PDA

View Full Version : Juan McCain and Romney battle over who is conservative

82Marine89
02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidates John McCain and Mitt Romney argued on Monday over who is the real conservative with their battle headed toward a Super Tuesday climax.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, sought to stir discontent among conservatives who are skeptical about Arizona Sen. McCain's record of having voted against President George W. Bush's tax cuts and his moderate views on illegal immigration.

"A lot of people said it is going to be a very easy race for Senator McCain. But across the country conservatives have come together and said, 'You know what, we don't want Senator McCain. We want a conservative to be in the White House'," Romney told supporters in Nashville.

McCain ripped Romney at a campaign rally in Hamilton, New Jersey, saying Romney presided over a "big government, mandated health care plan" as governor of Massachusetts.

McCain said he has long been in favor of cutting federal spending and is a strong proponent of facing down the challenge of Islamic extremism -- positions he said are at the heart of conservatism.

"So I'm proud of my record in the Senate as a staunch conservative," McCain said.

McCain has a lead over Romney in many states and has a chance of emerging from the Tuesday nominating contests as the presumptive Republican nominee.

But he is in a close battle with Romney in California, a big prize among the 21 states that are holding Super Tuesday contests for Republicans in their race to determine who will face the Democrats' choice in the November election.

LAST-MINUTE CHANGES

Both Romney and McCain made last-minute changes to their schedules to appear in California one more time. Romney was to hold a rally on Monday night. McCain was to go to San Diego on Tuesday afternoon.

"If I win California that means you're going to have a conservative in the White House," Romney told reporters after having breakfast with voters at the Pancake Pantry restaurant in Nashville, where he stressed his conservative credentials.

Read more about Senator Sell-out here... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080204/pl_nm/usa_politics_republicans_dc)

82Marine89
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
"So I'm proud of my record in the Senate as a staunch conservative," McCain said.

I threw up in my mouth when I read that.

5stringJeff
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
He's also proud of restricting free speech and offering amnesty to lawbreaking illegals.

Pale Rider
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
He's also proud of restricting free speech and offering amnesty to lawbreaking illegals.

Not to mention almost going to prison for his involvement with the Keating five. (http://www.azcentral.com/news/specials/mccain/articles/0301mccainbio-chapter7.html)

82Marine89
02-04-2008, 09:41 PM
And we mustn't forget the McCain-Lieberman Bill. (http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=15431)

According to the study, McCain-Lieberman 2004

* will cost the average U.S. household at least $600 per year by 2010, rising to at least $1,000 per year by 2020;

* will cost the U.S. economy at least 39,000 jobs in 2010, and at least 190,000 jobs by 2020;

* will force at least a 13 percent rise in electricity prices by 2010, and at least a 19 percent rise in electricity prices by 2020; and

* will force at least a 9 percent rise in gasoline prices by 2010, and at least a 14 percent rise in gasoline prices by 2020.