PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for the board?

Powerman
02-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Where would I go if I wanted to make suggestion that in my opinion would improve the forum?

Well I suppose I'll just make my suggestion known now. This forum has too many sub forums. I think you guys could consolidate them and significantly increase the efficiency with which people read the site and increase traffic...

For instance, why can't humor be in the lounge? Is humor not also considered fun chat?

I think one off topic lounge would be the best. Have all the food, music, movies, humor, etc. all in one forum. I've seen a similar site where this is the case and it's MUCH easier to use. I'd recommend consolidating the political boards as well. Of course you wouldn't have to consolidate it into one but maybe you could group it into just 3 or 4 at most.

1. Foreign affairs
2. Domestic affairs (this would include economics)
3. Philosophical/Religious/Idealistic Debates

I know not everyone likes change and a few people might not like this idea but I seriously think that most of you would come to enjoy these changes if they did occur. Having too many sub forums makes it take much longer to browse the topics and often topics don't get replied to for this reason. Who has the time to check EVERY single forum here? I know I don't.

Thanks for considering my ideas (hopefully)

jimnyc
02-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Where would I go if I wanted to make suggestion that in my opinion would improve the forum?

I guess right where you have is as good a place as any! :)

I'm always open to suggestions, and I'll allow this thread to remain and hopefully we'll receive input from the rest of the board. I usually let the members themselves dictate the structure, and through feedback I have it the way the members have requested. Almost every 'chat' type of forum has been specifically requested by a number of members. As for the political side, my opinion is that its best to keep them separated. While the board is in the beginning stages, you may not see the benefits, but once thousands of posts start to pile up it becomes much easier to find and engage in your preferred discussion.

Also, just an Fyi, one can always click on "New Posts" at the top of the board when logging in. This will list all new posts since your last login, without having to go through the various forums.

Input from others?

KarlMarx
02-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Would you please change the background from blue to white?

Mr. P
02-21-2007, 08:16 AM
I don’t want to see less forum topics. I think they maintain order, like a chest of drawers. I don’t want to open a drawer for a pair of underpants and have to dig though all my socks to find them.

Abbey Marie
02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I don’t want to see less forum topics. I think they maintain order, like a chest of drawers. I don’t want to open a drawer for a pair of underpants and have to dig though all my socks to find them.

I agree.

Also, I think it actually takes me less time to browse the way it is set up now. I can avoid forums (forii?) that do not interest me. If many of them are lumped into the Lounge, they are essentially now in the way. Like socks in my undies drawer, as a wise man once said. ;)

I do like Mr. P's suggestion elsewhere that the smilies stay in a constant order, with the most frequently used on the first page. Sometimes I have to make two or three pases to find the one I want. If they stay in one place, I will know where to find it.

Nienna
02-21-2007, 01:50 PM
I agree.

Also, I think it actually takes me less time to browse the way it is set up now. I can avoid forums (forii?) that do not interest me. If many of them are lumped into the Lounge, they are essentially now in the way. Like socks in my undies drawer, as a wise man once said. ;)

I do like Mr. P's suggestion elsewhere that the smilies stay in a constant order, with the most frequently used on the first page. Sometimes I have to make two or three pases to find the one I want. If they stay in one place, I will know where to find it.

Yep... I agree with all this. I usually just look under "new posts," so the forum divisions aren't a big deal to me. But, the smilies are hard to find! :)

jackass
02-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I personally like the way the site is setup. For me...I usually dont stray too far up the board and like all of the topics sepetated so I can just go to the ones I want to participate in.

shattered
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Well I suppose I'll just make my suggestion known now. This forum has too many sub forums. I think you guys could consolidate them and significantly increase the efficiency with which people read the site and increase traffic...

For instance, why can't humor be in the lounge? Is humor not also considered fun chat?

I think one off topic lounge would be the best. Have all the food, music, movies, humor, etc. all in one forum. I've seen a similar site where this is the case and it's MUCH easier to use. I'd recommend consolidating the political boards as well. Of course you wouldn't have to consolidate it into one but maybe you could group it into just 3 or 4 at most.

1. Foreign affairs
2. Domestic affairs (this would include economics)
3. Philosophical/Religious/Idealistic Debates

I know not everyone likes change and a few people might not like this idea but I seriously think that most of you would come to enjoy these changes if they did occur. Having too many sub forums makes it take much longer to browse the topics and often topics don't get replied to for this reason. Who has the time to check EVERY single forum here? I know I don't.

Thanks for considering my ideas (hopefully)

Phooey. The boards set up perfectly fine where it is.. The "Lounge" is great for things that don't fit in any of the other listed forums.

I also don't think anyone checks every single forum.. They merely check for new threads in the forums that appeal most to them.. I, for one, don't bother with the "Outdoor" (or whatever) thread, nor do I bother with "Sports", and having to weed through all that shit in the "Lounge" would be a PITA, and probably not worth my time.

Powerman
02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Phooey. The boards set up perfectly fine where it is.. The "Lounge" is great for things that don't fit in any of the other listed forums.

I also don't think anyone checks every single forum.. They merely check for new threads in the forums that appeal most to them.. I, for one, don't bother with the "Outdoor" (or whatever) thread, nor do I bother with "Sports", and having to weed through all that shit in the "Lounge" would be a PITA, and probably not worth my time.

I see where you are coming from. But if meaningful thread titles are given to the threads then there would be no problem for you to navigate and find topics that interest you.

For example, say you like food and music but not sports. You can easily tell from the titles within the lounge which threads interest you.

But it looks like I'm in the minority on this one...BUT I have seen this type of setup work on a MUCH larger forum and find it to be more efficient. And it would stand to reason that it would be even more manageable on a smaller forum like this one.

The ClayTaurus
02-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I see where you are coming from. But if meaningful thread titles are given to the threads then there would be no problem for you to navigate and find topics that interest you.

For example, say you like food and music but not sports. You can easily tell from the titles within the lounge which threads interest you.

But it looks like I'm in the minority on this one...BUT I have seen this type of setup work on a MUCH larger forum and find it to be more efficient. And it would stand to reason that it would be even more manageable on a smaller forum like this one.Hit the "new posts" button and your problems will be solved. I think this makes 3 people who've told you this now. Seriously, everything condensed into one selection to quickly skim over. :)

glockmail
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM

I don't want to open a drawer for socks and find my old drawers. :fart:

Mr. P
02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't want to open a drawer for socks and find my old drawers. :fart:

They should be in the trash anyway. Speaking of, you changed your mind about the ethical stuff I see and came over to the bright side. :wink2:

BTW...Nice to see you.

glockmail
02-21-2007, 09:13 PM
They should be in the trash anyway. Speaking of, you changed your mind about the ethical stuff I see and came over to the bright side. :wink2:

BTW...Nice to see you.

It appears that ethics only matters if you suck up to the head bitch-mod, something that I've never been able to do.

Nice to be back, thanks.

Powerman
02-22-2007, 04:26 AM
Hit the "new posts" button and your problems will be solved. I think this makes 3 people who've told you this now. Seriously, everything condensed into one selection to quickly skim over. :)

Right

I got that

But for your casual forum user, I think it makes it much easier to consolidate the forums into fewer sub forums

You can all call me idiots. I'm just trying to give some positive input. BTW Clay I always liked your posts from the "other" forum

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Right

I got that

But for your casual forum user, I think it makes it much easier to consolidate the forums into fewer sub forums

You can all call me idiots. I'm just trying to give some positive input. BTW Clay I always liked your posts from the "other" forumWe hate n3wbs here anyways, so it's all good. :cheers2:

shattered
02-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Right

I got that

You can all call me idiots. I'm just trying to give some positive input. BTW Clay I always liked your posts from the "other" forum

The "casual" forum user is pretty much the minority, I think.. Makes more sense to make it "easier" to navigate for those people that are more serious about their time here.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 07:24 PM
It would be nice if the smilies didn't show up on the right side randomly, but as the last ten or so used, or used most often. And/ or, make the smiley field height the same as the reply text box height. I have a huge monitor and it still makes me scroll down to get to the submit reply button.

jimnyc
02-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll work on bringing some of the more often used smilies to the front page. But you bastards better not complain about how many there are and that they are hard to find, you all asked for them! :laugh2:

jimnyc
02-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Ok, just as a quick update, I updated the order of the smilies, 93 in all. Moved some of the more popular ones to the front. Seems to have decreased how far you must scroll to submit your post as well.

glockmail
02-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Less scolling now. That tall bs flag kept screwing it up before. Thanks!:salute:

Abbey Marie
02-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Ok, just as a quick update, I updated the order of the smilies, 93 in all. Moved some of the more popular ones to the front. Seems to have decreased how far you must scroll to submit your post as well.

Jim , you should give board-owner lessons. :salute:

jackass
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Jim , you should give board-owner lessons. :salute:

Cough cough kiss ass cough cough :laugh2:

manu1959
02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I'll work on bringing some of the more often used smilies to the front page. But you bastards better not complain about how many there are and that they are hard to find, you all asked for them! :laugh2:

:fu: <-----------------me like this one

glockmail
02-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Cough cough kiss ass cough cough :laugh2: hehe- Agree...I thought I was reading Kathianne for a sec... hehe

Abbey Marie
02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
hehe- Agree...I thought I was reading Kathianne for a sec... hehe

And you think trying to belittle me makes you look good somehow? :lame2:

glockmail
02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
And you think trying to belittle me makes you look good somehow? :lame2: You do realize that I'm a parapeligic, right? :cry:

darin
02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
hehe- Agree...I thought I was reading Kathianne for a sec... hehe

Get the hell off Abbey. She's under my 'protection'.

:)

glockmail
02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Get the hell off Abbey. She's under my 'protection'.

:)

You're such a sweet, sweet man. :laugh2:

Roomy
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but just press the new post button:laugh2:

trobinett
02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but just press the new post button:laugh2:

No Roomy, as is your way, your the first.:slap:

Roomy
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
No Roomy, as is your way, your the first.:slap:
I had to ask because I never read threads myself, as you all know.:cool:

LiberalNation
02-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Suggestion, humm.

How about a shoutbox or chat.

glockmail
02-26-2007, 08:09 AM
A "Wall of Shame" for banned posters, with extra points for come-backs who get banned a second time!

Little exposes about their pitiful posts. :coffee:

Gunny
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
A "Wall of Shame" for banned posters, with extra points for come-backs who get banned a second time!

That'll attract new members in droves.:rolleyes:

Roomy
02-27-2007, 04:26 AM

I can see bias and unfare advantages written all over this post.:laugh2:

glockmail
02-27-2007, 11:29 AM
That'll attract new members in droves.:rolleyes: ... and detract the bums.

Gunny
02-27-2007, 08:54 PM
... and detract the bums.

My remark was facetious. Who is and is not a bum is subjective.

glockmail
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
My remark was facetious. Who is and is not a bum is subjective. Anyone who makes sexual innuendos about my family is a bum.

Gunny
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone who makes sexual innuendos about my family is a bum.

And the people insulted by you think you are .......what?

glockmail
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
And the people insulted by you think you are .......what?
You'll have to ask them.