PDA

View Full Version : Scientists now worried about Global Cooling? Huh...

-Cp
02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I can't wait to hear the Al Gore Kool-aid-drinking sheeple (liberals) on this board reply to this one...

http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=287279412587175

PostmodernProphet
02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
"Solar activity has overpowered any effect that CO2 has had before, and it most likely will again," Patterson says. "If we were to have even a medium-sized solar minimum, we could be looking at a lot more bad effects than 'global warming' would have had."

omigorsh....what if greenhouse gases have saved us all from a fate worse than freezing......

Dilloduck
02-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost

Hobbit
02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
It's like I've said over and over again. Solar activity correlates with temperature far more closely than CO2. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, that enormous ball of fire in the sky that beats down on our faces all day and is responsible in the 100 swing between seasons just might have more to do with the temperature than an invisible gas that all living things have exhaled for billions of years?

Sitarro
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
It's like I've said over and over again. Solar activity correlates with temperature far more closely than CO2. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, that enormous ball of fire in the sky that beats down on our faces all day and is responsible in the 100 swing between seasons just might have more to do with the temperature than an invisible gas that all living things have exhaled for billions of years?

Yes?:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
No

Yes?:laugh2:

You don't read much do you?

stephanie
02-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Dang...I was just getting prepared to be exterminated by global warming..

Now I've got to switch gears...sheesh:poke:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 12:24 AM
MEEEEEEYYYYYOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

What a puss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
02-10-2008, 12:30 AM
MEEEEEEYYYYYOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

What a puss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cow::cow::cow:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 12:35 AM
That is exactly what I thought!!!!!!!

:cow::cow::cow:

You are amazing, staphy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diuretic
02-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Climate change - as in it can go up or down. Where I am it's getting hotter and drier earlier and for longer, your experiences may be different.

One day I'll be able to work out why some folks see this as a political or ideological issue rather than something to be dealt with objectively.

stephanie
02-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Climate change - as in it can go up or down. Where I am it's getting hotter and drier earlier and for longer, your experiences may be different.

One day I'll be able to work out why some folks see this as a political or ideological issue rather than something to be dealt with objectively.

How do you change the climate...by throwing money at it(which is what the politicians want), or diminishing our way of life...(which is what the environmentalist want) ??

Why do we need to do either, when climate change is a natural phenomenon..

NOBODY is going to tell mother earth what her climate will be...she will decide that for herself...

And us humans will adapt with the changes, we always have..:cheers2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Check out "Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore. No responsible scientist disputes his overall observations.

How do you change the climate...by throwing money at it(which is what the politicians want), or diminishing our way of life...(which is what the environmentalist want) ??

NOBODY is going to tell mother earth what her climate will be...she will decide that for herself...

Cheer up, Staphy, the climate in your part of the country is warming and I hope you don't find your home underwater in the next century or so. What about your grandkids, for God's sake? Did you do your duty to protect the environment for them?

stephanie
02-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Check out "Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore. No responsible scientist disputes his overall observations.

Cheer up, Staphy, the climate in your part of the country is warming and I hope you don't find your home underwater in the next century or so. What about your grandkids, for God's sake? Did you do your duty to protect the environment for them?

Get a grip...
I do my share to protect the environment, but there isn't a damn thing we can do about climate change...it's been happening for millions of yrs...and us humans won't be able to do a damn thing about it...except adapt with it like we always have or die...pfeeeesh...:cheers2:

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 02:01 AM

Not quite true:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=595F6F41-802A-23AD-4BC4-B364B623ADA3

Rank-and-file scientists are now openly rebelling. James Spann, a certified meteorologist with the AMS, openly defied the organization when he said in January that he does "not know of a single TV meteorologist who buys into the man-made global warming hype." In February a panel of meteorologists expressed unanimous climate skepticism, and one panelist estimated that 95% of his profession rejects global warming fears.

In August 2007, a comprehensive survey of peer-reviewed scientific literature from 2004-2007 revealed "Less Than Half of all Published Scientists Endorse Global Warming Theory."

"Of 539 total papers on climate change, only 38 (7%) gave an explicit endorsement of the consensus. If one considers 'implicit' endorsement (accepting the consensus without explicit statement), the figure rises to 45%. However, while only 32 papers (6%) reject the consensus outright, the largest category (48%) are neutral papers, refusing to either accept or reject the hypothesis. This is no 'consensus,'" according to an August 29, 2007 article in Daily Tech.

In addition, a September 26, 2007 report from the international group Institute of Physics' finds no "consensus" on global warming. Here is an excerpt: "As world leaders gathered in New York for a high-level UN meeting on climate change, a new report by some of the world's most renowned scientists urges policymakers to keep their eyes on the "science grapevine", arguing that their understanding of global warming is still far from complete." The Institute of Physics is also urging world leaders "to remain alert to the latest scientific thought on climate change."

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Who are these idiots? They aren't publishing their work and they are not comparing anything to anything.

Not quite true:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=595F6F41-802A-23AD-4BC4-B364B623ADA3

As the self professed teacher that you proclaim to be, I can only suppose you will identify these people that made the statements and demonstrate some understanding of the scientific disagreements that are presented in the article mentioned.

stephanie
02-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Who are these idiots? They aren't publishing their work and they are not comparing anything to anything.

As the self professed teacher that you proclaim to be, I can only suppose you will identify these people that made the statements and demonstrate some understanding of the scientific disagreements that are presented in the article mentioned.

And..Al Gore who didn't even study meteorology in school, is all of a sudden a friggen climate expert...

B. T. Barnum WAS RIGHT....that's probably who Al Bore took lessons from...:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 03:15 AM
P.T. Barnum was certainly correct. You evidence his observation in most every post you make. Al Gore, on the othe hand, requires more study and intellectual debate and critical thinking.

And..Al Gore who didn't even study meteorology in school, is all of a sudden a friggen climate expert...

B. T. Barnum WAS RIGHT....that's probably who Al Bore took lessons from...:laugh2:

Coming from your local pub, I don't think you qualify as any intelligent source of profound public information. But, for the purposes of these threads you are still a Hero in my book, staphy!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
02-10-2008, 03:21 AM
P.T. Barnum was certainly correct. You evidence his observation in most every post you make. Al Gore, on the othe hand, requires more study and intellectual debate and critical thinking.

Coming from your local pub, I don't think you qualify as any intelligent source of profound public information. But, for the purposes of these threads you are still a Hero in my book, staphy!!!!!!!!!!!!

All hale the Al Bore......all hale the Al Bore.....:bow2:
You make me laugh so hard.......I gotta go take a pee...:cheers2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 03:26 AM
You'd probably smell better if you left your pee.

All hale the Al Bore......all hale the Al Bore.....
You make me laugh so hard.......I gotta go take a pee...:cheers2:

How's your relationship with P.T. getting along?

stephanie
02-10-2008, 03:31 AM
You'd probably smell better if you left your pee.

How's your relationship with P.T. getting along?

time for your nity nity night...you're getting a little off in la la land there dear...:cheers2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 03:38 AM
Seriously, staphy, don't you think leaving your "pee" rather than to "take a pee" would improve in some insignificant way your otherwise onerous odor?

time for your nity nity...you're getting a little off in la la land there dear...:cheers2:

It's really GREAT here in lala land!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
02-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Seriously, staphy, don't you think leaving your "pee" rather than to "take a pee" would improve in some insignificant way your otherwise onerous odor?

It's really GREAT here in lala land!!!!!!!!!!

I took you down and now you can't get up...

so now you're are just talking gibberish eh...

love ya always...:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 04:41 AM
It's hard when you get old,,,,,,,,,,maybe I said that wrong.

I took you down and now you can't get up...

so now you're are just talking gibberish eh...

love ya always...:laugh2:

The circus thing has you going around in circles, doesn't it? Don't blame me, you brought it up!!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
02-10-2008, 04:47 AM
It's hard when you get old,,,,,,,,,,maybe I said that wrong.

The circus thing has you going around in circles, doesn't it? Don't blame me, you brought it up!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh2:I'm not going round and round...but maybe you are eh??

No problemo....it's late...

cheerios.....:cheers2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 06:26 AM
It is tough being me and I do go round and round with my kids, my wife and even myself from time to time. But I always come out on top of it all. I'm still posting in this most poisonous environment ain't I?

:laugh2:I'm not going round and round...but maybe you are eh??

No problemo....it's late...

cheerios.....:cheers2:

Keep up with the cherrios, staphy. They'll keep you regular.

diuretic
02-10-2008, 07:13 PM

That's fair enough to a point. But what occurs to me is that is it possible that we humans, with a couple of hundred years of industrialisation, are adversely affecting the Earth's environment? True, we can't change a natural phenomenon but if we're adversely affecting it then shouldn't we try and reduce or get rid of our adverse effects? I mean we're intelligent beings, we can surely find some way of cutting it out. If we'd allowed the proper development of alternative energy sources some years ago then many of us wouldn't be hostage to the oil-rich nations as we are today. Climate change probably won't ruin the Earth while any of us here are still alive but it might be pretty crappy for our descendants if we don't start doing something about it now.

Psychoblues
02-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for bringing it back around to sensibilities, doc. But I doubt if many here can understand your logic.

stephanie
02-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks for bringing it back around to sensibilities, doc. But I doubt if many here can understand your logic.

Bull...:slap:

Psychoblues
02-12-2008, 01:57 AM
See what I mean, doc?

CharlesAngelicus
03-11-2008, 01:44 AM
The methodology of the conservative right seems to be: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. It's the same tactic they use against Evolution ("It's only a theory!" as if that really mattered in the argument. Hint: Yes, it's a theory. We know this. Either give an alternative, testable, falsifiable hypothesis or STFU). Global Warming is also under attack from the same people using the same methods. "They don't even agree what causes Global Warming! We found this one guy who..." Yes, you're right. There are several theories that are bandied about regarding the origin of Global Warming. Several are anthropogenic based, others are based on things like Solar activity. However, Solar activity based-global warming has been largely dismissed (we'd be seeing warming of all bodies in the solar system, which we are mostly not). If you don't think humans can't mess up an ecosystem or environment, please get yourself to the Ogalala Aquifer and ask the geologists about contamination of the ground water from pesticides and pollutants, merely in the past hundred years or so. We can have a huge impact on our systems that may take decades, centuries, or even millenia to play out. To just go around saying "lalala it doesn't make any difference" smacks of willful ignorance.

Here's a change in thought: Why would it be so bad to explore alternative energy because, you know, it's cool? Ignore the environmental aspects at the moment. What if you had a house that was completely off the grid and powered completely by the sun, wind, and geothermal? What if your car ran on water? That sounds cool, to me, and that's without bringing any of the so-called environmental benefits into the conversation. The cries of "I've been telling people for years that it's all bullshit!" are just rationalizations to not accept change and new technologies and it's a stubbornness that might just cost us more than $4/gallon gasoline and increasing cancer rates (or whatever disease of the month is being touted as proof of whatever). I've been telling people for years that Kate Moss is in love with me, and yet that doesn't make it true.

Drive your hummer. Enjoy your gasoline.

Said1
03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
The methodology of the conservative right seems to be: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. It's the same tactic they use against Evolution ("It's only a theory!" as if that really mattered in the argument. Hint: Yes, it's a theory. We know this. Either give an alternative, testable, falsifiable hypothesis or STFU). Global Warming is also under attack from the same people using the same methods. "They don't even agree what causes Global Warming! We found this one guy who..." Yes, you're right. There are several theories that are bandied about regarding the origin of Global Warming. Several are anthropogenic based, others are based on things like Solar activity. However, Solar activity based-global warming has been largely dismissed (we'd be seeing warming of all bodies in the solar system, which we are mostly not). If you don't think humans can't mess up an ecosystem or environment, please get yourself to the Ogalala Aquifer and ask the geologists about contamination of the ground water from pesticides and pollutants, merely in the past hundred years or so. We can have a huge impact on our systems that may take decades, centuries, or even millenia to play out. To just go around saying "lalala it doesn't make any difference" smacks of willful ignorance.

Here's a change in thought: Why would it be so bad to explore alternative energy because, you know, it's cool? Ignore the environmental aspects at the moment. What if you had a house that was completely off the grid and powered completely by the sun, wind, and geothermal? What if your car ran on water? That sounds cool, to me, and that's without bringing any of the so-called environmental benefits into the conversation. The cries of "I've been telling people for years that it's all bullshit!" are just rationalizations to not accept change and new technologies and it's a stubbornness that might just cost us more than $4/gallon gasoline and increasing cancer rates (or whatever disease of the month is being touted as proof of whatever). I've been telling people for years that Kate Moss is in love with me, and yet that doesn't make it true.

Wow. You've opened my eyes. I had no idea pesticides contaminated ground water. Would that be an anthropogenic cause? That's such a big word, hep me out won't ya? :laugh2:

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM

Even in the face of verifiable facts and evidence that a coming ice age is more likely than a warmer climate, there is still frothing at the mouth, moonbat, lunatics out there regurgitating the same old stale crap al bore tries to pass off as somehow viable, all unproven. Amazing...

Dilloduck
03-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not worried about any global cooling either. It was 95 degrees in Austin yesterday. Yikes !