PDA

View Full Version : Usenet Browser?

pegwinn
02-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi, anyone remember usenet? It was like the dinosaurs of modern message boards. Well they are still out there and are really good for specialized communication.

Problem is that to get on with it you need software that will connect to an NNTP server so you can download, read, post etc.

I've been using outlook express. It sucks. Can anyone recommend any other newsreader software? OE has gotten on my last nerve. But, Usenet is too good a resource to simply blow it off.

Thanks in Advance.

mrg666
02-05-2008, 02:29 AM
i think at one point i was using get right for the news groups but that was a long time ago and i mostly used it to download from the groups
a lot dont actually have message posts but lots of zips and rars it became popular again when broad band knocked it up a notch

diuretic
02-05-2008, 03:02 AM
If you're using Windows then I don't think you can go past XNews (just Google it, totally free, no spyware, decodes Yenc). If you use Linux then I think Pan is the most useful.

jimnyc
02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I can vouch for Xnews even though I use Forte Agent now. I like an independent client rather than the crap built into browser/email programs.