PDA

View Full Version : amy winehouse is a drugged out disgrace and is what is wrong with music

actsnoblemartin
02-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Some super skinny slut, or some nice eyed boy who's music is terrible, but million of morons buy it?

amy winehouse wins best record of the year, are you fucking kidding me?.

The grammys can go fuck themselves, its nothing but a crap fest.

Foo fighters should have won!

Sitarro
02-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Some super skinny slut, or some nice eyed boy who's music is terrible, but million of morons buy it?

amy winehouse wins best record of the year, are you fucking kidding me?.

The grammys can go fuck themselves, its nothing but a crap fest.

Foo fighters should have won!

I have to agree with that, she looked like a zombie. I was pleased that a jazz album was acknowledged but that jerk Herbie Hancock had to bring up that dufuss Obammy..... ruined the moment for me.

Pale Rider
02-11-2008, 04:30 AM
I have one Amy Winehouse CD, Back In Black. I've listened to it a couple times. It's certainly nothing special.

diuretic
02-11-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm a bit upset the lass has smeared the clean-living contemporary music scene :lol::cheers2:

dan
02-11-2008, 12:25 PM

:gay::gay::gay::gay:

Winehouse's music is tolerable at best. She's famous because she's a drug-addled psycho bitch, simple as that. That's what it takes to be famous these days, martin, hadn't you heard? Just ask Britney or Lindsay or Paris or Kate Moss.

gabosaurus
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Amy Winehouse being a drunken crackwhore does not bother me. There are tons of performers who are drugged out.
I am bothered that Winehouse has attracted so much attention (including five undeserved Grammy awards) for producing mediocre blues music. Her rebellious "fuck off" image draws more attention to herself than the music. The press picked it up and presented her as a modern day Aretha Franklin, which is pure sacrilege.

actsnoblemartin
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
you know what i meant :laugh2:

Few women are gonna buy music from some fat balding middle aged guy,

and few men are gonna buy music from some fat, ugly broad

:poke: sad but true.

Winehouse's music is tolerable at best. She's famous because she's a drug-addled psycho bitch, simple as that. That's what it takes to be famous these days, martin, hadn't you heard? Just ask Britney or Lindsay or Paris or Kate Moss.

retiredman
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I bet martin would have said the same thing about Billie Holliday!:lol:

actsnoblemartin
02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
do you understand what i meant?

I am not saying i agree with it, but its obvious music is packaged more on looks, and less on talent.

thats all i was saying.

Sitarro
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Amy Winehouse being a drunken crackwhore does not bother me. There are tons of performers who are drugged out.
I am bothered that Winehouse has attracted so much attention (including five undeserved Grammy awards) for producing mediocre blues music. Her rebellious "fuck off" image draws more attention to herself than the music. The press picked it up and presented her as a modern day Aretha Franklin, which is pure sacrilege.

Aretha! Please, she has never been a singer, she's a screamer. What did she ever do that was worth listening to. Between her, Ray Charles, B.B. King, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash ....... you have some of the most overrated performers ever.

Sitarro
02-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Overrated.

gabosaurus
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I hear the Beatles are overrated as well. :laugh2:

Yurt
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
kanye west finally winning after crying like a ninny for - how many years - is proof enough the grammy's have no authority

actsnoblemartin
02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
well said rap music stands for

recycled
annoying
pathetic

music

kanye west finally winning after crying like a ninny for - how many years - is proof enough the grammy's have no authority

Abbey Marie
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM

She reminds me of a recycled Courtney Love. And going nowhere fast.

Why do you watch these stupid award shows anyway? Your time is better spent watching paint dry.

diuretic
02-12-2008, 03:41 AM
Winehouse can't be a real rock star...she doesn't look like she could pick up a tv in a hotel room and throw it through the window :laugh2:

stephanie
02-12-2008, 04:08 AM
sigh.....I guess I'm getten old...who is Amy Winehouse..??

What happened to the Eagles, Bob Seger, Marshall Tucker Band, etc, etc....:laugh2:

dan
02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Why do you watch these stupid award shows anyway? Your time is better spent watching paint dry.

I didn't. Just commenting on Winehouse.

hjmick
02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
I like Winehouse. Well, I like her music, I don't know her personally. Her voice is kind of a throwback to the '30s and '40s swing/jazz singers.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I didn't. Just commenting on Winehouse.

Cool. :beer:

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Good thing Janis Joplin died so young, so that we would not have to face the thought that the drug addicted, psychotic, whorish slut who looked and sounded more like a man than she should have didn't win a Gramaphone until 2005......

C'mon.....you may not be a fan of the music that Amy Winehouse makes, but it is art, and judged by a group of her peers within NARAS.....

Even today....those who were behind the Milli Vanilli charade were pretty impressive at their art, and produced, technically, a very good sounding album.

I was once asked to define art by a former wife...after considerable reflection and thought, all I could come up with was...."When someone buys it, it is art....to them."

Little-Acorn
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Got a chance to see Beyonce, at least. And, heavens be praised, she got her legs back, and is gorgeously voluptuous once again after ruining her figure skinnying down for the Dreamgirls movie.

There is a God.

dan
02-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Good thing Janis Joplin died so young, so that we would not have to face the thought that the drug addicted, psychotic, whorish slut who looked and sounded more like a man than she should have didn't win a Gramaphone until 2005......

C'mon.....you may not be a fan of the music that Amy Winehouse makes, but it is art, and judged by a group of her peers within NARAS.....

Even today....those who were behind the Milli Vanilli charade were pretty impressive at their art, and produced, technically, a very good sounding album.

I was once asked to define art by a former wife...after considerable reflection and thought, all I could come up with was...."When someone buys it, it is art....to them."

But, here's the difference between Janis and Amy (and why I consider the former art and the latter not): Winehouse's entire aesthetic is to imitate a sound that has already been created and explored. There's pretty much nothing new about her music. Nothing that had come before sounded that much like Janis Joplin, she was making her own sound.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Hell, my favorite album of '07 was from the Pipettes, whose entire act revolves around imitating the sound of 60's girl groups. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't think they should be given awards for it, either.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Good thing Janis Joplin died so young, so that we would not have to face the thought that the drug addicted, psychotic, whorish slut who looked and sounded more like a man than she should have didn't;) win a Gramaphone until 2005......

If I just look at it, say, at the Metropolitan Museaum of Art, but don't buy it, isn't it art?

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Not necessarily....to me....but to you it might be.....but you could walk out the door step in a pile of sh!t and wipe it across the sidewalk and make an impressionist go crazy for what you did.

It is so subjective, I don't have the energy to critique people's art....whether singing or painting, sculpting, etc....If I like it, and buy it, it is art....TO ME.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Not necessarily....to me....but to you it might be.....but you could walk out the door step in a pile of sh!t and wipe it across the sidewalk and make an impressionist go crazy for what you did.

It is so subjective, I don't have the energy to critique people's art....whether singing or painting, sculpting, etc....If I like it, and buy it, it is art....TO ME.

What if you don't buy it because it's a tad expensive? Or you find a piece you like a little better? Is the first piece not art then? What about beautiful statuary that is not even for sale? I guess I don't get the "it's art if I buy it" idea. :dunno:

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-12-2008, 02:56 PM
....did you get the part where I said...."TO ME?"

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
....did you get the part where I said...."TO ME?"

Yup. I still don't see it as a defining methodology for art, as I explained above. I don't have a definition either; I just thought it could be an interesting discussion. Never mind.

diuretic
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
sigh.....I guess I'm getten old...who is Amy Winehouse..??

What happened to the Eagles, Bob Seger, Marshall Tucker Band, etc, etc....:laugh2:

They did their backs in trashing hotel rooms on tour so they're all taking it easy nowadays :D

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I thought I explained what it meant to me.....if someone sees value in it, either intrinsically or monetarily is definition enough for me....sorry, I am practicing being Mr P for a future life.....

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I thought I explained what it meant to me.....if someone sees value in it, either intrinsically or monetarily is definition enough for me....sorry, I am practicing being Mr P for a future life.....

Gotcha.

(Mr. P will be so flattered!)

hjmick
02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
To paraphrase Potter Stewart, art is hard to define, but I know it when I see it.

dan
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Really, if you take a step back and think about it, art is so subjective, it seems futile for there to even be critics of any capacity. For someone to create something and have it elicit an emotional reaction in another human is really amazing, if you think about it. The fact that there are people who get paid to critique this phenomenon is really pretty sad.

Hey, maybe I finally have a topic to do a blog on!

Abbey Marie
02-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Really, if you take a step back and think about it, art is so subjective, it seems futile for there to even be critics of any capacity. For someone to create something and have it elicit an emotional reaction in another human is really amazing, if you think about it. The fact that there are people who get paid to critique this phenomenon is really pretty sad.

Hey, maybe I finally have a topic to do a blog on!

Go for it! I would be interested to read it.

dan
02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Go for it! I would be interested to read it.

To tell the truth I've been very intimidated by the blog in general. I feel like nothing I want to write about will fit into the general theme of the blog, and anything that I start writing ends up being really long.

hjmick
02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
To tell the truth I've been very intimidated by the blog in general. I feel like nothing I want to write about will fit into the general theme of the blog, and anything that I start writing ends up being really long.

Dude, don't worry about it. Write whatever you want and screw the "theme."

Heh...Listen to me...I haven't posted on my blog since October. Hell, maybe I'll do that tonight, maybe I'll even tackle current events this time...