PDA

View Full Version : Romney might be suspending his campaign

02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Rush just mentioned it. He doesnt know if its accurate at all yet.

-Cp
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Here's more:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/07/romney.campaign/index.html

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will suspend his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, GOP sources tell CNN.

Romney had won 270 delegates in through the Super Tuesday contests, compared with front-runner John McCain's 680.

Suspending a campaign has a different meaning depending on the party.

On the Republican side, decisions on how to allocate delegates is left to the state parties.

On the Democratic side, a candidate who "suspends" is technically still a candidate so he or she keeps both district and statewide delegates won through primaries and caucuses. Superdelegates are always free to support any candidate at any time, whether the candidate drops out, suspends or stays in.

National party rules say that a candidate who "drops out" keeps any district-level delegates he or she has won so far but loses any statewide delegates he or she has won.

Romney is expected to announce his decision Thursday afternoon at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, three Republican sources told CNN.

Classact
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Turn on CSPAN2 right now and he will be addressing CPAC where he is expected to anounce the same.

LiberalNation
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah news says he's dropping out of the race. That means McCain has it, he will be the republican nominee.

02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
listening to Romney. I dont understand why he wasnt so fired up earlier. this speech is awesome!

nevadamedic
02-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Romney just announced on CNN, he's out! :dance:

theHawk
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
His speech was very good. I'm suprised he has stepped down this early.

-Cp
02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
He's SO much more of a good person than either McLame or Huckabee - this part of his speech shows he's a class-act:

“If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator (Hillary) Clinton or (Barack) Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror,” he said.

“This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters, many of you right here in this room have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming president. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country,” Romney continued. “I will continue to stand for conservative principles; I will fight alongside you for all the things we believe in. And one of those things is that we cannot allow the next President of the United States to retreat in the face evil extremism.”

Classact
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
listening to Romney. I dont understand why he wasnt so fired up earlier. this speech is awesome!I agree, I would hate to be McCain coming into that meeting... guess the crowd will thin out or walk out when he arrives.

Pale Rider
02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Fuck this... let the country go to hell... I'm done talking about this shit.

02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
interesting thought:

Romney in his last act completely screwed over Huckabee.

Think about it, huckabee was trying to be the VP. And he was hoping for a brokered convention to make his case for it. Now McCain doesnt need Huckabee. So Huckabee is screwed.

Obviously, that wasnt what Romney was planning to do. But it effectively does that.

Ive decided that ill support McCain in the general for the sake of the troops. I dont think he will win, especially not here in pa so im not worried about putting him in power. but atleast ill have a clear conscience about the troops

Trigg
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Great, our choice will be a dem or a dem.

Now we're left wondering if the devil herself will win or Obama with his "hope" for the future.

I refuse to vote for McCain, so if he wins don't blaim me for anything he does (this is for those libs who will bitch about his presidency) if elected.

Classact
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Fuck this... let the country go to hell... I'm done talking about this shit.Let's start a chain letter to write in Romney as our candidate! McCain should know exactly how much he is hated before the actual election.

PostmodernProphet
02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I refuse to vote for McCain, so if he wins don't blaim me for anything he does

is it okay if we blame you for what Hillary does?.......

02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
is it okay if we blame you for what Hillary does?.......

i dont think hillary will be the Dem nominee anymore.

nevadamedic
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
interesting thought:

Romney in his last act completely screwed over Huckabee.

Think about it, huckabee was trying to be the VP. And he was hoping for a brokered convention to make his case for it. Now McCain doesnt need Huckabee. So Huckabee is screwed.

Obviously, that wasnt what Romney was planning to do. But it effectively does that.

Ive decided that ill support McCain in the general for the sake of the troops. I dont think he will win, especially not here in pa so im not worried about putting him in power. but atleast ill have a clear conscience about the troops

Does anyone possibly think there has been a deal cut between Senator McCain and Mitt Romney?

nevadamedic
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Let's start a chain letter to write in Romney as our candidate! McCain should know exactly how much he is hated before the actual election.

Great, our choice will be a dem or a dem.

Now we're left wondering if the devil herself will win or Obama with his "hope" for the future.

I refuse to vote for McCain, so if he wins don't blaim me for anything he does (this is for those libs who will bitch about his presidency) if elected.

That's it, hand the election over to Hillary or Obama, people who will NOT defend our country from terrorists or extremists because your pissed off about who our nominee is.

02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Does anyone possibly think there has been a deal cut between Senator McCain and Mitt Romney?

no. dont think there was. McCain and every other candidate hates Romney. That wouldnt necessarily stop McCain from going to him for a VP if he thought it would unify the party. But i am not sure Romney as a VP would.

Pale Rider
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
The one scenario not being discussed is, what if all the conservatives got 100% behind Huckabee to derail mccain, because if Huckabee took ALL the conservative vote, and Romney's delegates, mccain could still get his ass kicked.

hjmick
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Somebody better check and make sure Hannity isn't swinging from a shower rod somewhere. First Rudy, now Mitt. What's that schmuck going to do now?

JohnDoe
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
The one scenario not being discussed is, what if all the conservatives got 100% behind Huckabee to derail mccain, because if Huckabee took ALL the conservative vote, and Romney's delegates, mccain could still get his ass kicked.

That's still a possibility, your scenario Pale.... if the conservatives supporting huckabee are sincere, then maybe they will stick with him until the end just on principle....i am not certain it really matters whether McCain is the candidate or Huckabee is the candidate, i think that the Democratic Party is probably going to win this time around, mainly on the increased voter count they have been showing in the primaries....so as a "numbers" person, the numbers speak to a democratic win, imo.

I think, if the huckabee supporters are true to their conservatism, and not necessarily the "republican chance of a win" or "what the party wants", in the end, supporting huckabee till the convention, is principled, and really not going to matter in the outcome of the election but at the same time, will matter in sending a message to "the party" on who really rules on what the party needs to stand for, ....them!

jd

02-07-2008, 03:23 PM

yeah its possible. but its not likely.

Same would be true for Ron Paul but not as likely as Huckabee to hurt things.

nevadamedic
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
no. dont think there was. McCain and every other candidate hates Romney. That wouldnt necessarily stop McCain from going to him for a VP if he thought it would unify the party. But i am not sure Romney as a VP would.

After his speech praising Senator McCain's ability to fight the War On Terror, I think there is a chance of it. Although I would really like to see Senator McCain take someone like Newt though.

02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
After his speech praising Senator McCain's ability to fight the War On Terror, I think there is a chance of it. Although I would really like to see Senator McCain take someone like Newt though.

there is a chance. And Romney isnt going to endorse Mccain officially till the convention in case Huckabee tries to beat McCain now one on one.

like i said, huckabees chances at VP are screwed over now. He is probably fuming. he wont get out and McCain wont respect that.

I could see him pull on Romney on the ticket. But i think it is more likely he will choose someone who isnt in the race.

nevadamedic
02-07-2008, 06:07 PM
there is a chance. And Romney isnt going to endorse Mccain officially till the convention in case Huckabee tries to beat McCain now one on one.

like i said, huckabees chances at VP are screwed over now. He is probably fuming. he wont get out and McCain wont respect that.

I could see him pull on Romney on the ticket. But i think it is more likely he will choose someone who isnt in the race.

If he does pick someone outside the race I hope he picks Newt.

02-07-2008, 07:24 PM
If he does pick someone outside the race I hope he picks Newt.

i dont think Newt would accept. Newt didnt run for President because he didnt want to give up his position as his organization. why would he run for VP to do it?

OCA
02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
i dont think hillary will be the Dem nominee anymore.

Avatar you've got to be kidding.

Dilloduck
02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Avatar you've got to be kidding.

LOL really Avatar---do you always have a knack for going for the losers ?

Dilloduck
02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
i dont think Newt would accept. Newt didnt run for President because he didnt want to give up his position as his organization. why would he run for VP to do it?

Cause it wouldn't cost him a dime.

Trigg
02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
That's it, hand the election over to Hillary or Obama, people who will NOT defend our country from terrorists or extremists because your pissed off about who our nominee is.

Besides Iraq what does he disagree with them on??????????

They agree on illegal immigration.

They agree on the economy

The only difference is he doesn't want a timeline on Iraq and they do.

I will not vote for McCain, I don't agree with his stance on anything. I will also not vote for Hillary or Obama. I'll vote for my local representatives who I actually agree with.

I am not handing the nomination to anyone, the people in the primaries have already done that. Indiana doesn't even hold a primary until May, big freakin deal, everyone I would have voted for will be out by then.

PostmodernProphet
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
They agree on the economy

????.....McCain: taxes bad, spending bad.......Democrats: taxes good, spending good....

how do you figure that again?.....

5stringJeff
02-08-2008, 10:37 PM

That's very unlikely. You see, Newt is a principled conservative, and McCain is an opportunistic liberal.

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Suspending? That sounds like a punishment to me. Is the RNC not happy with Mitt or do they have a stategic motive in mind?