PDA

View Full Version : Ash Wednesday

5stringJeff
02-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Collect:
Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in me a new and contrite heart, that worthily lamenting my sins and acknowledging my wretchedness, I may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ my Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Totally forgot about it until I was flipping thru the channels and saw a catholic mass where everyone had black smudged on their heads. It was a nice mass except for half the music was in a different language, prolly Latin.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 08:32 AM
In the morning I took frozen tenderloins out of the freezer and set them in the fridge to defrost for dinner. Wife called me at 10 am because she remembered it was Ash Wednesday. By noon I forgot and had a ham sandwich. Wife cooked meatless spagetti for dinner.

Bless me father for I have sinned.... :(

Nienna
02-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I kind of miss all those rituals... there is something in practicing those things--- the fasting, the ashes, the liturgy--- inspires reverence. Maybe I'll go to Mass with Mom this weekend. :)

5stringJeff
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm not Catholic or anything, but I am finding that I enjoy the ritual in all of it.

Merlin
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure what all it means but it doesn't bother me. I think it is silly and comical. When I see someone with it on their heads I tell them,"hey you have some dirt on your forehead, you need a rag".

5stringJeff
02-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure what all it means but it doesn't bother me. I think it is silly and comical. When I see someone with it on their heads I tell them,"hey you have some dirt on your forehead, you need a rag".

Educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday

glockmail
02-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure what all it means but it doesn't bother me. I think it is silly and comical. When I see someone with it on their heads I tell them,"hey you have some dirt on your forehead, you need a rag". Very tolerant and sensitive of you. Lemme guess- liberal? :dev:

02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Ive always been alittle bugged with the attitude by alot of people with Ash Wednesday. I mean the attitude "Hey lets sin all we want during the Carnival/Mardi Gras and then we will go get our Ashes for Lent and 'give up' our sins for the 40 days of Lent and now I am righteous."

Its like hey you get the Ash on your forehead and now all our sins are in the past attitude I have. People feigning repentence.

I dont have any problem with Catholics who actually follow their faith, i just get bugged by alot of hypocrites around this holiday.

Merlin
02-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday

Least of my interest in this stage of life.

Merlin
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Very tolerant and sensitive of you. Lemme guess- liberal? :dev:

LOL. I'm the "LEAST" liberal person in the world. I don't hate liberals, I just wish they were all locked up in the loony bin where they belong.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Ive always been alittle bugged with the attitude by alot of people with Ash Wednesday. I mean the attitude "Hey lets sin all we want during the Carnival/Mardi Gras and then we will go get our Ashes for Lent and 'give up' our sins for the 40 days of Lent and now I am righteous."

Its like hey you get the Ash on your forehead and now all our sins are in the past attitude I have. People feigning repentence.

I dont have any problem with Catholics who actually follow their faith, i just get bugged by alot of hypocrites around this holiday. There are hypocrits at every holiday, much more so in this relatively minor one (from the secular perspective). Actually its not even a holiday, its a "day of obligation". We Catholic don't even ask for the day off, and the only evidence to the public is a little dirt on our foreheads. Why the emotional response?

glockmail
02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
LOL. I'm the "LEAST" liberal person in the world. I don't hate liberals, I just wish they were all locked up in the loony bin where they belong. OK. So you're a conservative-secularist?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Or maybe just a conservative protestant who doesn't like Catholics.

I’m a catholic but don’t really go to church that much except for Christmas and Easter as a family obligation.

Hagbard Celine
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM

I dont have any problem with Catholics who actually follow their faith, i just get bugged by alot of hypocrites around this holiday.

Don't be such a prude. :)

glockmail
02-22-2007, 05:28 PM

I’m a catholic but don’t really go to church that much except for Christmas and Easter as a family obligation. I'm well aware od Catholic bias. NC has the lowest % (3.5) of any other State. I think its rather funny in a way. But I'll let Av speak fer himself, as he has always been straightforward.

Abbey Marie
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I kind of miss all those rituals... there is something in practicing those things--- the fasting, the ashes, the liturgy--- inspires reverence. Maybe I'll go to Mass with Mom this weekend. :)

I know what you mean. Nobody creates a sense of mystery and reverence for our Creator like the Catholic Church. I guess we former Catholics always have it somewhere in our psyches. :thumb:

darin
02-22-2007, 05:37 PM

I’m a catholic but don’t really go to church that much except for Christmas and Easter as a family obligation.

Aren't you gay? I was under the impression Catholics need to follow the convictions of Catholicism.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Aren't you gay? I was under the impression Catholics need to follow the convictions of Catholicism. That's called a "cafeteria Catholic". :p

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Aren't you gay? I was under the impression Catholics need to follow the convictions of Catholicism.
Not really, as a catholic you’re not supposed to take birth control pills either but guess what, most/many catholic women do.

5stringJeff
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Not really, as a catholic you’re not supposed to take birth control pills either but guess what, most/many catholic women do.

There's a big difference between using birth control, which is a papal edict, and engaging in homosexual acts, which the Bible condemns.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Papal edicts are about as important to the church. If they weren't we would just be protestant. Hate the sin not the sinner and all that. You don't not get to be in the church because you have "sinned".

But like I said, I go to church twice a year. I'm not a big practicing believer to begin with but I do respect the church and can understand why they have the rules they do.

5stringJeff
02-22-2007, 05:56 PM
You don't not get to be in the church because you have "sinned".

I'm not saying you can't be in church if you've sinned. The church would be empty. But repentance is an important part of Christian theology - understanding what your sin is, asking for forgiveness, and resolving not to commit that sin again. That's the whole purpose behind Ash Wednesday.

darin
02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Papal edicts are about as important to the church. If they weren't we would just be protestant. Hate the sin not the sinner and all that. You don't not get to be in the church because you have "sinned".

But like I said, I go to church twice a year. I'm not a big practicing believer to begin with but I do respect the church and can understand why they have the rules they do.

so....you aren't really catholic - you just go to the building twice a year. Gotcha.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Yep. I believe in a "god' but don't really have a particular church or book I follow.

02-22-2007, 06:07 PM

It seems to be a rare occurance nowadays to actually expect anyone to follow their beliefs.

darin
02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Yep. I believe in a "god' but don't really have a particular church or book I follow.

Agnostic? Do you base your belief of God on anything particular? A hunch?

glockmail
02-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Not really, as a catholic you’re not supposed to take birth control pills either but guess what, most/many catholic women do. That's equatable. :uhoh:

Actually, homosexuality is possibly the gravest sin imaginable.

Nienna
02-22-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm not Catholic or anything, but I am finding that I enjoy the ritual in all of it.

It seems like you would, Jeff. It can be a great worship experience. :)

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Actually, homosexuality is possibly the gravest sin imaginable.
Yeah right, all sins are either equal and if they are not I'd say mass murder and torture, even thievery would be far more serious sins than something as non damaging as two people enjoying each other company even though they happen to be of the same sex.

People who think homosexuality is the greates sin are insane.

manu1959
02-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah right, all sins are either equal and if they are not I'd say mass murder and torture, even thievery would be far more serious sins than something as non damaging as two people enjoying each other company even though they happen to be of the same sex.

is it a sin at all?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 07:55 PM
is it a sin at all?
According to the bible if you take it literally as being the word of god with no influence of the men who wrote it down then, yes. It is a sin according to the bible and that is why I am fine with the church considering as such and refusing to allow gay marriages in the church ect.

manu1959
02-22-2007, 08:01 PM
According to the bible if you take it literally as being the word of god with no influence of the men who wrote it down then, yes. It is a sin according to the bible and that is why I am fine with the church considering as such and refusing to allow gay marriages in the church ect.

but there are several churches that allow gay marriage so then it would not be a sin because you are not having sex outside of marriage.

unfortunately, sex is not suposed to be for fun it is suposed to be for reproduction..."every sperm is sacred" ... so i guess that would make gay sex a sin again....

unless you were atheists in which case god does not exist....so gay sex can't be sin as sin does not exist....

:poke:

darin
02-22-2007, 08:04 PM
but there are several churches that allow gay marriage so then it would not be a sin because you are not having sex outside of marriage.

Even within marriage, homosexuality is a sin.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Homosexuality is a sin against nature itself. This goes back to Ham and Noah, culminates in the Old Testament wars, and continues to this day between the Jews and Arabs.

Calling me insance is just avoiding the issue by attempting to demonize someone expressing an opinion. OK to do if you're a lib, right?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Every church has it's own interprution even so according to the bible it would still be a sin even if they deny that part of the book.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Calling me insance is just avoiding the issue by attempting to demonize someone expressing an opinion. OK to do if you're a lib, right?

Has much as the right wingers on this board demonize libs I think fair is fair. You treat how your treated most of the time.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Has much as the right wingers on this board demonize libs I think fair is fair. You treat how your treated most of the time.

How did I dis you. By voicing my opinion?

Nice try at avoiding the issue of grave sin.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Not a grave sin by any count. You would think it would be in the Ten Commandments if it was the gravest of sins wouldn't ya. In fact it's not even mentioned in the bible put a few times and the greatest sin according to the big ten is putting another god before him.

Please explain your Noah to Ham comments. There is little talk of gay sex in those parts as far as I know.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Not a grave sin by any count. You would think it would be in the Ten Commandments if it was. In fact I think the greatest sin according to that was putting another god before the lord. Please explain your Noah to Ham comments. There is little talk of gay sex in those parts as far as I know.

I doubt that you would read it with an open mind. Why should I bother?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't care if you bother or not but if you aren't gona back up your claims with anything don't expect me to just believe them.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't care if you bother or not but if you aren't gona back up your claims with anything don't expect me to just believe them.

What I'm saying is that I won't bother unless you agree to read the whole thing with an open mind. It's a .doc I saved and it's about a full page long.

So do you agree or not?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Does it have real bible passage to back it up, if it is I will. If it's just some opinion piece I prolly wont.

manu1959
02-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Even within marriage, homosexuality is a sin.

that is what i just said

glockmail
02-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Does it have real bible passage to back it up, if it is I will. If it's just some opinion piece I prolly wont.

Yes it is fully referenced. But I checked again. Its 3 pp long. Do you still agree?

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes, though it may have to be tomorrow night after school cuss I'm going to take a shower in then bed pretty soon and I only have time for quick things in the mornings and on school comps when I'm supposed to be working.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Homosexuals & the Scripture

Moved to new thread in Religion/ Ethics

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=19684&postcount=1

02-22-2007, 09:24 PM

There is a reason "Thou shalt not commit adultery" is listed prior to "Thou shalt not steal"

Sexual sin is a very serious sin. Almost as serious as murder. Which shouldn't be very much surprise. After all what would God want to govern more than how life comes into this world and how it leaves this world?

And why shouldnt He? He paid for all life with His own blood.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:28 PM
The modern meaning of Adultery is not gay sex it's having sex with someone while being married besides your wife and husband. I don't think they were thinking gay sex when they put that in and even reading the bible it only mentions male gays sex in the NT as far as I know.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
No shower for me tonight I guess, the waters freakin ice. Not a lick of hot water. I'll have time to read that article glock posted tonight now.

02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
The modern meaning of Adultery is not gay sex it's having sex with someone while being married besides your wife and husband. I don't think they were thinking gay sex when they put that in and even reading the bible it only mentions male gays sex in the NT as far as I know.

adultery is broad enough to include all sexual sin.

LiberalNation
02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Not if they don't point out exactly what sexual sin is. Is having sex when you know no procreation will occur a sin.

manu1959
02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Not if they don't point out exactly what sexual sin is. Is having sex when you know no procreation will occur a sin.

hello cath-o-lick church and condoms....no birth control....

darin
02-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Not in the least. Sex is not for procreation as much as it's designed to enable a man and a woman to become 'one' in God's eyes. Sex is for bonding. Some misguided (biblically) folk think otherwise, however. :)

glockmail
02-23-2007, 08:35 AM
The modern meaning of Adultery is not gay sex it's having sex with someone while being married besides your wife and husband. I don't think they were thinking gay sex when they put that in and even reading the bible it only mentions male gays sex in the NT as far as I know. Changing the meaning of a word is a classic liberal excuse; it's still sin.