PDA

View Full Version : Protest voting

02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I've been thinking about it and I was planning it but i wasnt sure I was going to say anything. But I am still planning to vote for Romney in my primary.

See I cannot support Huckabee or McCain for the nominee. So I am going to protest by voting for Romney since I have always thought he is the best choice. Who knows, maybe if a few more people think like I do, Romney can pick up some more delegates. And they might be useful if by some random chance Huckabee catches steam and sends us to a brokered convention anyway.

If you havent voted yet and you dont like McCain or Huckabee. I suggest casting a protest vote too. You don't have to vote for Romney. vote for whatever candidate you wanted to or vote for yourself. Who knows maybe there will be enough votes to still influence something.

5stringJeff
02-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I've been thinking about it and I was planning it but i wasnt sure I was going to say anything. But I am still planning to vote for Romney in my primary.

See I cannot support Huckabee or McCain for the nominee. So I am going to protest by voting for Romney since I have always thought he is the best choice. Who knows, maybe if a few more people think like I do, Romney can pick up some more delegates. And they might be useful if by some random chance Huckabee catches steam and sends us to a brokered convention anyway.

If you havent voted yet and you dont like McCain or Huckabee. I suggest casting a protest vote too. You don't have to vote for Romney. vote for whatever candidate you wanted to or vote for yourself. Who knows maybe there will be enough votes to still influence something.

That's my plan too... but I think it's obvious who I'm voting for. :)

02-09-2008, 07:35 PM

yeah. and im all for you doing that man.

LiberalNation
02-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Hillary for the primary but if she loses I might vote McCain in the general election or not. It depends on who he chooses as vp.

Man Kentucky's dem primary may actally matter this year if even just a little.

Yurt
02-09-2008, 08:35 PM

obama?

:coffee:

think it would be interesting to see a thread about RP, would like to learn more about him

Mr. P
02-09-2008, 08:53 PM

There were many protest votes cast for Ross too. That got us BJ Bill. On the other hand, what choice is there this go round?

Mr. P
02-09-2008, 08:57 PM
obama?

think it would be interesting to see a thread about RP, would like to learn more about him

Isolationist, but I'm sure he could be convinced that dog won't hunt..It's more his wacko supporters I have a problem with.

manu1959
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Isolationist, but I'm sure he could be convinced that dog won't hunt..It's more his wacko supporters I have a problem with.

i like ron paul and is wacko isolationist america first supporters....basically cuz i am one.....penguin and gop convinced me...

Black Lance
02-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Between job outsourcing, terrorism, illegal immigration and the war in Iraq, isolationist sentiments are growing in the United States. The longing you can hear in many Americans as they remember the old days of "fortress America" are audible: people wish they could retrieve some of our former security from an increasingly dangerous world. None of those things are going away, but they do need more time to make a deeper impact on the public mood before they can propel a politician like Paul to national prominence.

Ron Paul is, in my opinion, the right man for the right job at the right time. The only problem is that too few people have both the interest and the education to understand why this is so.

We are seeing the results of the lack of these two factors in the current election cycle: show of hands, how many people on this board honestly think that Clinton, Obama, Romney or McCain are the best people the US has to offer for the position of leader of the free world?

Mr. P
02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
i like ron paul and is wacko isolationist america first supporters....basically cuz i am one.....penguin and gop convinced me...

I like a great deal of the libertarian platform...just not all of it. They just need the right guy and they very well may make it. Ron ain't the guy..IMO.

Oh...yer no more of a follower than I am, NO SALE!:laugh2:

02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
There were many protest votes cast for Ross too. That got us BJ Bill. On the other hand, what choice is there this go round?

exactly. what choice is there?

02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Between job outsourcing, terrorism, illegal immigration and the war in Iraq, isolationist sentiments are growing in the United States. The longing you can hear in many Americans as they remember the old days of "fortress America" are audible: people wish they could retrieve some of our former security from an increasingly dangerous world. None of those things are going away, but they do need more time to make a deeper impact on the public mood before they can propel a politician like Paul to national prominence.

Ron Paul is, in my opinion, the right man for the right job at the right time. The only problem is that too few people have both the interest and the education to understand why this is so.

We are seeing the results of the lack of these two factors in the current election cycle: show of hands, how many people on this board honestly think that Clinton, Obama, Romney or McCain are the best people the US has to offer for the position of leader of the free world?

I actually do think Romney is the best.

Dilloduck
02-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Why do you call it protest voting ? Isn't the idea for everyone to vote for who they think would be the best president ? It's not our fault if the parties don't get it right.

Black Lance
02-09-2008, 11:16 PM
I actually do think Romney is the best.

You can't think of a single person you would rather have in the oval office than Romney???

pegwinn
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM

Not isolationist, non-interventionalist. He doesn't see the need to close America, only to let the rest of the world go to hell if it wishes. Over time, all radicals become mainstream.

His supporters come in many flavors. There are whackjobs just like the extreme left (Treehumpinnaturenazis) and right (killemallunlesstheyworshiplikeme), then there are the quiet, unassuming, humble middle class folks like me.

Mr. P
02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Not isolationist, non-interventionalist. He doesn't see the need to close America, only to let the rest of the world go to hell if it wishes. Over time, all radicals become mainstream.

His supporters come in many flavors. There are whackjobs just like the extreme left (Treehumpinnaturenazis) and right (killemallunlesstheyworshiplikeme), then there are the quiet, unassuming, humble middle class folks like me.

I know..problem is those that are the loudest are the wackos. They aren't doing the Libertarian movement any good..just like the extreme right wackos have hurt the conservatives. The left has the same problem. I think it's it's time to tell these folks to sit down and STFU.

Kathianne
02-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I know..problem is those that are the loudest are the wackos. They aren't doing the Libertarian movement any good..just like the extreme right wackos have hurt the conservatives. The left has the same problem. I think it's it's time to tell these folks to sit down and STFU.

Yep, but they don't listen. As for RP whackos, they seem to be not only the loudest, but also the organizers and contributers to an extent not seen with others. For all of McCain's liabilities, I've not seen him writing or having others write questionable newsletters, taking $900k in yearly profits and claiming he didn't no about the content and didn't agree with it.

Mr. P
02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Yep, but they don't listen. As for RP whackos, they seem to be not only the loudest, but also the organizers and contributers to an extent not seen with others. For all of McCain's liabilities, I've not seen him writing or having others write questionable newsletters, taking $900k in yearly profits and claiming he didn't no about the content and didn't agree with it.

McCain could be a saint...but he's still a RINO. That trumps it all.

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 12:18 AM
McCain could be a saint...but he's still a RINO. That trumps it all.

I don't think he's a saint. I don't like him much and wouldn't actively work for his election. I'm going the local government route and Congressional elections here. I agree he's at least a RINO regarding many domestic issues. Bottom line, he'll be better than Hillary or Barak on the issues I really care about. WOT, judicial appointments, and pork.

However he is on the right side of WOT. He has been on the right side of pork. The first is most important to me, the second is something I think can easily be addressed and makes sense to most of the electorate.

pegwinn
02-10-2008, 12:26 AM
My number one domestic concern is taxes. On that, he's as bad as any of the democrats.

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 12:27 AM
My number one domestic concern is taxes. On that, he's as bad as any of the democrats.

Hillary or Barak would be an improvement over McCain? Are those other issues not important to you?

Mr. P
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't think he's a saint. I don't like him much and wouldn't actively work for his election. I'm going the local government route and Congressional elections here. I agree he's at least a RINO regarding many domestic issues. Bottom line, he'll be better than Hillary or Barak on the issues I really care about. WOT, judicial appointments, and pork.

However he is on the right side of WOT. He has been on the right side of pork. The first is most important to me, the second is something I think can easily be addressed and makes sense to most of the electorate.

Honestly, this is the worst group I've ever seen in my voting lifetime. I really don't know what I'll do this go round, I don't like any of the front runners.

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Honestly, this is the worst group I've ever seen in my voting lifetime. I really don't know what I'll do this go round, I don't like any of the front runners.

You don't hear me disagreeing with you.

pegwinn
02-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Hillary or Barak would be an improvement over McCain? Are those other issues not important to you?

No, they would be worse. Other issues are important as well. But, I disagree with all the pols on the WOT and I think McC is lying about his change of heart vis a vis immigration.

My vote goes to Paul. At least then I can look at myself in the mirror the next day.

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 12:36 AM
No, they would be worse. Other issues are important as well. But, I disagree with all the pols on the WOT and I think McC is lying about his change of heart vis a vis immigration.

My vote goes to Paul. At least then I can look at myself in the mirror the next day.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I'll vote McCain, but IL will go Obama. I don't know what state you are in, but a vote for RP will be a vote for whoever loses in your state.

pegwinn
02-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I'll vote McCain, but IL will go Obama. I don't know what state you are in, but a vote for RP will be a vote for whoever loses in your state.

I understand the outcome and strategy and tactics that go into it.

See I view it much more simplistically. IMHO a vote for Paul is simply a vote for Paul. It isn't against MCC or the others.

If I puzzled that much about it, then in addition to being ashamed for compromising, I would have a huge headache :laugh2:

Yurt
02-10-2008, 12:57 AM

might be, but the vote has to start sometime, doesn't it? if you could vote in a tp, would you?

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 01:03 AM
might be, but the vote has to start sometime, doesn't it? if you could vote in a tp, would you?

If there weren't the issues on the table that are, say if it were 1976 or 1980, I could see this kind of vote. However, we are not at that type of time and place. Now, I'm not going to say anyone should see things as I do or act as I do. They wouldn't even if I tried, and for good reason. We all have to make our own decisions based on our own parameters.

If this is your time for a protest vote, have at it. Many I believe will be right there with you.

I don't think we'll see viable 3rd parties soon, if ever. They certainly have and will play spoilers though. As Jeff or Pegg wrote earlier today, more likely to see one of the parties co-opted and morph into a new party. As things are today, more likely GOP, but never underestimate the ability of DNC to cause a split, like MI and FL punishments. :laugh2:

Yurt
02-10-2008, 01:15 AM
If there weren't the issues on the table that are, say if it were 1976 or 1980, I could see this kind of vote. However, we are not at that type of time and place. Now, I'm not going to say anyone should see things as I do or act as I do. They wouldn't even if I tried, and for good reason. We all have to make our own decisions based on our own parameters.

If this is your time for a protest vote, have at it. Many I believe will be right there with you.

I don't think we'll see viable 3rd parties soon, if ever. They certainly have and will play spoilers though. As Jeff or Pegg wrote earlier today, more likely to see one of the parties co-opted and morph into a new party. As things are today, more likely GOP, but never underestimate the ability of DNC to cause a split, like MI and FL punishments. :laugh2:

I don't see my vote as a "protest" vote. It is my vote, simple and plain. I voted romney in the ca primary.

You're probably right about tp's, and as jeff pointed out, it seems this country runs with the two party system. i find that the older i get, the more i disagree with the two party system. look how many cons are pissed at mclame. if there was a tp, the cons might have a vote that counts.

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 01:21 AM
I don't see my vote as a "protest" vote. It is my vote, simple and plain. I voted romney in the ca primary.

You're probably right about tp's, and as jeff pointed out, it seems this country runs with the two party system. i find that the older i get, the more i disagree with the two party system. look how many cons are pissed at mclame. if there was a tp, the cons might have a vote that counts.

I voted for Romney in IL primary, but he quit on Thursday. I wish there was a better alternative, but Huckabee for me is worse than McCain, even if he had a shot at nomination.

Yurt
02-10-2008, 01:24 AM
I voted for Romney in IL primary, but he quit on Thursday. I wish there was a better alternative, but Huckabee for me is worse than McCain, even if he had a shot at nomination.

isn't that why a tp is needed?

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 01:28 AM
isn't that why a tp is needed?

Again, I'm not keen on non-viable. I don't like the spoiler roll either, ala Perot. Now could far right co-opt the GOP? Perhaps and turn it into a second party. It would be however a minority party for a long time, is that the way to go? I dunno.

If it became far right, as in appealing to some of the Huckabee and RP supporters, it would not be what I'd want to belong to. I'd bet that it would pull the DNC to the right, but not where the GOP is today. Be careful what you wish for.

Pale Rider
02-10-2008, 02:56 AM
My vote isn't a protest vote, suicide vote, or against vote. This time, with no republican in the race I can support, (that will be there in the end), I will write my vote in for Ron Paul, and just as Pegwin said, I'll be able to look at myself in the mirror the next day knowing I voted my conscience, and didn't compromise or sell out.

But just to add, if this trend the republican party is setting continues, pushing these RINO's at us, the party is doomed.

red states rule
02-10-2008, 08:21 AM
My vote isn't a protest vote, suicide vote, or against vote. This time, with no republican in the race I can support, (that will be there in the end), I will write my vote in for Ron Paul, and just as Pegwin said, I'll be able to look at myself in the mirror the next day knowing I voted my conscience, and didn't compromise or sell out.

But just to add, if this trend the republican party is setting continues, pushing these RINO's at us, the party is doomed.

Here is yet another conservative telling us we are wrong about McCain

What the hell is happening to our party?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120251661161755395.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Dilloduck
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120251661161755395.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Both parties suck because they suppress third party participation. One has a better chance to select a leader that he likes if he has 3 candidates to chose from rather than 2.

red states rule
02-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Both parties suck because they suppress third party participation. One has a better chance to select a leader that he likes if he has 3 candidates to chose from rather than 2.

I believe the real problem with my party is, many are putting winning ahead of principals

PostmodernProphet
02-11-2008, 06:18 AM

???.....how can you say that, his voting record is consistently anti-tax and has been for 20+ years, the only thing he is more consistent on is his anti-spending position......

red states rule
02-11-2008, 06:28 AM
???.....how can you say that, his voting record is consistently anti-tax and has been for 20+ years, the only thing he is more consistent on is his anti-spending position......

Then why did he vote against the Bush tax cuts?

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Yeah well... that's why my decision to leave the republican party, after 35 years, is pretty much a done deal. It no longer supports candidates that represent my conservative ideals.

gabosaurus
02-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Would frustrated Republicans consider crossing over to the Dem primary and voting against Hillary?

02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Would frustrated Republicans consider crossing over to the Dem primary and voting against Hillary?

some might. I wouldnt even if i could. Im a Republican. you guys figure out who your candidate is.

Immanuel
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM

You don't think that Democrats would do the same thing, for instance to get McCain nominated rather than Huckabee or Romney?

Immie

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 01:25 PM

There's been talk of it Gab... "suicide voting."

The primary reasoning is, if we're to have a liberal in the White House one way or the other, and they happen to screw up the country, then it's better for the republicans to have that be a democrat.

PostmodernProphet
02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Then why did he vote against the Bush tax cuts?

as he stated, because he wanted a commitment to cutting spending first.....

02-11-2008, 01:34 PM
as he stated, because he wanted a commitment to cutting spending first.....

thats not what he said at the time.

-Cp
02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
obama?

http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm

PostmodernProphet
02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
thats not what he said at the time.

????....from page 192 of this link

http://books.google.com/books?id=mEpReQMCgBAC&pg=PA192&lpg=PA192&dq=mccain+votes+against+tax+cut&source=web&ots=wUBiHFaQq2&sig=xUWlz9LNdtfqRdRM6Zu-Vn1ArRI

He proposed an amendment to the tax cut proposal which would have reduced the cut to the top tier of tax payers by 1% and increase the cuts to lower tiers accordingly.....it failed to pass 49-49.....

from page 134, same link...

during the campaign for the nomination McCain had taken issue with Bush's tax cut proposal, advocating for a smaller overall tax cut that favored the middle class......

he was always pretty consistent in calling for tax cuts, he simply argued that the cuts proposed were too much unless spending was cut.......

pegwinn
02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/dieckmann/080210

Interesting opinion piece. It's a long read. So, you might get a beer, soda, etc.