PDA

View Full Version : Man-made Global Warming?

-Cp
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Was Newsweek wrong back then?

Was Newsweek wrong? Or is it more factual that the Earth has been cooling and warming without man's interference?

http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

A PDF of the original is available here.
http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

Hagbard Celine
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
It's not new for Newsweek to be wrong.

darin
02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
It's not new for Newsweek to be wrong.

Especially when they report ANYTHING which libs don't already believe ;)

:D

The ClayTaurus
02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Stating that the world is heating and cooling on it's own does nothing to prove or disprove that man is contributing to the heating and cooling.

A ball will roll down a hill because of gravity, but if I push it one way, it will roll faster; the other, slower.

Powerman
02-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Stating that the world is heating and cooling on it's own does nothing to prove or disprove that man is contributing to the heating and cooling.

A ball will roll down a hill because of gravity, but if I push it one way, it will roll faster; the other, slower.

Right. So this raises a few questions:

How do you quantify the effects of global warming with respect to man made global warming and natural cycles?

Are we causing 5%, 12%, 95% or are we actually adding enough CO2 into the atmosphere to overcome a cooling period? Who knows. No one has attempted to quantify the effects of man.

Secondly, the really funny question is : what is the temperature on earth supposed to be? That question will NEVER be answered by the alarmists.

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Right. So this raises a few questions:

How do you quantify the effects of global warming with respect to man made global warming and natural cycles?

Are we causing 5%, 12%, 95% or are we actually adding enough CO2 into the atmosphere to overcome a cooling period? Who knows. No one has attempted to quantify the effects of man.

Secondly, the really funny question is : what is the temperature on earth supposed to be? That question will NEVER be answered by the alarmists.42.

02-22-2007, 12:19 PM

The tempature better be higher than 42.

The ClayTaurus
02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
The tempature better be higher than 42.Depends on the scale.

Hobbit
02-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Considering how global warming alarmists resemble more closely the medieval Catholic church than any respectable scientific community, I'm disinclined to subscribe to their beliefs as raw science.

Think about it, they have:
A Pope (Al Gore)
Saints
Eden
A return to Eden for the faithful
Clergy
Indulgances (carbon credits)

Not to mention that it seems to be more important that you believe what they say than it is for you to actually do something about it. If you have all of the energy saving, emmissions cutting stuff you can own because you want to be economical, and believe global warming is a farce, you're in the same league as a Holocaust denier, but if you tool around this country in a private jet and huge cars, billowing crap into the atmoshpere at an alarming rate, but you tell everybody that the end of the world is near, then you're a saint (or the Pope).

02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I think the fact that global warming is based on "consensus" of scientists makes it clear that its not science

Science requires no consensus, its either true or it isnt.

KarlMarx
02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
OK... I have to ask this question

We all know that global warming is a problem (well, actually not, but let's assume it is)
And we all know that C02 is bad, but methane is 23 times worse when it comes to greenhouse effect
And we all know that many extreme environmentalists want us to eat less meat and become vegetarians to save the environment and improve our health
But what are we supposed to get our protein from? Beans!
But what does eating beans do? Exactly!
And what are those smelly things made of? Methane!

So, eat a low fiber diet and save the world from global warming.

02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Let's just be grateful that the environmentalist wackos haven't taken their CO2 is evil concept to its logical conclusion. Because the only way to eliminate CO2 from the air is mass genocide of human beings.

Nuc
02-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Are you guys 12 years old? Because if you're my age (40's) or older you've seen global warming during your lifetime, particularly if you live anywhere in the north. Duh!

And if you think reducing greenhouse gasses ISN'T a good idea you are idiots.

02-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Are you guys 12 years old? Because if you're my age (40's) or older you've seen global warming during your lifetime, particularly if you live anywhere in the north. Duh!

I live quite north. things are as cold as they have ever been.

How exactly do you see global warming? And more to the point how do you reduce greenhouse gases that are released simply because we exist?

darin
02-22-2007, 04:28 PM

There's NO way you are over 40. That's a hoot. :)

KarlMarx
02-22-2007, 04:36 PM

Yes, but is it man made?

Nuc
02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I live quite north. things are as cold as they have ever been.

How exactly do you see global warming? And more to the point how do you reduce greenhouse gases that are released simply because we exist?

Global warming is a bad term. It doesn't mean it's warmer temperatures everywhere all the time. It should more accurately be called "global climatic disruption" and it is happening everywhere.

Nuc
02-22-2007, 05:12 PM
There's NO way you are over 40. That's a hoot. :)

Upon what do you base this assumption, Einstein? And don't say the maturity of my posts, because you would be a fetus if that were the criteria.

Nuc
02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, but is it man made?

Let's see-----massive pollution............rapid change in climate patterns............Duh!

Or we could just trust the oil interests.

KarlMarx
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Let's see-----massive pollution............rapid change in climate patterns............Duh!

Or we could just trust the oil interests.
Just because two things happen at the same time does not mean that one is caused by the other. They may be two unrelated events that happen to be occuring at the same time.

The Medieval Warm Period also produced global scale warming, but hundreds of years before the Industrial Revolution.

The climate of the Earth has changed drastically over the past million or so years. We did have several ice ages, the last one ended about 10,000 years ago. So obviously, there was global warming 10,000 years ago.

By the way, America is one of the cleanest countries on Earth. China and India are huge polluters and are not being pressured into doing anything about this problem... maybe you ought to be arguing with them about it.

stephanie
02-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Upon what do you base this assumption, Einstein? And don't say the maturity of my posts, because you would be a fetus if that were the criteria.

This is what I do when I want to get a point across....:wine:

Nuc
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Just because two things happen at the same time does not mean that one is caused by the other. They may be two unrelated events that happen to be occuring at the same time.

My wife is a high level scientist, therefore I associate with many scientists on a regular basis and they all think it's manmade. Maybe they're stupid.

But I think better safe than sorry, if it is manmade, reduce emissions. If it's not manmade and we reduce emissions, no harm done.

To say it "might" not be manmade as an excuse not to reduce emissions, and to keep polluting indiscriminately because it "might" be natural is lazy.

You are definitely right about the major threat from India and China. And while America may be a somewhat clean country we still use massive percentages of resources per capita compared to the rest of the world.

manu1959
02-22-2007, 07:57 PM
My wife is a high level scientist, therefore I associate with many scientists on a regular basis and they all think it's manmade. Maybe they're stupid.

But I think better safe than sorry, if it is manmade, reduce emissions. If it's not manmade and we reduce emissions, no harm done.

To say it "might" not be manmade as an excuse not to reduce emissions, and to keep polluting indiscriminately because it "might" be natural is lazy.

You are definitely right about the major threat from India and China. And while America may be a somewhat clean country we still use massive percentages of resources per capita compared to the rest of the world.

true ... in 10 years china will pass us by and then you can complain about them ....

Dilloduck
02-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Let's just be grateful that the environmentalist wackos haven't taken their CO2 is evil concept to its logical conclusion. Because the only way to eliminate CO2 from the air is mass genocide of human beings.

They're getting there ! Cigarette smokers are already the "fags" of the New Age Religion. We have our own "pews" we have to smoke in already and people scowl when I light up. :smoke: (and I was born to be a smoker too!) :coffee: