PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan On McCain and Decisions

Kathianne
02-10-2008, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't come close to calling it an endorsement, but there is some there, there:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/02/a_rapprochement_with_the_right.html

February 09, 2008
A Rapprochement With the Right?
By Patrick Buchanan

On Thursday, at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, Sen. John McCain stood before thousands of conservatives he has done his level best to anger and alienate for a decade -- to ask for their support.

And he made a not unconvincing case.

What he said essentially was this. We have fought each other in the past, and we have fought side by side. And I admit to having made my share of mistakes. But if we do not work together, we lose the presidency. And if we lose the presidency, your causes will be lost, as well as my last chance to be president.

But if you will work with me, many of the causes for which you have fought -- one more justice like Roberts and Alito, retention of the Bush tax cuts, further reductions in tax rates, a more secure border -- will be taken up as the causes of my presidency.

Moreover, my door will be open and your voices heard. And none of this will happen if Hillary or Barack Obama wins, which will happen if we do not join forces and fight together.

Bottom line: If we don't hang together, we all hang separately. If my end of the dinghy sinks, yours will not stay afloat. And if I lose, you get your pound of flesh, but we will both be out in the cold as a Democratic Congress and president undo what was right about the Bush presidency as well as what was wrong about the Bush presidency.

So it is your call.

In 1964, as an even more acrimonious battle for the GOP ended at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, where the right hooted and booed Nelson Rockefeller, another Arizonan was far less compromising than John McCain. Barry Goldwater told that convention of conservatives that had just nominated him: "Anyone who joins us in all sincerity, we welcome. Those who do not care for our cause, we don't expect to enter our ranks in any case."

Conservatives now have a decision to make, though months before they have to make it. That decision: Is it better to cede the White House to the Democrats than have McCain become president of the United States and leader of the Republican Party and the nation?

Many have already made that decision: Better, they argue, to lose to Hillary than win with McCain. Better to be principled than pragmatic. As John F. Kennedy once said, "Sometimes party loyalty asks too much."

If the issue were simply, "Does McCain deserve the support of conservatives?" the answer would be simple and emphatic: No. Indeed, John McCain has fully earned the repudiation he received in the Arizona primary, when Mitt Romney ran far ahead among conservatives.

However, there is a question other than whether McCain deserves the support of the right, and it is this: Would it better serve the causes in which conservatives believe to have McCain in the White House or to have Clinton there?

There is another consideration. McCain has said he will stay in Iraq another 100 years if necessary, that Russia should be thrown out of the G-8, that he will do whatever it takes to halt Iran's nuclear enrichment program. He has told us: "There's going to be other wars. ... I'm sorry to tell you, there's going to be other wars. We will never surrender, but there will be other wars."

John McCain seeks to be a war president. Indeed, it is the role of commander in chief of a nation at war that seems to commend itself most to John McCain. But is that good for America, let alone the right?

Pale Rider
02-10-2008, 03:02 AM
In other words... mccain is saying, "no, I haven't always been a good republican and loyal to the party. I'm known for sticking it to you and being a maverick, and didn't give a damn about what you thought. Now I'm begging you to compromise your diginity and compromise yourself, and vote for me."

I got one thing to say to juan mccain... FUCK OFF.

stephanie
02-10-2008, 03:15 AM
McCain should already see.....Conservatives hate his guts...and he earned it...the Republican party but up this old hateful little man against a half white-half black man(but he's black), and a supposed "woman" candidate...
They said they don't need the conservative vote to win already, so let him go on and find out...:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 03:21 AM
The subject was about what Buchanan said, pr. Have you had just a tad too much smoke?

In other words... mccain is saying, "no, I haven't always been a good republican and loyal to the party. I'm known for sticking it to you and being a maverick, and didn't give a damn about what you thought. Now I'm begging you to compromise your diginity and compromise yourself, and vote for me."

I got one thing to say to juan mccain... FUCK OFF.

I don't think McCain ever said any such thing. Can you clarify?

Pale Rider
02-10-2008, 03:43 AM
The subject was about what Buchanan said, pr. Have you had just a tad too much smoke?

I don't think McCain ever said any such thing. Can you clarify?

I watched the mccain speech to CPAC myself Pb. I know what he said, and it's just like I put it, in layman's terms.

And if you're drinkin' tonight, you better pass me a cold one... :alcoholic:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 03:53 AM
If you ain't drinkin' Busch you ain't drinkin' beer but that's only a casual observation, pr.

I watched the mccain speech to CPAC myself Pb. I know what he said, and it's just like I put it, in layman's terms.

And if you're drinkin' tonight, you better pass me a cold one... :alcoholic:

I think you misquoted him and I think you misunderstood everything he purports to convey but I can't put it in the so-called laymans terms as you represent.

What's your pleasure, cowgirl? It's on me.

stephanie
02-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Pale.......I think he just called you a GIRL...........:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-10-2008, 04:56 AM
What are you saying, staphy? Is pr not the most feminine thing you have ever seen in your life?

Pale.......I think he just called you a GIRL...........:laugh2:

Go to the Lounge and have another Cape Cod on me, staphy. I'll deal with pr on my own terms. tehehehehehehehehhehehe, but I love your sense of adversities!!!!!!!!!!! Is there an emoticon for shit-stirring?

Pale Rider
02-10-2008, 02:16 PM
If you ain't drinkin' Busch you ain't drinkin' beer but that's only a casual observation, pr.

I think you misquoted him and I think you misunderstood everything he purports to convey but I can't put it in the so-called laymans terms as you represent.

What's your pleasure, cowgirl? It's on me.

I drank enough Busch beer while I lived in Tampa to float a battleship Pb, only because it was cheap. The stuff is piss water, some of the worst I've ever tasted. But if you're buying, get me a Harp.

As far as what I got from the mccain speech... I've already told you. If you think he said something different, then quit just telling me I'm wrong and tell me what it is YOU think he said... homo.

Black Lance
02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Okay, let's follow-up Buchanan's logic. Suppose our choices in November are Hillary Clinton or John McCain. What choice does that really leave us with?

Clinton: pro-abortion, anti-gun, a gay marriage supporter. She will do nothing to curb illegal immigration. She'll put leftist judges in the USSC, and may or may not lead us out of Iraq. She will raise taxes and spend the revenues on social programs designed to expand the Democratic voter base. We can also expect plenty of Clinton style corruption and abuse of power.

McCain: probably will do nothing on the abortion issue, will oppose gun controls, will oppose gay marriage. May or may not actually appoint more justices like Scalia or Thomas to the Supreme Court. He won't do anything about illegal immigration, claims he will keep us in Iraq, and openly admits that he doesn't understand economics very well.

It's hard to imagine someone worse for conservative values than Hillary Clinton, but letting her ruin the country for awhile might re-energize the conservative base after eight longs years of the Bush administration.

Given a choice between Clinton v. McCain, any given conservatives vote will probably be decided by whether you want to continue the war in Iraq. If the answer to that question is "yes", there is nothing to be gained by a Hillary Presidency, except perhaps the ability to blame the DNC for her disastrous Presidency. If you want US forces out of Iraq, then your vote seems to become a question of priorities: how much are you willing to sacrifice to get the US out of the desert?

Ultimately, the final analysis of the two candidates probably won't matter. Most Americans will consciously vote for whichever candidate has a (D) or (R) next to his or her name. And with conservative Republicans standing little to gain from a McCain Presidency, and liberal Democrats standing everything to gain from an ultra-PC Clinton Presidency, it isn't hard to guess which side will get the voter base out.

The only remaining 'X factor' in the current situation is what impact the candidates selection for Vice President might have on the race.