PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Camp Threatens to Boycott NBC Debates Because of Comments About Chelsea Being

stephanie
02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
:rolleyes:

February 08, 2008 2:09 PM

On a conference call Friday afternoon, Clinton campaign communications director Howard Wolfson suggested the campaign might boycott NBC debates given a "pattern" of comments made by MSNBC hosts.

Wolfson was referring to MSNBC's Chris Matthews, anchor of "Hardball," and David Shuster, a correspondent and fill-in anchor on the cable network.

Shuster on Thursday, suggesting it was "a little bit unseemly to me that Chelsea's out there calling up celebrities, saying support my mom, and she's apparently also calling these super delegates," asked, "doesn't it seem like Chelsea's sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way?"

Wolfson called the comment "disgusting" and "beneath contempt...It’s the kind of thing that should never be said on a national news network."

He said that Clinton has participated in "a number of debates on that network. We had agreed yesterday to do a debate on that network. And I at this point can’t envision a scenario where we would continue to engage in debates on that network given the comments that were made and have been made."

read the rest and comments..
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/02/clinton-camp-th.html

theHawk
02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
The Spawn of Hillary and B.J. Clinton.....could she be the anti-Christ?

:lol:

typomaniac
02-08-2008, 04:26 PM
:rolleyes:

February 08, 2008 2:09 PM

On a conference call Friday afternoon, Clinton campaign communications director Howard Wolfson suggested the campaign might boycott NBC debates given a "pattern" of comments made by MSNBC hosts.

Wolfson was referring to MSNBC's Chris Matthews, anchor of "Hardball," and David Shuster, a correspondent and fill-in anchor on the cable network.

Shuster on Thursday, suggesting it was "a little bit unseemly to me that Chelsea's out there calling up celebrities, saying support my mom, and she's apparently also calling these super delegates," asked, "doesn't it seem like Chelsea's sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way?"

Chelsea's an adult. Therefore, if she's campaigning for Mom it's because she wants to.

Shuster's just being a douche bag.

hjmick
02-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Shuster's been suspended for the comment. He has been suspended from appearing on all NBC News broadcasts, other than to make his apology. One this morning and one tonight.

Yurt
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Chelsea's an adult. Therefore, if she's campaigning for Mom it's because she wants to.

Shuster's just being a douche bag.

he's gunning for chris matthews job

typomaniac
02-08-2008, 04:33 PM
he's gunning for chris matthews job

Not doing real well at it, looks like.

LiberalNation
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Chris Mathews and all of MSNBC suck.

MtnBiker
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe Shuster should go on tour with the Dixie Chicks.

82Marine89
02-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I read the title and see this...

Clinton Camp Threatens to Boycott NBC Debates Because of Comments About Chelsea Being

My thoughts are...

gay

ugly

a test tube baby

Little-Acorn
02-08-2008, 08:24 PM
"pimped" was what the comment was, actually.

A typically emptyheaded, irrelevant comment. Not worthy of firing, merely ignoring.

You have to wonder if it was deliberately planned. Half a dozen more people tuning in to see what's going on, could triple MSNBC's viewership. No other conceivable reason to say it.

Yurt
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I read the title and see this...

My thoughts are...

gay

ugly

a test tube baby

if 3 is not true, it is not her fault she is the spawn of saaatan

http://chenzhen.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/church_lady.jpg

Kathianne
02-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I'll admit to not seeing Schuster. He may well have been over the top, obviously NBC thinks so.

On the other hand, let's get it strait now, Chelsea is not a 'child', she's finished college and has decided to enter politics to help her mom, not a bad deal. On the other hand, to say she's 'off limits' because she's a 'child', is stretching way too long. She's older than the Bush twins, who've had lots and lots of bad press.

Yurt
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM

A typically emptyheaded, irrelevant comment. Not worthy of firing, merely ignoring.

You have to wonder if it was deliberately planned. Half a dozen more people tuning in to see what's going on, could triple MSNBC's viewership. No other conceivable reason to say it.

you are trying to rationalize liberal behavior

*shakes no-no finger*

oh wait, here is the master:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KiIP_KDQmXs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KiIP_KDQmXs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pale Rider
02-09-2008, 12:22 PM
MSNBC's Chelsea Comment Angers Clinton

Feb 8 02:28 PM US/Eastern
By BETH FOUHY
Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE (AP) - A distasteful comment about Chelsea Clinton by an MSNBC anchor Thursday could imperil Hillary Rodham Clinton's participation in future presidential debates on the network, a Clinton spokesman said.

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson Friday excoriated MSNBC's David Shuster for suggesting the Clinton campaign had "pimped out" 27-year old Chelsea by having her place phone calls to Democratic Party superdelegates on her mother's behalf. Wolfson called the comment "beneath contempt" and disgusting.

"I, at this point, can't envision a scenario where we would continue to engage in debates on that network," he added.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UMAS3O0&show_article=1

02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
convenient timing. Obama already told her he wouldnt debate her again. he is tired of debates. and she has been the one calling for them. this just provides her with a convenient excuse to stop calling for them and save face.

Pale Rider
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
convenient timing. Obama already told her he wouldnt debate her again. he is tired of debates. and she has been the one calling for them. this just provides her with a convenient excuse to stop calling for them and save face.

She's also started calling bambam a "debate dodger," .... :laugh: - - :lame2:

red states rule
02-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Why has MSNBC not suspended Keith?

Should Olbermann Apologize for Accusing Bush of Pimping Petraeus?
By Noel Sheppard | February 9, 2008 - 19:49 ET

As NewsBusters readers are fully aware, MSNBC's David Shuster has apologized and been suspended for asking a guest on Thursday's "Tucker," "[D]oesn't it seem like Chelsea [Clinton's] sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way?"

As if that wasn't enough, on Friday evening's "Countdown," host Keith Olbermann also apologized

David has been suspended and remains only for me to apologize without limit to President Clinton and to Ms. Clinton on behalf of MSNBC. We are literally, dreadfully sorry.

If MSNBC is so sorry for Shuster's use of this phrase, shouldn't they be suspending Olbermann for a similar comment he made about President Bush and Gen. David Petraeus on September 20

Mr. Bush, you had no right to order General Petraeus to become your front man. And he obviously should have refused that order, and resigned rather than ruin his military career. The upshot is, and contrary it is to the MoveOn advertisement, he betrayed himself more than he did us. But there has been in his action a sort of reflective courage, some twisted vision of duty at a time much crisis.

The man does not understand that serving officers cannot double as serving political ops is not so much his fault as it is your good exploitable fortune. Mr. Bush, you have hidden behind the general`s skirts, and today you have hidden behind the skirts of the planted last question at a news conference to indicate, once again, that your presidency has been about the tilted playing field, about no rules for your party, in terms of character assassination, and changing the fabric of our nation, and no right for your opponents or critics to as much as respond.

That, sir, is not only un-American, it is dictatorial. And in pimping General David Petraeus, sir, in violation of everything this country has been assiduously and vigilantly against for 220 years, you have tried to blur the gleaming radioactive demarcation between the military and the political, and to portray your party as the one associated with the military and your opponents as the ones somehow antithetical to it.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/02/09/should-olbermann-apologize-accusing-bush-pimping-petraeus

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I love historical comparisons:

http://www.extrememortman.com/cable-tv/working-the-pimp/

Working The Pimp

February 10, 2008 at 9:45 am

It’s hard to read about MSNBC’s relationship to the mothership Clinton campaign these days without being reminded of Vichy France...

02-10-2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8412.html

“Nothing justifies the kind of debasing language that David Shuster used and no temporary suspension or half-hearted apology is sufficient,” Clinton wrote to NBC News President Steve Capus, who apparently had already called Clinton to personally apologize.

“I would urge you to look at the pattern of behavior on your network that seems to repeatedly lead to this sort of degrading language,” Clinton wrote. “There’s a lot at stake for our country in this election. Surely, you can do your jobs as journalists and commentators and still keep the discourse civil and appropriate.”

don't you just love it? The Clinton response to a reporter saying something they dont like? Fire him.

So much for freedom of speech and freedom of press.

As much as i dont like Senator McCain, i dont think this is better...

5stringJeff
02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Merged like threads.

Black Lance
02-10-2008, 02:03 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8412.html

don't you just love it? The Clinton response to a reporter saying something they dont like? Fire him.

So much for freedom of speech and freedom of press.

As much as i dont like Senator McCain, i dont think this is better...

Liberal politics as usual. Can you imagine the media response if the Bush administration sent angry letters to television networks demanding that they stop ridiculing the Bush twins? Every major news network would be discussing how the Bush administration is infringing on our Constitutional rights.

red states rule
02-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Liberal politics as usual. Can you imagine the media response if the Bush administration sent angry letters to television networks demanding that they stop ridiculing the Bush twins? Every major news network would be discussing how the Bush administration is infringing on our Constitutional rights.

MSNBC has smeares the Bush administration on a daily basis. Keith Overbite used the pimp comment regarding Gen David Petraeus and nothing was said about it

This is another example of the liberal medias double standards

typomaniac
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM

The Bush administration would just order the FCC to yank the licenses of the offending (or just too liberal) networks.

02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
The Bush administration would just order the FCC to yank the licenses of the offending (or just too liberal) networks.

Okay. As the media has had no problem making fun of President Bush or his family, you should be able to point to thousands of instances of the Bush administration yanking the licenses of the offending networks. Otherwise, i think your argument is rather unfounded.

typomaniac
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Okay. As the media has had no problem making fun of President Bush or his family, you should be able to point to thousands of instances of the Bush administration yanking the licenses of the offending networks. Otherwise, i think your argument is rather unfounded.

My argument was that the Bush admin doesn't need to send angry letters, as Black Lance was hypothesizing.

Surely you agree...

02-11-2008, 09:24 PM
My argument was that the Bush admin doesn't need to send angry letters, as Black Lance was hypothesizing.

Surely you agree...

i do agree. They actually respect the freedom of the Press.

red states rule
02-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Another example of the double standards at MSNBC

Pimp Gate Update: MSNBC's Ethics Don’t Extend to Bush Twins
By Noel Sheppard | February 11, 2008 - 13:20 ET

As NewsBusters has been reporting, MSNBC's reaction to David Shuster's "pimped out" Chelsea Clinton comment is an extraordinary example of the double standard that exists at this admittedly left-leaning cable network.

In fact, the goings-on since Shuster first made this remark last Thursday make it crystal clear that potentially insensitive comments directed at the Clinton family are thoroughly verboten by MSNBC, whereas derogatory statements concerning President George W. Bush are highly encouraged.

As another example of this hypocrisy, consider the following disgraceful report concerning Bush's twin daughters aired on MSNBC's "Countdown" November 28, 2006

KEITH OLBERMANN, HOST: It‘s rare when the world of politics and the world of entertainment fit together as neatly as they do in our number one story in the COUNTDOWN tonight. A tale of two pairs of girls, all of them in their mid 20‘s, all of them famous, all of them providing rich fodder for the tabloids with their latest exploits. In a moment the phenomenon of Paris Hilton and her new sidekick, Britney Spears.

But first Jenna and Barbara Bush. They have regained their party girl crowns thanks to reports from their 25th birthday celebrations in Argentina this weekend. After reports of lack security, a media frenzy and at least one lurid tale in the Argentine papers about the girls running naked down a hallway of their hotel, denied fervently by that hotel, by the way, ABC News reported the situation was so bad that the U.S. embassy asked the girls to leave, which the embassy fervently denies, by the way.

But even though the twins were meant to stay in Buenos Aires until Thursday, according to ABC News at least one, Barbara, is already back in the U.S. and that report, very flimsily backed up by the website Galkers Tip Line For Celebrity Spotting, GalkerStalker, which reports that Ms. Bush was seen with an unnamed man eating Oysters in the west village of New York City last night. No word on whether Jenna Bush is likewise cutting her holiday short or having oysters

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/02/11/pimp-gate-update-msnbcs-sensitivities-don-t-extend-bush-twins

hjmick
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Funny thing, Hillary commented the other day that Fox News had been far more fair to her and her campaign than any of the other networks.

Black Lance
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM

Please name one of the various networks that have ridiculed the Bush twins that has lost its license.

krisy
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Just to echo what a lot of you allready said,I think Hillary is overreacting. Granted,the comment wasn't very professional,but who in the liberal media actually does their job right? :coffee:

Keith O. is one of the worst by far. Davis Schuster used to work for Fox. Maybe Hillary thinks he is working undercover at MSNBC to secretely turn the network into Hillary haters and Bus lovers:lol:

typomaniac
02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Please name one of the various networks that have ridiculed the Bush twins that has lost its license.

Please (re)read post 25.

Black Lance
02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
You're missing the point. If Bush doesn't try to silence the Bush twin jokes by sending angry letters to the networks, and he doesn't do it by unleashing the FCC, then how does he attmempt to punish networks for making fun of his daughters? The answer, of course, is that he doesn't do so, and unlike Hillary Clinton, prefers to respect freedom of the press.

The point of concern here is that Hillary Clinton, who is merely a candidate in her parties primary, is already demonstrating more of an aptitude towards silencing the media than the current President.

hjmick
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Truman once penned an angry letter to a critic who gave his daughter a bad review...

typomaniac
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
You're missing the point. If Bush doesn't try to silence the Bush twin jokes by sending angry letters to the networks, and he doesn't do it by unleashing the FCC, then how does he attmempt to punish networks for making fun of his daughters? The answer, of course, is that he doesn't do so, and unlike Hillary Clinton, prefers to respect freedom of the press.

The point of concern here is that Hillary Clinton, who is merely a candidate in her parties primary, is already demonstrating more of an aptitude towards silencing the media than the current President.

Would you respect my freedom of speech if I accused you of pimping your daughter?

glockmail
02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
convenient timing. Obama already told her he wouldnt debate her again. he is tired of debates. and she has been the one calling for them. this just provides her with a convenient excuse to stop calling for them and save face. Hillary claiming to be victimized in order to avoid reality? Whouda thunk?

Black Lance
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Would you respect my freedom of speech if I accused you of pimping your daughter?

Yes, although I would not be happy about how you had chosen to use it.

02-14-2008, 01:47 PM

You are still completely ignoring the facts.

You are supporting the Clintons in their attempt to silence them claiming President Bush would do much more when the simple fact is he hasnt done jack to silence anyone.

We aren't the ones who have problems respecting freedom of speech/press. You do.

typomaniac
02-18-2008, 06:08 PM
You are still completely ignoring the facts.

You are supporting the Clintons in their attempt to silence them claiming President Bush would do much more when the simple fact is he hasnt done jack to silence anyone.

We aren't the ones who have problems respecting freedom of speech/press. You do.

I'm not the one completely ignoring the facts, av. You are.

I made it clear many times on this board that don't care for Hillary, nor do I "support" her attempts to do anything (feel free to call me a liar if you like, but I haven't sent a dime to her campaign).

My point is and was: however you feel about her, she's still a parent. And most parents would get at least a little upset about an accusation of pimping their daughters. Ergo, I don't blame her for being upset about this particular remark - even though I blame her for a number of other things.

Hope that's clear enough for you...

red states rule
02-19-2008, 05:54 AM
The double standard for PMSNBC is clear for all to see. They are no longer even trying to hide their liberal bias

Olbermann Admits 'Deep Affection' for Clintons, Bush 'Worst Person'
By Brad Wilmouth | February 19, 2008 - 02:23 ET
On Friday's Countdown show, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann admitted to feeling a "deep personal affection" for Bill and Hillary Clinton during a segment with The Washington Post's Dana Milbank as the two discussed the Clinton campaign's return to negative campaigning against Barack Obama. Expressing discomfort at having to observe that the Clintons "sound angry," Olbermann declared his feelings for the Clintons in his second question to Milbank: "I am loathe to use this next phrase, to even put it in words. I mean, I have deep personal affection for both of the Clintons. I don't think that's some awful revelation, and I don't think that's awful. ... They sound angry. Are they angry? Are they angry at Obama, at the media, at the voters?" (Transcripts follow)

By contrast, not only did Olbermann call President Bush a "fascist" who was engaging in "a form of terrorism against his own people" to gain political support on Thursday's show, but on the Monday February 18 show, Olbermann named Bush "Worst Person in the World" in response to quotes, run in the conservative Washington Times, by analysts from the Brookings Institution and the Cato Institute who questioned Bush's claims of urgency in extending the Protect America Act.

As Olbermann named Bush "Worst Person," he labeled Brookings and Cato both as "conservative" think tanks, although the ideological leaning of Brookings is viewed by some as "liberal," while Cato would best be described as "libertarian" rather than strictly "conservative." Olbermann also edited the article's opening sentence to make it appear the writer, Sean Lengell, was voicing agreement with the contention that the law's expiration would "have little effect on national security despite warnings to the contrary by the White House and Capitol Hill Republican leaders," although the full sentence shows Lengell was describing the views of his sources rather than his own views.

Lengell's first line was:

Many intelligence scholars and analysts outside the government say that today's expiration of certain temporary domestic wiretapping laws will have little effect on national security, despite warnings to the contrary by the White House and Capitol Hill Republican leaders.

Olbermann edited the line as he began his attack on President Bush:

Just how much Mr. Bush has been lying about the expiration of the so-called Protect America Act was not really clear until a newspaper article was printed on Saturday morning. It began with this from the writer: "...today's expiration of certain temporary domestic wiretapping laws will have little effect on national security, despite warnings to the contrary by the White House and Capitol Hill Republican leaders."

Although the article did seem to lean more toward favoring those who disputed the Bush administration, Lengell did include some of the arguments used by Republicans favoring the law's extension.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth/2008/02/19/olbermann-admits-deep-affection-clintons-bush-worst-person