PDA

View Full Version : I'm dying, need diet advice!

jimnyc
02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Just got the lab report from my blood test during my physical last week and there are portions in bold that were above/below normal.

Cholesterol is 249 but they say should be below 200
HDL (good cholesterol) is 30 but should be above 35
LDL (bad cholesterol) is 147 and should be less than 100
Triglycerides are 286 and should be less than 150
Hemoglobin is 16.2 and should be between 11.7-15.5

Then my doctor writes in the notation area:

"Your cholesterol is elevated. I would recommend you to be on a low fat diet and try to exercise more frequently to decrease your cardio-vascular risk. We should recheck your cholesterol in 3 months, and if persistently elevated, we might have to consider medication"

Is this their gentle way of telling me I'm a heart attack candidate because of the disgusting way I take care of myself? :coffee:

actsnoblemartin
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I would talk to a nutrionist or a dietician, they are the experts

They can help you

Just got the lab report from my blood test during my physical last week and there are portions in bold that were above/below normal.

"Your cholesterol is elevated. I would recommend you to be on a low fat diet and try to exercise more frequently to decrease your cardio-vascular risk. We should recheck your cholesterol in 3 months, and if persistently elevated, we might have to consider medication"

Is this their gentle way of telling me I'm a heart attack candidate because of the disgusting way I take care of myself? :coffee:

jimnyc
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I would talk to a nutrionist or a dietician, they are the experts

They can help you

I think I can be my own doctor for giving advice, it's applying it that's the hard part! I have a sneaky suspicion any reputable doctor would tell me the following to lower my cholesterol and prevent heart disease:

stop smoking
stop eating McDonalds
Stop drinking 4 cups of coffee per day
stop eating so many eggs
stop with so much butter and salt
stop eating the rare meats
avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy products, as well as products with trans fats
exercise more than going up and down my stairs

Who the hell can survive without all that stuff?

Kathianne
02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I think I can be my own doctor for giving advice, it's applying it that's the hard part! I have a sneaky suspicion any reputable doctor would tell me the following to lower my cholesterol and prevent heart disease:

stop smoking
stop eating McDonalds
stop eating so many eggs
avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy products, as well as products with trans fats

Shoot, you only drink 4 cups of coffee a day? Sounds like the problem right there! :laugh2: That and :smoke: are my problems. I doubt I can stop the coffee.

DrJohn
02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
If it tastes good or feels good, cut it out!

actsnoblemartin
02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
thats absolutey wrong

I believe there answer would be

stop smoking (correct, or atleast try to quit, join a support group, ask a doctor for help with that too)

stop eating McDonalds (no, just limit it to rougly 4 times a month)

Stop drinking 4 cups of coffee per day (maybe cut back alittle, to 2-3 cups, drastic changes dont work, small changes over time do)

stop eating so many eggs ( cut back slowly, but u can eat some eggs, i figure)

stop with so much butter and salt ( lower it, dont cut it out, moderation, you dont have to give up anything, just dont overdo all the time)

stop eating the rare meats (no, you have this all or nothing attitude, like me :laugh2: and it doesnt work, just cut back a bit, slow changes, man)

avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy products, as well as products with trans fats ( you can find excellent substitutions for any food, low fat nachos, low fat milk, reduced fat chips, get creative, and you can still have the high fat stuff once and a while)

exercise more than going up and down my stairs (talk to a doctor, but id say start with 5-15 minutes per day, the pace ask a doctor about that)

dieting doesnt work, small lifestyle changes over time do.

Just take a positive attitude, relax, and get help from nutritionists, dieticians, and doctors. and take one step at a time, if you have a bad day, and eat like i do, then start over the next day, and keep going

retiredman
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
start now. I got a similar report card in late 2005 and made significant changes to my exercise regime and my diet... I still had a heart attack in November of 2006, but it was, no doubt, much less severe than it otherwise might have been, and my increased awareness of my own vulnerability made me more attuned to my own body and the warning signs. As a result, rather than disregarding the subtle pain in my triceps while on the treadmill in the morning and going on to work, I stayed home, went to the ER and actually had my "event" in an ambulance less than a minute away from the hospital in Portland where the surgical team was standing by to open up my blocked coronary artery with a stent.... end result: no damage to my heart muscle.

Bottom line: it is NEVER to early to get really committed to saving your own life. Your kids will thank you. Mine did.

Hey,,Jim...maybe that is what I could do a blog entry about: the strange day I had my heart attack!:laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
excellent thread, way to keep a positive attitude maineman, im glad youre ok mate

:salute:

start now. I got a similar report card in late 2005 and made significant changes to my exercise regime and my diet... I still had a heart attack in November of 2006, but it was, no doubt, much less severe than it otherwise might have been, and my increased awareness of my own vulnerability made me more attuned to my own body and the warning signs. As a result, rather than disregarding the subtle pain in my triceps while on the treadmill in the morning and going on to work, I stayed home, went to the ER and actually had my "event" in an ambulance less than a minute away from the hospital in Portland where the surgical team was standing by to open up my blocked coronary artery with a stent.... end result: no damage to my heart muscle.

Bottom line: it is NEVER to early to get really committed to saving your own life. Your kids will thank you. Mine did.

Hey,,Jim...maybe that is what I could do a blog entry about: the strange day I had my heart attack!:laugh2:

jimnyc
02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
If it tastes good or feels good, cut it out!

Well, I've gotten nearly 40 years out of a care free lifestyle, I guess it won't hurt to cut out some stuff, but can't do them all as I'd end up in an asylum!

thats absolutey wrong

I believe there answer would be

dieting doesnt work, small lifestyle changes over time do.

Just take a positive attitude, relax, and get help from nutritionists, dieticians, and doctors. and take one step at a time, if you have a bad day, and eat like i do, then start over the next day, and keep going

True, thx Martin

Hey, hearing about what others have conquered is good reading. I say go for it, I'd like to read about it myself.

glockmail
02-06-2008, 05:01 PM

stop smoking
stop eating McDonalds
stop eating so many eggs

Who the hell can survive without all that stuff? Damn- reminds me of when I had a bung-hole problem. The doctor told me to stay away from tomatoes, spicy foods, beer, and whiskey. I told him to just shoot me and get it over with now.

Sir Evil
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM

stop smoking
stop eating McDonalds
stop eating so many eggs

Don't forget to stop :wank2:, it's no good to work yourself up under those circumstances!

jackass
02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
start now. I got a similar report card in late 2005 and made significant changes to my exercise regime and my diet...

Yeah...but youre old!! :laugh2:

J/k

PostmodernProphet
02-06-2008, 05:07 PM
gentle

did it feel gentle to you?.....you could always opt for the alternative....dying young.....saves a ton on having to save for retirement.....

my brother always figured the doctors were full of crap....he died after his 9th heart attack at age 63......I wonder if there is some kind of record for number of heart attacks....anyway, he had several while in the hospital, three outside where he got help in time.....the last one he was home alone and decided to remove the patio slider doors for the contractors who were coming....didn't work.....

Yurt
02-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Jimmy, this is key, absolute key:

First and foremost, it is not a diet, it is a way of life. Diets suck and never last. The word itself means temporary eating change. You want permanent.

Second - gets men's health suscription. great mag and has some good sexy photos, er, articles. see their belly off club, they have tons of stuff online too, also, very reasonable price and it is for MEN.

manu1959
02-06-2008, 05:19 PM

stop smoking
stop eating McDonalds
stop eating so many eggs

based on what doc told you you won't survive with that stuff.....

your choice....watch your son grow up or have your son watch them bury you......

PostmodernProphet
02-06-2008, 05:20 PM
decide to lose two pounds a week....for the next year (stop if you get to a great weight before the year is up, lol).....I started that last year, got down 28....then I decided I needed to quit smoking too.....managed to quit smoking but put the 28 back on.....

I did it by cutting lunch three days a week and walking for an hour instead.....

5stringJeff
02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Jimmy, this is key, absolute key:

First and foremost, it is not a diet, it is a way of life. Diets suck and never last. The word itself means temporary eating change. You want permanent.

Second - gets men's health suscription. great mag and has some good sexy photos, er, articles. see their belly off club, they have tons of stuff online too, also, very reasonable price and it is for MEN.

I totally agree re: your diet. you need permanent changes, not temporary ones.

Men's Health is decent, but you really only need to subscribe for about a year, because all the articles start repeating.

I found out I had high cholesterol a couple of years ago. High as in ~250. My HDL was OK but my LDL was not. So yeah, I had to cut out the sausage and egg sandwiches for breakfast, and I've even started some light cardio exercise (much harder to do in winter).

As for your quick list of stuff:

stop smoking - Duh! :)
stop eating McDonalds - I would recommend this anyway, high cholesterol or not.
Stop drinking 4 cups of coffee per day - not needed
stop eating so many eggs - cut back, but it's not necessary to completely remove these from your diet
stop with so much butter and salt - ditto
stop eating the rare meats - ditto (I love medium rare steaks, but it's a treat)
avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy products, as well as products with trans fats - switch to 2%. You won't notice the difference in taste, and you'll lose about half the fat. 1% and skim is just too watery, though.
exercise more than going up and down my stairs - Duh! :D

02-06-2008, 05:30 PM
I know how you feel. ive been trying to get healthier lately. ive only lost about 25-30lbs so far. and just did it by adding some fruit and veggies in my diet and eating less fast food. its only been about two months but its working pretty well for me.

Id definitely recommend alot of things youve been saying. Ive also been doing some cleansing fasts to get toxins out of my system.

jackass
02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Second - gets men's health suscription. great mag and has some good sexy photos, er, articles.

:gay:

5stringJeff
02-06-2008, 05:51 PM
:gay:

Men's Health is like Maxim for married dudes. Lots of pics of hot chicks as "motivation," articles about sex, etc.

dan
02-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Men's Health is like Maxim for married dudes. Lots of pics of hot chicks as "motivation," articles about sex, etc.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005N7RD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:gay: :gay: :gay:

82Marine89
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM

stop smoking OK, I agree
stop eating McDonalds But there's veggies on those burgers.
Stop drinking 4 cups of coffee per day I drink 4-5 24oz. cups of coffee per day:coffee:
stop eating so many eggs 1 yolk for every two whites
stop with so much butter and salt Butter is better than margarine
stop eating the rare meats Use real horseradish. It helps with digestion
avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy products, as well as products with trans fats Whole milk in moderation... like with your coffee.
exercise more than going up and down my stairs Try 12oz curls. :cheers2:

:cool:

Immanuel
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM

No, it is a subtle way of telling you that your doctor is heavily invested in Merck and is worried about his stock price.

Immie

Kathianne
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I think it's cool how many of us are concerned about Jim's health. Get on the treadmill you whippersnapper!

82Marine89
02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Damn- reminds me of when I had a bung-hole problem. The doctor told me to stay away from tomatoes, spicy foods, beer, and whiskey. I told him to just shoot me and get it over with now.

To much in and not enough out? :laugh2:

shattered
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Centrum Cardio. TV says that's the new magical cureall, in vitamin form. :D

Other'n that, put down the damned cheeseburger. Either go low fat, or low carb. Low carb will fix all that shit faster than low fat, and without all the goofy cravings..

But you have to stick with one, or the other. You can't have both.

Yurt
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM

cover fools the wives .... and you ... open the mag up homie cheese

diuretic
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
As others have said jim, make it a gradual but permanent change, cut some things out, reduce your intake of some things and look for alternatives but look on it as a permanent change and not a "diet". Pretty soon you won't miss the crap and not long after that you'll wonder why the hell anyone liked that stuff anyway.

That way you'll avoid Type 2 diabetes as well.

CockySOB
02-06-2008, 08:59 PM

stop smoking

stop eating McDonalds
That's the big one. For that matter, cut out all fast food if you can - the whole genre is a killer. Even the so-called "healthy" stuff is still dangerous.

*snort* Bull-fucking-shit. Unless you're drinking unfiltered coffee, 4 cups a day will barely have an impact on your cardiovascular system. It's the oils found in coffees which impact your cholesterol levels, and most of the oils are caught by the popular paper filters used these days.

stop eating so many eggs
You'd have to eat a shitload of eggs every day for this to make a huge impact. If you do enjoy your eggs, you might try the EggBeaters substitute. I use it for omelets and cooking recipes regularly. But sometimes, Daddy wants his bacon and fried eggs (over easy), and then I indulge in the real deal.

Reducing your use of salt will help with your blood pressure, but if you can wean yourself down from massive usage it would be a good thing.

I replaced most of my butter usage with olive oil and canola oil, and I really haven't missed it.

Not so much rare meats as organ meats.

Avoid trans-fats - hell yeah!
Avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy - kinda. Actually, avoid processed milk like the plague. These days it's so over-processed that most of its nutritional value is out-weighed by the crap that's been put in it. But sometimes the taste-buds just HAVE to have that rich, creamy goodness, so when the craving starts showing up, nip it in the bud and have what you crave - but only in small portions.

Or just jog the stairs during your lunch break.

My suggestion is to find ways to modify your current diet and exercise routines immediately. Make up your mind to explore the substitutes for your unhealthy urges, and try 'em out before starting your changeover. Once you have a complete set of substitutes to use (that you've tried and LIKE) then make the switch. It'll take some determination and willpower at first, but as the substitutes become ingrained, the urges for the old stuff should fade.

I'll be happy to share any specifics that I've done in my own switchover. Just ask.

PostmodernProphet
02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I think it's cool how many of us are concerned about Jim's health.

we have to be...do you realize what he is going to do to our Medicare premiums?

CockySOB
02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
decide to lose two pounds a week....for the next year (stop if you get to a great weight before the year is up, lol).....I started that last year, got down 28....then I decided I needed to quit smoking too.....managed to quit smoking but put the 28 back on.....

I did it by cutting lunch three days a week and walking for an hour instead.....

Do any snacking on raw almonds, walnuts or other nuts? Fruits? During the walks that is....

manu1959
02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Do any snacking on raw almonds, walnuts or other nuts? Fruits? During the walks that is....

almonds lower cholesterol.....it is my snack.....red wine my vice....

stop smoking....got really sick had no choice

stop eating McDonalds.....once a week max but only with my son

Stop drinking 4 cups of coffee per day....coffee...one cup on the drive to work ....one at work...one if i take my wife out to dinner...

stop eating so many eggs....eggs only on sunday and only if i make my wife breakfast

stop with so much butter and salt.....unsalted butter and no salt

stop eating the rare meats.....only when i take my wife out to dinner or saturady bbq's...the rest of the week is chicken or fish

avoid whole milk and other fatty dairy products, as well as products with trans fats.....2% milk only

exercise more than going up and down my stairs....bought my son and i bikes we bike every sunday.....to the coffee shop....:laugh2:

i made it all about doing things for my wife and son and daughter

PostmodernProphet
02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
almonds are a good replacement for chips if you are a snackaholic......dried cranberries also good......green olives and dill pickles.....

if you really need a fix, popcorn, sea salt, melted unsweetened chocolate.....mix together, let cool.......chocolate covered popcorn with very few calories.....you can also flavor with peppermint or orange extract for a new taste and no added calories....

spending ten minutes trying to eat a hot pepper is also a good way to forget about food for a while while taking in few calories.....

learn to use spices to satisfy cravings.....a pinch of paprika or lemon pepper on your tongue can be as satisfying as a midnight snack....and zero calories.....

understand that cravings are psychological and are seldom related to hunger.....your body is craving stimulation, not calories.....

other tricks.....use dessert plate for meals.....you can have five helpings, but will eat less food than if you have two helpings on a standard sized plate....psychologically you feel you have eaten more......

snack a lot, but only a handful....eat 100 calories 24 times a day instead of 800 calories three times a day.....

use less salt, use more chili powder.....

Mr. P
02-06-2008, 09:47 PM

You should, I'd be interested in reading it.

Mr. P
02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Eat, drink and be marry....cuz none of us get out of here alive anyway.

LiberalNation
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Eat less, exercise more, rinse and repeat........

Pale Rider
02-07-2008, 03:27 AM
"Exercise".... you can diet 'till the cows come home, but it's not going to be worth spit without exercise.

Yeah I watch what I eat. I never, NEVER eat that CRAP from the fast food places. I don't care how hungry I am or how convenient they are. I'll find a Subway or something else. And no sweets. Cut out the sugar, as much as possible. A little dark chocolate once awhile is good for you though.

Coffee, drink it. Stop only if it makes you feel anxious or keeps you up at night.

Red meat, eat in moderation, and cook it until the juice runs clear. Substitute chicken or pork when possible, and eat fish or sea food at least once a week. Balance your diet with salads, vegetables and fruit.

Milk, 2%.

Butter, only for cooking.

Eggs.... in moderation. A great source of protein and good for you, but can be harmful if eaten every day.

And EXERCISE!!! I exercise between one and three hours everyday, whether I feel like it or not. I force myself. If you don't use it, you'll lose it, and exercise is the single most important thing one can do to keep yourself healthy. Mix a cardio routine in with resistance training for best results. And even when I don't feel like exercising and I do it anyway, I'm always glad I did, because it's a great feeling when you're done.

And don't forget sex... it's outstanding exercise... :D

glockmail
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
To much in and not enough out? :laugh2:
The only thing that's been in there besides my shit is that big ol' snake camera that looks like "Alien" when he moves the light around with that remote thingy. :finger3:

Classact
02-07-2008, 11:39 AM

stop smoking
stop eating McDonalds
stop eating so many eggs

Smoking: I stopped for four months last year and it sucked... but I didn't re-start smoking but used the method the doctor told me about to quit... He told me to smoke only when I absolutely wanted to smoke and then to smoke only 7-11 seconds and that will trick the brain equally to smoking as normal. So now since Sept. of last year I only smoke at home and I use a pair of scissors to clean cut it after each smoke turning it into three smokes. When I'm hungry I smoke a third of a cigarette and then maybe 45 minutes later another third of a cigarette. I still go through nearly a pack a day but that is less than I smoked before I quit.

McDonnalds sucks! Buy yourself a nice baking potato and a prime rib... eat a small portion of meat and a large potato.

Coffee: One cup strait black no sugar or anything else.

I eat salt, bacon, sausage, eggs almost every day but I walk 5K every morning. I exercise at home even while on the computer. I walk another one or two K's at home or shopping every day... be a moving target and don't sit in one place.

gabosaurus
02-07-2008, 12:07 PM
You and my husband share much of the same deficiencies.
His doctor said:
No fried food or fast food
Exercise at least 30 minutes per day
No smoking or alcohol (he does neither, don't know about you)
Medication (I think he is on Vytorin)

Classact
02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
You and my husband share much of the same deficiencies.
His doctor said:
No fried food or fast food
Exercise at least 30 minutes per day
No smoking or alcohol (he does neither, don't know about you)
Medication (I think he is on Vytorin)Most health problems are related to family related weaknesses and lack of exercise.

If your family had health problems then you are doomed to the same if you don't do something differently. Exercise, exercise and live your life... I smoke, drink like a fish and eat whatever the hell I feel like and every checkup the doc says you are 59 and you smoke... go get a x-ray and then they say they must be mixed up with a non smoker... clean as a whistle.

dan
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Most health problems are related to family related weaknesses and lack of exercise.

Speaking for myself and Jim, I think our family's weakness is a dislike of exercise!

Pale Rider
02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
The only thing that's been in there besides my shit is that big ol' snake camera that looks like "Alien" when he moves the light around with that remote thingy. :finger3:

YOU WERE AWAKE FOR THAT?.... :eek:

glockmail
02-07-2008, 01:35 PM
YOU WERE AWAKE FOR THAT?.... :eek: You think I'd drop my pants, bend over, then let some guy put me to sleep? You homo! :laugh2:

Mr. P
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
YOU WERE AWAKE FOR THAT?.... :eek:

Three benefits of being awake.

1. You get to enjoy the drugs

2. You see some cool stuff

3. They won't make the jokes about yer ass or lil pee-pee

:laugh2:

glockmail
02-07-2008, 01:52 PM

3. They won't make the jokes about yer ass or lil pee-pee

Priority one is that you're able to fight off any homos that might want to take advantage of the situation. :boom2:

Abbey Marie
02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I know how you feel. ive been trying to get healthier lately. ive only lost about 25-30lbs so far. and just did it by adding some fruit and veggies in my diet and eating less fast food. its only been about two months but its working pretty well for me.

Id definitely recommend alot of things youve been saying. Ive also been doing some cleansing fasts to get toxins out of my system.

That McDonalds next to Villanova is the worst I've ever been in, anyway! :coffee:

nevadamedic
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Marine, Pale and OCA all have multiple copies of that issue! :laugh2:

glockmail
02-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Marine, Pale and OCA all have multiple copies of that issue! :laugh2: You think that's a gay mag?

dan
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Just go out to a cow pasture and find some mushrooms, you get these two advantages without even having anything shoved up your butt!

jimnyc
02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Trying to be healthy sucks!

I had low fat Kielbasa and broccoli for dinner the night before last. Last night the woman made some nasty, no taste chicken and rice. I've been putting skim milk in my coffee and starving myself to avoid everything else at the moment.

I did get my usual Dr. Pepper this afternoon though, is that bad for cholesterol? And the woman is working late tonight and the boy wants me to order a pizza, I can't imagine a greasy cheese pizza will help me.

Oh, and I smoked about 2 cartons of smokes since I got the results! :laugh2:

I know exercise is key for me, since I don't do any right now, but I think I need to quit or slow down on the smoking before trying to exercise. The funny thing is, I'm not fat, I actually still look the same as I always did, but I guess my insides are made out of grease and tar!

jackass
02-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I did get my usual Dr. Pepper this afternoon though,

No COKE????

Mr. P
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Just go out to a cow pasture and find some mushrooms, you get these two advantages without even having anything shoved up your butt!

Yer giving drug advice to someone who made it through the sixties, kid. Show some respect! :slap:

Roadhouse158
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Look for a supplement named Niacin. Your levels are borderline which can be caused by genetics. Even though you may have an unhealthy lifestyle, genetics plays a huge role in cholesterol. Look for that Niacin and give it a few months to see how it works. I wouldn't recommend getting put on cholesterol medicine just yet. If you like to drink alcohol, you don't need something else that causes liver damage.