine joined those from across the nation in casting their vote for conservative change in Washington ... Like many Americans, the people of Maine are tired of Washington promises made but broken," Romney said in a statement.

http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14370052&feedid=224

Pale Rider
02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
On super Tuesday, I predict mccain will lose big to Romney, and I wouldn't be totally surpised if he almost lost to Ron Paul either.

02-03-2008, 08:04 PM
On super Tuesday, I predict mccain will lose big to Romney, and I wouldn't be totally surpised if he almost lost to Ron Paul either.

I am hoping for an upset too. I am thinking that alot of people will think McCain is a shoe in and wont show up to vote for him while those against McCain will be energized to vote against him.

retiredman
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
my son dated Glenn Adams' daughter all through highschool! very cool that his byline is here on DP.

gabosaurus
02-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Winning a caucus means absolutely zero at this point. Especially in a conservative state like Maine.

Pale Rider
02-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Winning a caucus means absolutely zero at this point. Especially in a conservative state like Maine.

Do you think you could explain to mfm just how it is Maine is "conservative" gab?