PDA

View Full Version : America is foolish, you evils

typomaniac
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Some disturbing statistics:

Less than half of American adults understand that the Earth orbits the sun yearly, according to a basic science survey. Despite flubbing such questions, there is enthusiasm for research -except in some fields such as genetic engineering and nuclear power that are viewed with suspicion.

Only about 25% of American adults got passing grades in a survey by the National Science Foundation of what people know about basic science and economics. Even fewer of those surveyed felt they were well-informed about technical subjects.

The worst showing came when those surveyed were asked to define scientific terms. Only about 9% knew what a molecule was, and only 21% could define DNA.

But even more fundamental questions stumped man: Less than 1/2 knew that the Earth orbits the sun annually. In a test of environmental understanding, 1/3 of Americans surveyed understood the effects of a thinning ozone layer, 14% could identify locations of ozone holes, and only 5% could give a scientific explanation of acid rain.

Even money questions stumped most Americans. A 10-point quiz on economics showed that only 22% could correctly answer 7 or more of the questions.

Source (http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/stupidit.htm)

Sitarro
02-04-2008, 05:56 PM

I have a question ace, what is VR? How about V1? What? You don't know that? Why not? Quick, google it.

manu1959
02-04-2008, 05:59 PM
got em all right....

typomaniac
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I have a question ace, what is VR? How about V1? What? You don't know that? Why not? Quick, google it.

Like virtual reality and an obsolete German-made guided missile have anything to do with this post. :uhoh:

MtnBiker
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
There was no indication of the survey sample. How the survey was conducted, the demographics of the group, the size of the group and all of the questioned answered. It could have been cherry picked for the AP article.

Yurt
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
be more original in your titles :poke:

diuretic
02-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Isn't V1 something to do with the way an aircraft takes off?

Kathianne
02-05-2008, 03:31 AM
got em all right....

Me too and haven't had a science course in over 20 years.

Classact
02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
At least we are smarter than the French
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhlERjW0bhw
but if you google the question you find 20% of US people think the same.

AFbombloader
02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I could have answered all of them correctly. I knew what they wanted for #5but I dispute their answer.

5. Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals. (true/false)

5. True - 44% 6.

AF:salute:

Nukeman
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Lets see I got everyone right does that mean I am soom kind of freaking genius or something?????:laugh2:

Trigg
02-05-2008, 11:37 AM
They just proved the English were stupid also, Churchhill's a myth dontcha know.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=195371#post195371

Dilloduck
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM

No silly----it was the prototype for V8 juice.

manu1959
02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Me too and haven't had a science course in over 20 years.

i am in fourth grade science agian......oh joy....

manu1959
02-05-2008, 12:00 PM

it was a rocket the germans developed to blitz london also called a buzz bomb....

mrg666
02-05-2008, 12:09 PM
At least we are smarter than the French
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhlERjW0bhw
but if you google the question you find 20% of US people think the same.

:laugh2::clap:

diuretic
02-05-2008, 05:04 PM
No silly----it was the prototype for V8 juice.

:laugh2:

diuretic
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
it was a rocket the germans developed to blitz london also called a buzz bomb....

Yep, there's one in the Imperial War Museum (at least I think it's still there, haven't been there for a few years) that was smuggled out of Poland in WWII.

Good thing that V2 didn't really get into heavy production. I wonder what might have happened in Europe if it had.

theHawk
02-05-2008, 05:18 PM

The problem with alot of these "statistics" is that probably the rest of the world would test even worse with the same questions. How do you think Africans or Pakistanis would do on these types of tests? :laugh2:

manu1959
02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Yep, there's one in the Imperial War Museum (at least I think it's still there, haven't been there for a few years) that was smuggled out of Poland in WWII.

Good thing that V2 didn't really get into heavy production. I wonder what might have happened in Europe if it had.

if hitler had not invade russia he would have had the V2 in production and me 262 and german would be the national language of the eu.....

diuretic
02-05-2008, 08:13 PM
if hitler had not invade russia he would have had the V2 in production and me 262 and german would be the national language of the eu.....

True enough. I sort of look at us in Aus and think what if the Battle of the Coral Sea had been won by Japan and our Army hadn't defeated the Japanese land forces at Milne Bay, then we'd be driving Hondas, Mitsubishis, Toyotas..; watching a Sony or Sanyo or Panasonic tv; listening to a Pioneer or Sony or Sanyo music system....hey, wait a minute! :laugh2:

manu1959
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
True enough. I sort of look at us in Aus and think what if the Battle of the Coral Sea had been won by Japan and our Army hadn't defeated the Japanese land forces at Milne Bay, then we'd be driving Hondas, Mitsubishis, Toyotas..; watching a Sony or Sanyo or Panasonic tv; listening to a Pioneer or Sony or Sanyo music system....hey, wait a minute! :laugh2:

it would appear they lost the battle and won the war......

typomaniac
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
it would appear they lost the battle and won the war......

I dunno. 18 years of recession and the world's largest national debt isn't my idea of a "win." :dunno:

diuretic
02-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I didn't think Japan was in economic straits. I remember they had a financial bubble a few years ago but I thought they were in better shape now.

typomaniac
02-07-2008, 01:00 AM
I didn't think Japan was in economic straits. I remember they had a financial bubble a few years ago but I thought they were in better shape now.

They're just as worried about job drain-off to India as the U.S. is. Things may be a little better than they were right when the bubble burst, but Japan has still got some serious problems.