Kathianne
02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
When is Bush out?

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/27280.html

rss
Permanent residency permits to flow without all background checks
By Marisa Taylor | McClatchy Newspapers

* Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008

WASHINGTON — In a major policy shift aimed at reducing a ballooning immigration backlog, the Department of Homeland Security is preparing to grant permanent residency to tens of thousands of applicants before the FBI completes a required background check.

Those eligible are immigrants whose fingerprints have cleared the FBI database of criminal convictions and arrests, but whose names have not yet cleared the FBI's criminal or intelligence files after six months of waiting.

The immigrants who are granted permanent status, more commonly known as getting their green cards, will be expected eventually to clear the FBI's name check. If they don't, their legal status will be revoked and they'll be deported.

The decision to issue green cards demonstrates how federal agencies are struggling to keep up with surging immigration applications while applying stringent post-Sept. 11th background checks.

About 150,000 green card and naturalization applicants have been delayed by the FBI name check, with 30,000 held up more than three years.

DHS officials are determining exactly how many are affected, but confirmed that tens of thousands of people could be eligible for the expedited procedure. The new policy was outlined in an internal memo obtained by McClatchy Newspapers. Officials said the policy will be posted this week on the department's website....

PostmodernProphet
02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
how about hiring four or five thousand people to do name checks?.......

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Nothing like holding the door open and welcoming in every kind of illegal alien the world has to offer..... Good Lord..... this country is fucked.

Monkeybone
02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
amen to that Pale. if it ain't one thing then it is another. when looking at America, i have gone from opptimistic to pessimistic (sorry if i butchered the spelling). now it's like i am waiting for the straw to break the camels back.